• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive axle bearing

Hi there just wondering what number or brand bearing most are using for the drive axle on the brake side for best last and fit
SKF or FAG are very good quality bearing.
The number is 6009-2RS

Stock OEM bearing calls out 6009-2RSC3. The C3 indicates looser internal clearances. IMO, as already stated, SKF, FAG are good but I use bearings from others like NTN, Koyo, NSK. IMO use bearings made either USA, German, or Japanese, NOT China.
Not sure if they're available in the size you need but the best is supposedly NTN Black Ice bearings.

Technically, no. All external (ID, OD, width) are exactly same. Some have said they had to press the bearing out of the caliper housing. Technically, that means the outside of the bearing was compressed to some degree, which means technically the OD got a tiny bit smaller and presumably the ID wasn't changed. The OD got closer to the ID which used up a tiny amount of the clearance in the bearing.
Typically, C3 bearings are used in applications where there is a definite press fit (either ID or OD or both). I don't know if our application qualifies or not. I don't know what Cats' engineers intent was in the design we have. (Did they intend for the OD to be press fit into housing)? The bearing is held in with a snap ring so would it still be necessary to press it in? IMO, yes, since if there isn't any friction between OD and housing, the bearing could spin in the housing, just like the situation with the bearing ID and the track shaft.
I would get a C3 bearing. They are readily available.

Just put the OEM bearing in there. It will last the season unless you do over 6k miles a year or something like that. I changed my OEM bearing at 7500kms last season and the original bearing was still good.

Yes my bearing is still all so good 4500 miles but I noticed a little bit loose on the shaft so was going to take shaft out and go over things thought I should put a new a new bearing in at the same time I guess

My Caliper was shot at 8800mi. New warrantee caliper came with new bearing. 15000 on it now. So stock bearing is good enough. Now if it spun on shaft there might be a micro loss of material gone from ID of inner race. Sure looks like it on ones I saw but not measurable with what I have at home shop. If that's truly the case then a new bearing would be called for for sure since we want it as close to shaft size as possible to avoid spinning or even for any solution to work as well as possible.

Yes my bearing is still all so good 4500 miles but I noticed a little bit loose on the shaft so was going to take shaft out and go over things thought I should put a new a new bearing in at the same time I guess
Your driveshaft May be toast

May.... lol. If that inner race is loose on the the shaft then its toast.... Welcome to Cat!

Back