• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do you have trouble turning your phazer?

flyinghigh

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Phazer xtx
Was was riding the 2014 xtx phazer in the ditches of Iowa today. First time out this season, and still only 110 miles on the sled to very new to it.

Seems like it really is hard to steer and tends to "push" or snowplow vs turn. Perhaps I need to shift my weight over the skis or something...did not have enough time to figure it out.

Perhaps it is a ski issue? Seems like people are always putting different skis on the machine.

Might want to check your toe out. Might not hurt to search ski shimming either.

I am assuming what you are asking about is that the sled doesn't turn when you turn the bars? IMO the dual carbide skis like the Tuner Skis I think you are running, don't turn well in powder. They turn great on a groomed trail but don't have enough keel to bite in the powder. I had a set of Pilots on my Phazer for awhile and they were terrible off trail. So if you are going to ride more ditches and off trail you might consider a different ski with a more aggressive single keel like C/A, Yamaha Mountain, or even older single carbide stock Yamaha skis. G.B.

Gone Blue...that is what it feels like...they don't turn enough in the powder ditches to avoid the culverts :)

Culverts are mean. I think they jump around.

2 things come to mind. First the phazer likes a lot of body english. The moRe you move the better it is. Second, stock skis are not the best option if off trail stuff is you main riding.

Good luck

Do you know what length carbides you are running?

Stock, my '09 GT would barely turn in certain conditions. Solving this required two things:

-Tightening limiter strap to put more ski pressure on front.
-6" Stud Boy shaper carbides (with stock single keel skis).

Try the free stuff first, tighten up the limiter strap a bit and try again.

Having a 14 xtx I've experienced the exact same problem.
After adjusting skid, sway bar off, on off, shock setting the only thing that fixed it was getting the stock round bar off the outside and the stock 2" off the inside and putting in 6" shapers inside and out. Common seems to be 4outside, 6" inside but being aggressive I chose the above.
I posted pics of my stockers after 800kms or so. Somewhere here

Thanks for all the replies. Sound like skies and shapers are the way to go. Any more suggestions on which skis for ditch powder riding?

Where is the sway bar and how hard is it to remove? C&A makes a lot of skis...which ones do you recommend?

The sway bar is the bar that goes under your control arms connecting the two. Very easy only 6 bolts I belive. The hardest part on mine was taking half the skid plate off. Also note that most people that do remove the sway bar ride mostly off trail. You should have a quick search on the topics already on this forum to see what best suits you. Though it is only a 10 min fix to put it back on if you do not like it. Apparently it is not so good with alot of trial riding. As for the C&A's I don't remember the model I have I think they are the RZ.

Where is the sway bar and how hard is it to remove? C&A makes a lot of skis...which ones do you recommend?

C&A MTX skis and NO sway bar here. Works great for ungroomed/loose which is all I ride.

My 2015 Phazer XTX had the same issue. It came with tuners. Not sure if the 14 had tuners as well? It would plow non stop. It was also very tippy. I found the suspension setup caused most of the problems. The factory setting had the rear torsion spring on soft. And the coil over spring in the front of the rear skid almost maxed out. The rear skid was taking too much weight off of the front end.

I set the front coil over in the front of the rear skid as loose as I could get it. I backed the nut off so it barely applied spring pressure while the sled was off the ground.

I also set the rear torsion spring as hard or as stiff as I could get it.

The helped get most of the weight to be carried by the front end and the back of the rear skid. Instead of the front of the rear skid taking weight off the front end.

I backed off the spring pressure in the front end as well. I did this to lower the ride height and get the A arms at less of an angle. This made it corner and handle much better.

The tuners worked much better after that. Then I added 4 inch carbides to the inside and 2 inch to the outside.

We kept the sway bar on. If we rode mostly off trail we set it up a lot different.

This setup works very well for my girlfriend and I. It is all rider preference and how you want it to handle. This may not feel right or work well for you. But its what we like.

Thanks for all the replies. Sound like skies and shapers are the way to go. Any more suggestions on which skis for ditch powder riding?

I really enjoyed slydog trail hounds with 6" shaper bars on my phazers, nice light ski, good amount of flex..steering was great, no more darting either..The stock skis suck..

Back