• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Electric Shield Hookup

RichF7

Hey fellas, I'm new to this site. I have an 06 Apex. I was wondering where the best place to hook my electric shield is? Do I want to run it right off the battery or is there a better way? Thanks

If you go directly to the battery make sure you use a inline fuse. Years ago I did one right to the battery on my wife's sled without a fuse. One day, somehow, it grounded out at the helmet. When she was removing her helmet sparks were flying everywhere. It was extremely cool looking but she didn't appreciate it like I did. Anyway after some counseling and jewelery we are still married. And now I use fuses on everything. But back to your question........your best bet is to wire to the auxiliary outlet on the dash.

yox185 said:
If you go directly to the battery make sure you use a inline fuse. Years ago I did one right to the battery on my wife's sled without a fuse. One day, somehow, it grounded out at the helmet. When she was removing her helmet sparks were flying everywhere. It was extremely cool looking but she didn't appreciate it like I did. Anyway after some counseling and jewelery we are still married. And now I use fuses on everything. But back to your question........your best bet is to wire to the auxiliary outlet on the dash.

:rofl:
Funny story yox ;)!

Rich, this is in the electrical section, try and find the proper duse holder that Grizz posted up, much cleaner/better set-up than what I chose.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=91913

What size of carat................pause............... I mean fuse did you go with? MM-6

I didn't use a fuse, and it does spark a bit if you drop the cord and it hits the running boards, but no damage. I just didn't want a fuse burning out while on the trail and having to tear into the sled to change the fuse. No problems yet, and I've been running it like that for years.

I attached mine 2 the jumper cable hook up on the right side by the brake disc, works great, Ivw actually got 2 hooked up never sparked :-o

rindtj said:
What about using an adapter and plugging directly to the 12 V socket on the sled?

Like This !

Attachments

• DSCN0774 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0774 (Large).JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 106
A fuse down next to the battery would be a hassle to change. Grizz'a idea is the best I think. I ran a lead from the positive side of battery to under the headlight pod. There I put a fuse panel for the shield and gps. There is 2 emptys available as well.

quebec#1 said:
rindtj said:
What about using an adapter and plugging directly to the 12 V socket on the sled?

Like This !

That is what we use, been using that set up for 3 years now without any blown fuses.

Back