• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Did the research....still need help.....call me a dummy....

SERPAGS

Expert
OK, read all I can, but still need to ask.

I am 240 lbs (more or less) . Just rode my first 200 miles and bottomed out, so needless to say, I am not a happy camper.

What do I have to do to keep the rider height at its highest? From what I read, the Spring must be 10.3" with the sled end suspended. Is this correct? (before I do this)

I also wanted to know about the transfer rod. Does my weight make a big difference ( no laughing ), if yes, what should I set it at.

If anyone has pics to show setting, would be great.

Thanks.

What sled do you have.. Apex GT or Attak GT ?

If you have the apex gt,,, you will need a larger spring available from you dealer.. called the 5.5 spring.. stock is 5.0..

Im not sure about the attack..

Transfer rod has little if anything to do with the spring being too light for the rider.

You will for sure need a stiffer spring and also stiffer damping.
My suggestion would be to go for the scandinavian setup.
Ohlins USA (+1-828-692-4525) will be able to help you with this.
You can also talk to any of the other suspension companies mentioned around here, like Pioneer Performance, for qualified advices.

Ditto the above regarding the heavier spring.

I weigh 255 lbs. more or less, and found that even the 5.5 spring didn't cut it on my Apex GT so I ended up with a 6.2 spring.

In comparision testing during back to back runs on the same trail, I found that my Apex GT will now just soak a bump that causes my stock setup Phazer FX to bottom.

The transfer rod doesn't seem to care about rider weight. Setting more transfer has the skis wanting to come up under acceleration and less transfer keeps them planted but causes the track to spin more. My buddy likes to set more transfer to lift the skis over oncoming bumps but I find the skis coming off a little spooky when accelerating out of corners.

Personal preference there, bottom line go for a heavier spring to help with your bottoming. It worked for me.
:rocks:

BTW, you're only a dummy if you don't ask the question. We're all here to share what we know about our Yamahas and make each other's riding experience better.

I weighed in this morning with all gear at 229.4 lbs.

Anyone know what the preload measurements should be for maximum load ?

The acceptable range for installed length on the Apex GT rear shock is from 10.4" - 11.25". For your weight and riding style I believe you should look into the bigger spring (either a 6.1 or a 6.5). Or if you want to try to install the stock (4.9) spring at 10.4" that would be the max you could set the stock spring at however if you read the other post above about setting the sag/ride height you will find that even at 10.4" with the stock spring you will not achieve the proper amount of sag. It will take a bigger spring to get you into the proper range for sag and I believe the ride quality you are looking for.

SledderSteve said:
I weigh 255 lbs. more or less, and found that even the 5.5 spring didn't cut it on my Apex GT
I am 220 lbs dressed and I use my sleds only for rough trail riding.
I ended up using a 75 N/mm (7.6 kg/mm) spring together with the scandinavian damping spec in my shortie and now I am using a 80 N/mm (8.1 kg/mm) spring together with the scandinavian damping spec in my Warrior (Attak). Both of these combinations offer very good rough trail performance and there are no comfort problems at all (some people worry about this as soon as stiff springs are discussed).

I just had the 6.5 spring put in my 2007 Attak. It is set on clip 2 cam 3. the sled rides smoother now then stock and does not bottom as easy with no more donkey kick. I weight 230 lbs with out gear. This combined with the C&A razors have made this sled great.

Port-Parts said:
The acceptable range for installed length on the Apex GT rear shock is from 10.4" - 11.25". For your weight and riding style I believe you should look into the bigger spring (either a 6.1 or a 6.5). Or if you want to try to install the stock (4.9) spring at 10.4" that would be the max you could set the stock spring at however if you read the other post above about setting the sag/ride height you will find that even at 10.4" with the stock spring you will not achieve the proper amount of sag. It will take a bigger spring to get you into the proper range for sag and I believe the ride quality you are looking for.

If I put it at 10.4" it will always be better than, say, 11", right? I will not damage the spring, will I ????

Back