• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drag n fly test today

DoktorC said:
I think more to the point...you don't hold world records without using the best available technology. There's alot more to that 1.1sec 60' time than just belt grip...

Go to a race and see how many 2speed clutch weights you find.

So, are you saying, it is used alot or not at all?

DoktorC said:
I think more to the point...you don't hold world records without using the best available technology. There's alot more to that 1.1sec 60' time than just belt grip...

go to a race and ask to see their clutch weights and see how many show you what they run! they aint what you think..

Well...I know for certain what the fastest Yamaha's run and it isn't 2-speed weights. I guess if we were to look at the slower guys maybe I would be surprised :).

There is no arguing how well a two speed clutch weight works for racing. However, for 90% of the riders out there, my opinion is they are way to agressive for the trail. In a perfect world, traction would always be there, when the reality of it is, traction is a constant variable on lakes, hardpack roads, loosepack trails...etc. Blowing your track out because of too agressive of clutching does you no good and in most cases the guy with equal horsepower who can hook it up, will win.

If you guys want to drag race in controlled enviornments such as ice drags and grass drags, then yes the 2 speed weight is hard to beat. My point is that for most riders, a 2 speed weight is to agressive for the trail. Just my humble opinion.

SledFreak said:
DoktorC said:

Sorry...I totally wasn't clear there. I should read my posts lol. I haven't seen any Yamaha's running 2-speeds on the circuit we run on....

BlueByYou2000 said:
There is no arguing how well a two speed clutch weight works for racing. However, for 90% of the riders out there, my opinion is they are way to agressive for the trail. In a perfect world, traction would always be there, when the reality of it is, traction is a constant variable on lakes, hardpack roads, loosepack trails...etc. Blowing your track out because of too agressive of clutching does you no good and in most cases the guy with equal horsepower who can hook it up, will win.

If you guys want to drag race in controlled enviornments such as ice drags and grass drags, then yes the 2 speed weight is hard to beat. My point is that for most riders, a 2 speed weight is to agressive for the trail. Just my humble opinion.

I defintely agree with you on the traction issue.

Traction is easy...run just enuff engagement so you do not lite up the track. Every condition needs different clutching. I can get very very aggressive clutching; lower the engagement & come out of the hole like a rocket by squezzing the belt real hard at initial launch. Engagement is just a small part of the aggressive clutching equation.

BlueByYou2000 said:

actually one of the things I like most about the two speeds is you dont need to bring it in hard...and I've found modulating the throttle is much better due to the smoother engagement I've set up...so to me for breaking trail for example..I trench less etc.....I guess it's all in the setup..
I can run less total grams of weight...engage smoother...not slip the belt and pull like a banchee...all with less compression braking!....mine is set up for fun agressive trail

DoktorC said:
SledFreak said:
DoktorC said:

Sorry...I totally wasn't clear there. I should read my posts lol. I haven't seen any Yamaha's running 2-speeds on the circuit we run on....

okay...what do they run on your circuit then? and what circuit is it?
maybe you guys have something better...I'm curious

sj said:

Everything but 2-speeds lol. COSDRA...I'm sure we all think we have something better or we'd use 2-speeds. I'm not trying to argue with you SJ I'm just telling you what I see. I know for a fact that the three quickest (stock class) Apex's in the world (who all were at Hay Days) don't run two speed weights. They are also within hundreths of a second in 500 and all three use different weights.

All of this is meaningless anyways if we're talking about a trail setup anyways. I run Dalton weights in my trail sled...pulls good...not too much heat from slippage or excess belt pressure.

I'm not arguing with you either...I know the "there's always someone bigger and faster" deal..
I'm curious now...what do they run???

I know for a fact it aint supertips..

DoktorC said:
sj said:

Everything but 2-speeds lol. COSDRA...I'm sure we all think we have something better or we'd use 2-speeds. I'm not trying to argue with you SJ I'm just telling you what I see. I know for a fact that the three quickest (stock class) Apex's in the world (who all were at Hay Days) don't run two speed weights. They are also within hundreths of a second in 500 and all three use different weights.

All of this is meaningless anyways if we're talking about a trail setup anyways. I run Dalton weights in my trail sled...pulls good...not too much heat from slippage or excess belt pressure.

I to race the odd event in COSDRA.

Not really meaningless for trail setups.... I think all of us talking here may use our sleds for trail riding, but we all drag race in some sort of fashion. I have had both Allen's kit vs Prolines and there is not much between the two, now that Proline has changed his spring configurations, it's much better...

I guess the bottom line for me is there is more than one way to skin a cat (pun intended). Turk, around here EVERYONE is running studs, and Im pretty sure you dont, so for me, ill stick with standard polaris profile flyweight everytime for MY riding style and for the lake racing we do. I have seen several clutches grenade using original heelclickers and tons using hammertimes. I know the dran-n-flys and second generation hammertimes are holding up better, but damaging my primary, secondary, belly pan, clutch guard and hood isnt a risk I am willing to take with clutch weights that have moving parts. Call me old school, thats just me.

Also, I dont need to be right about any of this, just playing devils advocate and pointing out there are many ways to get performance out of CVT clutches.

BlueByYou2000 said:
I guess the bottom line for me is there is more than one way to skin a cat (pun intended). Turk, around here EVERYONE is running studs, and Im pretty sure you dont, so for me, ill stick with standard polaris profile flyweight everytime for MY riding style and for the lake racing we do. I have seen several clutches grenade using original heelclickers and tons using hammertimes. I know the dran-n-flys and second generation hammertimes are holding up better, but damaging my primary, secondary, belly pan, clutch guard and hood isnt a risk I am willing to take with clutch weights that have moving parts. Call me old school, thats just me.

Also, I dont need to be right about any of this, just playing devils advocate and pointing out there are many ways to get performance out of CVT clutches.

If you are referring to me...I have around 200 studs..

if you arent studded and lake running..I dont blame you...no benefit...

offtopic...if you know anyone that is interested in poo pin conversion set with poo 10-56's for cheap let me know!

Back