• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

darting notturning in corners

Re: darting

snoxraceteam said:
We have 2 attaks, and put 6 inch woody's carbides on both, and that made it easier to turn, but didn't really help the darting. So we put a set of Simmons skis on one of the sleds, made a remarkable difference! Steers like a dream and no more darting! We also did some more adjustments with the set-up etc., but really find that the skis are making the difference. We will be adding stiffer torsion bars as soon as Bender gets them in stock!

Why stiffer torsion bars? The longer track attack was darting too?>

sway bars

We are putting on the heavier sway bars so that they won't be as tippy. They will control the attitude more and take away alot of the tendency to want to roll.

Check your toe-in for sure. We had two in our group that were toed-in an inch or better. We aligned them to the track and toed them out correctly, approx. 1/8", and put the Ski-doo ski savers on the ski's. (They fit perfectly by the way.) I haven't had much riding time since because of the weather, but from what I have done so far they seem great. I am running the Studboy 6" shaper bars by the way, with 96 Studboy 1.375 power points down the middle.

Darting

I am in agreement with X-APE!

I took about a 1/4 to 1/2" off on the spring pressure on the front ski's from the stock position. This was on the attack after noticing that darting and steering were bad.

Helped Resolve two things:
1. Almost elliminated the darting - will be adding Simmons ski's to complete the fine tuning.
2. With less ski pressure it made it much easier to steer and I still had plenty of control over the sled in corners.

I left the control rod in stock position for the time being.

That's just my 2 cents worth.

Blueice, the only thing that you did was take weight off the front by softening the springs, which will alleviate some of the darting but the minute that you hit the bigger bumps you won't have enough spring pressure.

The darting is created by the keel on the ski getting into the ruts that are already in the trail.

Simmons skis don't have the big deep keel and their keels are also wider and on the outside, not in the center, so they don't try to track down the other ruts, they make their own.

We have C&A's, SLP Powder Pro's, and and we also have the Arctic Cat with the dual runners, and the Simmons work the best of any of them.

Great to hear you love the Simmon's skis! I have just put them on myself for this season and can't wait for the first rip! ;)!

I for one am going to increase center skid pressure as I'm convinced this is why there is loose feel and darting on some conditions. How? Loosen the front ski springs about 1/4~3/8" If you have excessive push, dont do this. The x-fer adjuster will have to be adjusted too. freakin rain now I hope it dont ruin what snow I had, I have sooo much testing to do on my Gt.

When you pull up the limit strap will you not also loose traction as your transfer will be less?? no ,yes??? My inside ski on the attak can be pulled up just by pulling up on the bars slightly and turning a liittle but I think pulling on the limiter strap will make it spin worse then it does.

It's all give and take-rider preferance---But hey, it's not that hard to make these changes, less time than it would take you make your next reply on here.

Just be happy that the only reason you are going to take your tool kit out is to make adjustments-you could use this to make your buddies feel better when they have to work on their 2-smokes---"See I have to work on mine also dude!"

I also think a stiffer sway bar would stop alot of inside ski lift,my attak front end feels like the older sleds that had no sway bar as standard equipment.After we put sway bars on these machines they were alot more solid and predictable on the front end and very little tippyness.This is the first sled in 8 years that I can lift up on one ski at 30 miles/hour and ride for a 1/4 mile across a field.Please let me know where and when I could get a stiffer sway bar.THANX

Hey all
Thanks for the tips on the darting. After reading much on it, I think I'm going to try the duece bars.
Does anyone have a website I can order these from? Thanks

Burnt Turkey said:
Hey all
Thanks for the tips on the darting. After reading much on it, I think I'm going to try the duece bars.
Does anyone have a website I can order these from? Thanks

You could try:

RoyalDistributing.com
DennisKirk.com

Back