• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine oil

Ridge line

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Phazer
hello Phazer riders , what oil are most guys using in the Phazer ? I put yamalube 0w20 in mine .i don’t have the owners manual to check .I bought the machine with blown motor and have installed another engine out of a smashed unit .

ow20 is too thin. 0w30 is what's recommended, semi-synth or synth. Better to use Yamalube or a motorsports or snowmobile specific oil as they usually have more zinc. I have always used Mobil 1 0w40 European formula because it does have a higher zinc content. It is a little thicker but a lot of guys use it.

Oil filters, I use K&N KN-147. It's a good quality filter and that nut just makes it so much easier. Yamaha filter is, of course, a good filter as well. Stay away from junk like Fram or other cheapo filters.

With Mobil 1 and K&N, I'm at 14k km and not a single problem. Also can't go wrong with Yamaha's stuff.

When changing the filter, just be sure that the old O-ring didn't stick to the block.

ow20 is too thin. 0w30 is what's recommended, semi-synth or synth. Better to use Yamalube or a motorsports or snowmobile specific oil as they usually have more zinc. I have always used Mobil 1 0w40 European formula because it does have a higher zinc content. It is a little thicker but a lot of guys use it.

Oil filters, I use K&N KN-147. It's a good quality filter and that nut just makes it so much easier. Yamaha filter is, of course, a good filter as well. Stay away from junk like Fram or other cheapo filters.

With Mobil 1 and K&N, I'm at 14k km and not a single problem. Also can't go wrong with Yamaha's stuff.

When changing the filter, just be sure that the old O-ring didn't stick to the block.
Awesome thank you , I figured it was to lite but wasn’t sure what it called for , I didn’t have any history on the replacement motor so I went with the lite oil for initial start up .no snow here yet anyway so I’ll do an oil change before I take it out .thank you !

I may switch to amsoil though, any feedback?

It's definitely a good oil, just overpriced IMHO, so I consider it a designer oil. I did over 3500km on Mobil 1 last season and it's just a dark maple syrup colour. If you change it and the filter every season, you'll be fine.

I have heard good things about the HIFLOFILTRO HF147 in previous posts.

Looked at some YT videos of their filters and I'm not that impressed. The anti-drainback seal seems to just be rubber rather than silicone like in the K&N, which is really important in cold weather. Rubber will be real stiff at startup. Not sure what the filtering media is but it sure looks like a regular cellulose material rather than synthetic. And they use a stamped steel spring rather then the better coil spring. A lot of motorcycle guys like Hiflo though.

Yamaha's filters are funky but maybe that's why the manual says they can be left in there for longer and change only the oil. I just don't like having old oil mix with the new oil.

It's definitely a good oil, just overpriced IMHO, so I consider it a designer oil. I did over 3500km on Mobil 1 last season and it's just a dark maple syrup colour. If you change it and the filter every season, you'll be fine.

Looked at some YT videos of their filters and I'm not that impressed. The anti-drainback seal seems to just be rubber rather than silicone like in the K&N, which is really important in cold weather. Rubber will be real stiff at startup. Not sure what the filtering media is but it sure looks like a regular cellulose material rather than synthetic. And they use a stamped steel spring rather then the better coil spring. A lot of motorcycle guys like Hiflo though.

Yamaha's filters are funky but maybe that's why the manual says they can be left in there for longer and change only the oil. I just don't like having old oil mix with the new oil.

Thanks for the feedback, I will say I have been lucky and found the mobil 1 on sale a few times. The low number of miles I have put on the last few years, I didn't even change the oil every season. My sleds sit in a "conditioned" building, so I don't worry about condensation getting into the oil. I might look into the K&N filters, got a good lead on them?

One more vote for the Mobil 1 and the K&N Filter

Back