• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does the Motor Look likes it's mounted too high?

morrisond

Expert
Looking at the side on picks it looks ike there is an inch or two of space under the Motor - Isn't one of the goals for good sled design to get the weight low?

Me thinking there is no way they have been running this sled for a year - I'm guessing this was a last minute decision and this was cobbled together.

There is no way this chasis was designed for this motor.

Till we see it in person not sure but it looks like the motor is hung just like in a Nytro.Better than mounting it to the heat exchanger like cat did.Just one improvement it seems.I agree though lower should be better.

I agree the motor is mounted very high in the viper. This was the first thing I noticed on pics compared to my turbo. My turbo procross handles awesome and flat, I wonder if the nytro motor being so high mounted this might hurt. They tilted it back so the top of motor is not so high which is good. I still think the would have been better off turning motor around and moving clutch and mag so it would front exhaust, this would have set them up for a turbo setup much better IMO.

My procross turbo the crankshaft/primary clutch center is below the top of the brake rotor.
DSC03240.JPG

this viper pic shows how the crankshaft/primary clutch center is at least 2" higher then the procross
3img.jpg

Dan

That space is where Cat will put the fuel cell, so that they can mount a rear turbo under the seat.

ROCKERDAN said:
I agree the motor is mounted very high in the viper. This was the first thing I noticed on pics compared to my turbo. My turbo procross handles awesome and flat, I wonder if the nytro motor being so high mounted this might hurt. They tilted it back so the top of motor is not so high which is good. I still think the would have been better off turning motor around and moving clutch and mag so it would front exhaust, this would have set them up for a turbo setup much better IMO.

My procross turbo the crankshaft/primary clutch center is below the top of the brake rotor.
DSC03240.JPG

this viper pic shows how the crankshaft/primary clutch center is at least 2" higher then the procross
3img.jpg

Dan

As the two pics are taken at different angles there is no way to confirm or deny your claim. Please take a picture of your snowcross at the same angle as the Yami and post it.

completely different angle, very obvious. If you bring the camera angle down with the cat pic you will see that space between the break rotor starts to grow.

He would have to remove lower panel to get the Viper angle.If you look at a-arm mounting bolt to clutch top it would be a better comparison shot straight on.I will get a pic tomorrow.

LOL..you guys crack me up. I realize my pic is not straight on and did not take the pic for this thread, i was obviously doing a mockup of full shiftout with different length belts.

I dont just happen to have a straight on pic, I have been into my sled dozens of times, and trust me I know where my crank is at and how low my motor is. I know exactly how much space is under my motor too, barely nothing.

looking at the viper pic which IS STRAIGHT ON pretty much, you can see the viper motor is no where near as low as my turbo.

there is no way you can see daylite under my motor, viper looks to be alot of it.

I also noticed the motor height yesterday. I don't know if it will do any good to compare the Nytro motor to an 1100 because they are different engines. The crankcase could be larger on the 1100 and give the appearance the weight is lower but since it is an empty cavity while running, it wouldn't really matter.

I still wish they would have run the exhaust out the front. Seems like they went through a lot of mickey mouse engineering to run the exhaust the way they did. I suspect cost was the biggest consideration since the head would have had to have been retooled for a front exhaust and why do that when you can offer the same motor in both the new Viper and a bunch of other existing chassis?

Still, too early to say if this is a big deal or not. Anyone remember the '07 video when they intro'd the Nytro? They made a big deal out of how low the engine was mounted in the chassis. The guy pointed to the side panel and said the crankshaft is right here. At the end of the day it didn't matter because the Nytro was and is very top heavy. The Viper will likely feel way less top heavy just because of the normal style gas tank and the better chassis.

The other thing, I think the 1100 motor is likely taller than the Nytro but I can't verify that. It just looked like a really tall motor in the pictures I've seen over the years.

This pic is from our 2013 600 Sno Pro 600. The top of it's primary is about 1" below the top of the tunnel, if you extended a line across. From the pic, it looks like the Vipers primary is about 2" above the same line, so the Yamaha engine appears to be about 3" higher in the chassis.

Attachments

• Sno Pro Primary.JPG
    Sno Pro Primary.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 137
AKrider said:
I also noticed the motor height yesterday. I don't know if it will do any good to compare the Nytro motor to an 1100 because they are different engines. The crankcase could be larger on the 1100 and give the appearance the weight is lower but since it is an empty cavity while running, it wouldn't really matter.

I still wish they would have run the exhaust out the front. Seems like they went through a lot of mickey mouse engineering to run the exhaust the way they did. I suspect cost was the biggest consideration since the head would have had to have been retooled for a front exhaust and why do that when you can offer the same motor in both the new Viper and a bunch of other existing chassis?

Still, too early to say if this is a big deal or not. Anyone remember the '07 video when they intro'd the Nytro? They made a big deal out of how low the engine was mounted in the chassis. The guy pointed to the side panel and said the crankshaft is right here. At the end of the day it didn't matter because the Nytro was and is very top heavy. The Viper will likely feel way less top heavy just because of the normal style gas tank and the better chassis.

The other thing, I think the 1100 motor is likely taller than the Nytro but I can't verify that. It just looked like a really tall motor in the pictures I've seen over the years.

On the bold...you are 100% correct and I agree....I would have put the motor the other way for ease of turbo in future and much lower mounting. But cost to produce two different nytro motors would be too much i guess.

Yes the twin ZUK is a very tall motor compared to the nytro physically. But the crank is typically always the heaviest part of the motor, luckily they tipped it back alot so head was not too high up.

Im sure the motor turned around mounted 2" lower would handle better, but cost so much more it wasnt even considered cause these chassis handle so well to begin with.

If they had turned it around a factory front mount turbo similar to my cat would been a simple copy in many ways to my cat. With motor this way my guess is a factory SC if they come with apex replacement.

Dan ;)!

lakercr said:
This pic is from our 2013 600 Sno Pro 600. The top of it's primary is about 1" below the top of the tunnel, if you extended a line across. From the pic, it looks like the Vipers primary is about 2" above the same line, so the Yamaha engine appears to be about 3" higher in the chassis.

totally agree...2" for sure higher then cat.

they really wanted to keep that motor exhaust to rear, really makes it look like the yammie motor corp does not intend to build a new motor ever! They keep using old motors and now in other manufactures chassis to boot.

I wonder if they will actually keep building other models in japan or end up going all procross in next few yrs.

:o|

ROCKERDAN said:
lakercr said:

totally agree...2" for sure higher then cat.

they really wanted to keep that motor exhaust to rear, really makes it look like the yammie motor corp does not intend to build a new motor ever! They keep using old motors and now in other manufactures chassis to boot.

I wonder if they will actually keep building other models in japan or end up going all procross in next few yrs.

:o|
New motorS and chassis (100% yammy designed and produced) over the next 5 years. One model per year. So we've been told by Yamaha

Back