• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine oil requirements

northof50 said:
I have a question?
I have herd that the one way clutch does not like full syn. oil.
has anyone had experience with this?

I have never seen a problem with the one way clutch due to oil. I have run straight 0 weight oil with friction modifiers for racing applications and have not seen any problems.

Use 0W30 semi-synthetic oil as specified in the Manual page 3. This oil is rated to -40 degrees F.

Yamaha and others also have a 0W40 full synthetic oil rated down to -60 degrees F. This oil contains a little bit of ester which causes the oil to stick to surfaces very well. The Yamaha oils also contain very little sulfated ash which means little to no sludge build up compared to other oils. The full synthetic oil also flows better at low temperatures.

As with other products the full synthetic will cost more but is a better product.

See the hot link below for more information. Hope this helps.

http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/yamaha-lube-options/
So is all the talk about don't use semi synthetic oil or it will coke your turbo bearings false?

I use the Mobil 1 delvac in my personal car and have 117,000 miles on it and it's still runs great. But Delvac comes in the correct viscosity required for my vehicle.

Yamaha requires a 0W30 semisynthetic oil or 0W40 synthetic because of the range of temperatures this vehicle will be used. They want the engine to turn over and the oil to flow at temperatures down to -40 F. 0W40 is the same grade and viscosity that the department of the Army specifies for all of their vehicles that could see arctic temperatures of -50 F and below.

You can use what ever oil you want and will probably never have a problem. However Manufacturers have spent thousands of hours, or more, in test cells torturing engines worse than you or I would ever think of doing.

You asked what Yamaha specifies for their Viper motors and I told you what they specify. What you use is up to you. Personally I will use Yamaha semi synthetic for the first two oil changes and then switch over to their full synthetic. I use semi-synthetic oil for the first couple changes because it helps things wear in. The synthetics are so slippery that things take much longer to break in. Once you move to full synthetic wear is almost stopped in modern engines.

The most important thing is to change your oil and filter within the manufacturers specification and it sounds like your doing that so enjoy the sled cause I'm sure the engine will out last most chassis.

Great info!
Just wondering what you consider "Broke -In", I just bought a 15 Viper MT-X with the MPI turbo kit, it has 2400 miles on it. I rolled it (without a ROV) and lost some oil. I want to top it off and want to make sure to run the right oil. I will defiantly go 0W30 or 40 but want to know if it should be semi or full synthetic with my mileage?

Thanks!!

At 2400 miles you are broken in. Everyone is going to have differing options when it comes to lubricants. Some are using Yamalube/snowmobile oil, some using automotive oil, some semi and some full. Personally I run full syn in everything. Toping up you'll be fine with either.

Use 0W30 semi-synthetic oil as specified in the Manual page 3. This oil is rated to -40 degrees F.

Yamaha and others also have a 0W40 full synthetic oil rated down to -60 degrees F. This oil contains a little bit of ester which causes the oil to stick to surfaces very well. The Yamaha oils also contain very little sulfated ash which means little to no sludge build up compared to other oils. The full synthetic oil also flows better at low temperatures.

As with other products the full synthetic will cost more but is a better product.

See the hot link below for more information. Hope this helps.

http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/yamaha-lube-options/
I know this is an old post but, Is advanced fuel economy mobile 1 0w30 oil good for the 998 sidewinders? is that the same as energy conserving II?

I have used Mobil1 full synthetic 0W40 Euro blend with high zinc load in my '08 Nytro and '14 Viper exclusively with no one way clutch issues, no reduced power issues, no reduced fuel economy -- no issues whatsoever. Nytro had 11,200 miles on it when I sold it and my Viper now has over 11,000 miles on it. There are those on here that will tell you they notice a power difference between 0W30 and 0W40, I call B.S. on that.

I have used Mobil1 full synthetic 0W40 Euro blend with high zinc load in my '08 Nytro and '14 Viper exclusively with no one way clutch issues, no reduced power issues, no reduced fuel economy -- no issues whatsoever. Nytro had 11,200 miles on it when I sold it and my Viper now has over 11,000 miles on it. There are those on here that will tell you they notice a power difference between 0W30 and 0W40, I call B.S. on that.
Do you think mobile 1 (advanced fuel economy) 0w30 full synthetic would be ok ,it's on sale right now or should i just get 0w40 european stuff

The cost difference between the 0-40 and 0-30 not that great so I would stick with the 0-40 Euro-blend

I run M1 0W40 Euro in my sled (973cc) and I have two friends with 2013 Nytro XTX (1049) and they use the same. No issues to report.

The cost difference between the 0-40 and 0-30 not that great so I would stick with the 0-40 Euro-blend
Thanks , do the sidewinders and 2006 apex use the same oil filter looking at the wix 51358xp

Thanks , do the sidewinders and 2006 apex use the same oil filter looking at the wix 51358xp
Not sure but, whichever oil filter you use make sure it has the bypass valve in it for either sled. The bypass valve is there to open incase something were to happen to the filter that does not let oil pass through the filter material.

I don't know for sure about the Sidewinder, but in the Viper, I don't think there is room to fit an Apex oil filter. The Apex/RX1 filter is longer and there is limited space between the motor and the cooler. I haven't measured it, but it doesn't look like it would fit.

I don't know how long the Wix 51358xp filter is, but if it's longer than the Sidewinder filter, I wouldn't try it since I expect there is the same amount of room to work with as there is in the Viper.

I don't know for sure about the Sidewinder, but in the Viper, I don't think there is room to fit an Apex oil filter. The Apex/RX1 filter is longer and there is limited space between the motor and the cooler. I haven't measured it, but it doesn't look like it would fit.

I don't know how long the Wix 51358xp filter is, but if it's longer than the Sidewinder filter, I wouldn't try it since I expect there is the same amount of room to work with as there is in the Viper.
Found purrilator Pl14612 @ 1.5x20mm x2.93 long and k&n m1-108A same but 2.8" long each around $10 and a box of mobile 1 0w40 euro 11.5 liters for $65

Last edited:

Back