• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ECU

steiner

Staff member
Have a 2009 Apex LTX sitting in the shop. Its running on 3 cylinders. Probed into it and its cyl #3 thats not firing. Swapped coils, still no fire. Traced the trigger wire ( gray/orange) down to the ECU and it tests good. Can not get a ground pulse at the coil when cranking so I am thinking its the ECU. Thots?

I would imagine it's possible that the transistor (or whatever it is) for that cylinder ignition trigger is burnt out. Unless you can find someone with the same sled that you can borrow the ECU from, it's difficult to diagnose.

Is power and ground to the coil good? Wire trace to ECU is good but are the pins on the ECU OK? Have you tried using diag mode to fire the coils?

There is power to the coil on the red/white(?) wire. Same wire runs to all 4 coils. The grey/orange wire shows power when ign is on but no ground pulse when cranking. Tested another coil. Trigger wire pulses to ground when cranking.
Took the ECU out and checked the pins. All looked good and consistent. Tested the gray/orange wire from the inside the connector to the inside of the other connector. All good.
Have not tried to fire the coil via diagnostics.
No ECU's to borrow from way up here in the remote north. In fact this is the 3rd Yamaha sled I have seen out here over the past 10 years of coming out here.

What happens if u do the spark test through diagnostics?

How did you test the wiring from ECU to coil connector? If just with a ohm meter make sure to load test them. You can show continuity with a meter but not be able to carry current on a circuit. If wiring checks out sounds like it may be the ecu

Its only providing ground as a signal. There isn't any real load there. I agree, it feels like it could be the ECU.

@steiner while you are looking at the pins on the ECU reach in there with a set of tweezers or pliers if you have a fine enough pair and see if the pin itself is stable. Could have been a cold solder on the board that just gave way. With just one channel failing there is some probability that it is a physical problem. Is this your sled or someone elses?

Not my sled but trying to make in mine ;) Its been beat up a bit and shows signs of lack of care. Would make a decent parts sled.
Problem is getting it home as where this sled is, is a fly in community and all the winter roads have closed. Will do some diag. checks but fairly sure it will need a ECU that can run the Ohlins rear shock

Not my sled but trying to make in mine ;) Its been beat up a bit and shows signs of lack of care. Would make a decent parts sled.
Problem is getting it home as where this sled is, is a fly in community and all the winter roads have closed. Will do some diag. checks but fairly sure it will need a ECU that can run the Ohlins rear shock

Any 06-10 ECU should work to control the ohlins. @Stubbs has some experience with this.

Any 06-10 ECU should work to control the ohlins. @Stubbs has some experience with this.
@earthling is correct, all 06-10 Apex/Attak ECU’s are equipped to communicate with the Ohlins EC shock, as well, the body harness is also wired for the setup. If the sled did not leave the factory with the EC shock you’ll find an empty 2 pin connector above and to the rear of the chaincase that the EC shock sub lead will plug into for instant communication. No further set up required.

Back