• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Couple of concerns after first trip on 18 SW

dyno was off the track, not the engine or the drive. THE TRACK
Gotcha, the confusion could be that a track Dyno reads +/- about half of an engine dyno, and you extrapolate for the final HP. So probably 100-105 hp from the track dyno?

Good numbers for a tight motor and I'm assuming stock clutching

These are not major but still bother me. First one is the amount of ice that builds up on the inner cooler, we had 3 machines with varying amounts so we decided to compare intake temps and found it does affect intake temps but not drastic, within 20 degrees for the most part. The 18 Thundercat had way more ice build than the 2 winders did but we attributed that to simple harassment from the rider (Spaceman). Can't remember but did someone cover the inner cooler screen with frog skinz to help with this problem? The second thing is how fast they overheat when stopped. Had this happen a few times and it only takes a minute or 2 and the machine will shut down on it's own. I like that feature but don't like how quick it happens. These are minor quirks I know but thought I would share my thoughts. Pretty minor because the rest is all smiles, power, shocks, chassis, ride quality, ergos, handling, did I mention the power? Now have 850 miles on and no issues.
How was you taking intercooler temps,do you have a probe mounted into the intercooler? If so can you show a pic,my koso gauge x-2 comes with a probe just so I can mount it into the cooler,so I was wondering what kind of temps we would see?

I did the barn of parts mod to mine....no more plugging up with ice. There is a thread in the sidewinder threads.View attachment 136216
Hey terry,did you install your probe that came with your koso for intercooler temps? Where should we mount it,and what should we see for temps,in generak?

The ice on the intercooler was more on the T-cat than the winders for sure. at WOT the intake temp went to max. I was indeed harassing the other sleds as Snowden stated. Mileage is improving as we break in. The throttle response is amazing. 8" Woodys, rear springs on two and couplers on three and it rails the corners at high speeds. It is darting at lower speeds but I have always put up with that for the trade in high speed cornering.
What are you reading intake temps on,is there a screen on speedo that allows us to see intercooler temps.

These are not major but still bother me. First one is the amount of ice that builds up on the inner cooler, we had 3 machines with varying amounts so we decided to compare intake temps and found it does affect intake temps but not drastic, within 20 degrees for the most part. The 18 Thundercat had way more ice build than the 2 winders did but we attributed that to simple harassment from the rider (Spaceman). Can't remember but did someone cover the inner cooler screen with frog skinz to help with this problem? The second thing is how fast they overheat when stopped. Had this happen a few times and it only takes a minute or 2 and the machine will shut down on it's own. I like that feature but don't like how quick it happens. These are minor quirks I know but thought I would share my thoughts. Pretty minor because the rest is all smiles, power, shocks, chassis, ride quality, ergos, handling, did I mention the power? Now have 850 miles on and no issues.
Our snow is all but gone, some ice patches and a few good corner's to test stuff on the track, but I saw 220 after I shut it off. 165 running around, but with little snow, climbed to 190 before putting it in garage. Then, out of curiosity, I left the key on, and the bar graph was buried hot!! Lol! So I started it and it immediately dropped, as expected, then went below 200 slowly. It didn't catch fire or anything so I'm good!

What are you reading intake temps on,is there a screen on speedo that allows us to see intercooler temps.
Yes beast, lower left button allows you to switch from coolant temp, innercooler temp and one more but I'm drawing a blank.

Last edited:
The other one is a meat thermometer. It comes in handy when you are cooking a turkey around the turbo.
LOL hey they still come in handy when cooking deer meat out back on tail with hot dog cooker ha ha.

Yes beast, lower left button allows you to switch from coolant temp, innercooler temp and one more but I'm drawing a blank.

Battery voltage.

Holding the bottom right, or is it bottom left...dam. ...it's was like a half hour ago ! I'm getting old....anyway, it will show bar graph only or bar graph and numbers.

Back