• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does the Motor Look likes it's mounted too high?

actionjack said:
I'm thinking thinking room for a hot dogger.
Seriously. The reviews are all that it handles great and corners very flat.

Go back and re read all the nytro reviews lol seriously, it will be an upgrade to the nytro chassis...just dont think its optimally engineered...its an off the shelf motor..show horned into a procross chassis...assembled by arctic cat...

I need to get rid of the SRX because everytime I ride it I realize how much easier it is to sidehill and corner.Sure wish we could have both suspension and SRX type sidehilling and cornering.

I really think the engineers at Yamaha and cat are aware that low center of gravity is desirable. As always there are compromises cost being the leading driver.

. I suspect the sled will handle great or Yamaha would have gained nothing in this collaboration.

Wouldn't the Cat 1100 be a taller motor due to the fact that it's a twin of basically the same displacement? Could actually be a lower CG on the Viper? We can speculate all we want...ride it and see what seat of the pants feels like? It seems pretty obvious the sled handles better than any Yamaha to date.

I think a lot of people are worried about a non-issue quite frankly. If the sled handles terribly because the engine is an inch or two higher then the chassis must be quite poor.

As far as benefits of a rear exhaust... I can see two. First having the intake up front allows the engine to breath nicely pulling in lots of fresh air. Second keeping that hot manifold and pipe out back and cooled by snow helps keep underhood engine temps down. My Dad has an AC 1100 and there are all sorts of warped stuff under the hood because of extreme heat. The Viper is going to have cooler under the hood temps and everything lasts longer when you keep the heat down.

Last I wonder how many here are going to ride a current 1100 AC and then the new Viper with the 1049 and say... "Wow I can feel the extra 2 inches of height on the engine?" Answer. Nobody. It is layed back nicely and will balance the chassis without any issue. Don't let yourselves get all worked up over something that does not appear to be an issue. If it was a huge issue this sled would have never been released because no one would buy it over an 1100 or 800 Cat if it handles terribly.

**sj** said:
actionjack said:
I'm thinking thinking room for a hot dogger.
Seriously. The reviews are all that it handles great and corners very flat.

Go back and re read all the nytro reviews lol seriously, it will be an upgrade to the nytro chassis...just dont think its optimally engineered...its an off the shelf motor..show horned into a procross chassis...assembled by arctic cat...
Unsure why you quoted me. I fail to see your point. If it is that pre-production reviews were that the Nytro handled great with light steering and flat cornering yet the production models handled like a rabbit on crack I still fail to see the analogy.

Actual TY riders are getting on these sleds, with the motor mounted too high, and are reporting here that it handles great. If they miss the mark once the Vipers are delivered and the motor is in the same place it won't be because the motor is too high.

Time for a Hot Pocket

Im sure it will handle great, and much better then current nytro.

However if the motor was dropped low to bottom of chassis without 2" of space under it, the sled would have handled alot better. That is all we are saying.

I dont think the exhaust is cooled by snow, i have not seen any pics of exhaust going under tunnel, just ontop of it.

My biggest worry is the chaincase on this sled. Since all of us cat guys have major seepage of lube due to poor design.

These cats handle amazing, best handling sled ive ever owned. So no doubt it will be alot better then any other yammie handling to date.

Dan

ROCKERDAN said:
Im sure it will handle great, and much better then current nytro.

However if the motor was dropped low to bottom of chassis without 2" of space under it, the sled would have handled alot better. That is all we are saying.

I dont think the exhaust is cooled by snow, i have not seen any pics of exhaust going under tunnel, just ontop of it.

My biggest worry is the chaincase on this sled. Since all of us cat guys have major seepage of lube due to poor design.

These cats handle amazing, best handling sled ive ever owned. So no doubt it will be alot better then any other yammie handling to date.

Dan

my point to the nytro is if you looked at the prior to delivery posts and reviews ...was raving awesome...

right on Dan...fwiw Im fairly sure the jackshaft and inside of the gear box is all the stuff we had on the procross...I think those drinking the coolaid should prove their point by bucking up for a snowcheck...once they have walked even slightly in our footsteps (even with yams added parts) then they might understand...but hey..what do we know...we just owned them (other than a nytro motor and clutches) and worked on them...

btw...most who ran the procross...added wheels..solid rear axle..braces...more rigid and heavier jackshaft etc etc...and so ...the light weight started going away....

Not drinking the coolaid here, but WTF? The motor being 2" high when the sled handles well is well a non issue.

Let me say that a different way. If that gap exists under the motor on those sleds that are being ridden now to positive reviews, its not a concern. Yes that photo looks odd showing that gap but it works in spite of that appearance.

I'd sure be worried more about all the other problems I know the ProCross owners have been having. I've followed the PC forum on HCS quite a bit. I wouldn't snowcheck one personally. I want to follow the Viper forum for next season before I take a sip.

Simply a safety precaution... LOL
Less chance of ripping a hole in the oil filter.
Skid plate not required.

Back