• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cylinder specs, repairs and aftermarket cams? Need help.

K-fab

Extreme
Website
www.minibuggy.net
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro powered off road car.
I've searched and haven't come up with any specific answers, so hopefully someone here can help me out.

I went racing this past weekend and lost a coolant line. Needless to say I overheated the engine - pretty badly.

First off - all my measurements are accurate. I've calibrated the tools correctly and my measurements are very consistent.

My Phazer's jugs are out of tolerance.

Out of the manual: Bore 77.000 - 77.010

The jugs are supposed to be measured down at the bottom, in the middle and then at the top. Both parallel to the crank shaft (A) and perpendicular to it (B).

I cannot measure at the very bottom at present, as the pistons are still in. The measurements I'm giving are top and as far down as possible, using a bore gauge.

My measurements (mm) come in as:
Cylinder 1:
Top A 76.95
Top B 77.10
Lower A 76.98
Lower B 76.99

Cylinder 2:
Top A 77.00
Top B 76.99
Lower A 77.02
Lower B 76.99

You can see that I've ovaled #1.

Oh - the head's warped by .0045" Tolerance is .003" so I'm out by .0015". Looks like I'll be lapping it tomorrow.

Top of the jugs is out .0025"

The manual makes a comment about boring a damaged jug - I thought these jugs were Nikasiled. I also didn't see any info on oversized pistons in the manual.

So, here are the questions:

Do I get the jugs bored and replated? (and by who? -or is it whom? never can remember...)
if so
Does Yamaha offer oversized pistons? I'm not a fan of Siezco's so I'd like to stick with OEM.

Should I turn around and bite the bullet and order new cases? Looks like I'll need to replace pretty much anything that attaches to the top of the connecting rod (pistons, rings, wrist pin), so I'm into the engine pretty deep as it is.

Next question: Does anyone make aftermarket cams for the engine? Preferably one that brings in torque a little sooner. Or for that matter what cams are available if any?

Heck, anyone have a spare engine they want to part with?

Thanks in advance.

You wouldnt bore it.You would have to send the whole case to a place like Millenium and they would strip the Nikasil and replate it then bore it.

Thanks for the lead on the Phazer engine - I've pm'd the seller.

I talked to Millennium this afternoon. Looks like they'll do the work.

I have to send them the upper case half with everything stripped out of it - no metal other than the casting.

They'll strip the Nikasil, bore to round and then re-plate the bores. The tech I talked to said that it wasn't any issue to build the bore up and then put it right back to the 77.000mm bore. $435 for both holes.

Well, the rebuild idea's going down hill quickly.

I've never seen anything quite like this - especially three times.

Both of the counter balancer nuts have decided to strip themselves in place. Spin, spin, no removal.

And, of all things, the bolt that goes into the end of the crank shaft is doing the same thing. Spins in place, but doesn't come out.

CRAP!!!

And before someone asks, I broke them all free with a wrench, not an impact wrench. I waited until I was sure they were buggered completely up before I put it on them. Spin, spin...

Paperweight time.

Oh, wait. I'm a complete and total moron.

They're all three LEFT HAND THREADS!!!

It doesn't mention this until you get to the assembly notes.

I managed to twist off the bolt that holds the primary drive gear in place of and noticed the threads went the other way. Duh!!!

A quick check of the two nuts and sure enough, they're lefties also.

They came right off when turned the correct direction. WHEW.

Two nuts and a bolt - that's easy. Dodged a big bullet there.

An update (if anyone is interested...)

The upper case half/jugs was sent to Millennium last week. I should get it back next week and according to Millennium it shouldn't be an issue fixing it.

I also followed the given link for the parted out sleds. The "new" 07 engine arrived yesterday and I'm installing it into my car this morning. All is good.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out here. I know I'm one of the lesser members on this site, but each time I've needed help, you guys have stepped up and been a great resource. It's very much appreciated.

You're putting a Phazer motor in your car?

Not a car like you guys are thinking.

It's called a Stadium Light. Off road racer. Used to race in the stadiums all over the country in a professional series like the Mickey Thompson Grand Prix.

Weighs about 650 lbs, has 14" of travel in the rear, 12" up front. Handles like it's on rails and flat rips.

DSC00354.JPG

Check my YouTube channel and you'll see videos of the cars, from the cars, etc.

Back