• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Electrical System Issue

tpayner19

Veteran
Ok, as usual for the new seasonof my '06 Apex RTX, did my usual oil change with filter and plug change. Realized my battery wasw totally dead and not taking a charge.

I picked up a new battery, however, it's is not a Yuasa battery, it's a bike battery that says it replaces the YTX14-BS (or whatever the stock battery is). Dealer said it would probably need to be charged for an hour which I thought was odd as it is a new battery, but I said ok.

Got everything changed out, oil and filter, and started getting everything back to gether. I fired it up and it sounded great. I noticed the display had a slight flicker to it as did the tail light. I shut it down and turned the key to the on position with out starting. Got a good, solid, strong light on the display. But when I fired it up I got the flicker again.

I dismissed it as I was tired. I went to work the next day and came back to a battery with very little charge left. It was unable to start the sled it was so low.

Could the battery be the issue or do I have a systemic issue? Plan on returning the battery and picking up a Yuasa. Disassembeled everyhting again and did not find any loose connections.

Little help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

sounds like the rectifier bridge in the voltage regulator is shorted out, and draining the battery and letting some a/c voltage into the system

Thanks Blue ER. Apparently I must have made sound pretty knowledgable on accident (I'm not) but I do not know which part the crossover and where is the regulator located? Thanks.

Todd

So I found the regulator in the front of the sled. I disconnected it and took it out. Inside the light gray connector I found engine oil. HOW IN THE F*&^ DID THAT GET THERE?????? Was able to clean out the the regulator male side, but I need to figure our how to clean the oil out of the femail end. Any ideas?

Back