• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Excell Sidewinder Exhaust and Power up kit for sidewinder

This past weekend I stopped over to Excell Motorsports here in central New York and put his latest exhaust offering on my Sidewinder LE that I purchased from Aaron.

I saw this and had to have this… This is a tunable power kit with a PC5 Power Commander and the Excell Exhaust for the Sidewinder. Kit offers you to choose your HP you want to put down. Base power is 210hp-ish but can go all the way past 250hp+

Went out yesterday for my first run with this kit for quick 50+mi ride with the wife and her Vector and this is what I learned with this kit. No drone noise like an Apex Exhaust. I asked the wife several times if she even noticed I had an aftermarket exhaust and she said, no… didn’t even notice it. At trail speeds 35~60+mph it sounds like a muffled Viper Exhaust. When you punch the throttle at the times I could hit the higher speeds that we were on and had enough room and get some boost and mph on this kit, it wakes up quick, really quick. The Excell exhaust sounds awesome like a V-8 pickup with a tuned exhaust. I’ve gotten used to the stock power, but this brings it to another level. I could only put a little over a ¼ turn before I hit over 9000~9100 rpm. This kit is 250+ hp, but the clutching I’m using needs heaver weight (no they are not the stock weights) with the flyweights I’m using. It really can’t get enough clutch weight to the sled. I’m looking forward to the next ride. It’s acting like a 260+ hp sled, just incredible.

Talking with Aaron at Excell, he's close to having the clutching 100% set and ready for all of us soon.

--Buster696--
Does it void warranty

Does it void warranty

No, that is what I like about this system and why I went with it. It's a bolt on with no adjustments being made to any of the electronic components/ecu. PC5 adds fuel for safety by adding throughout the fuel curve when the Excell exhaust is added keeping the A/F below 12.0.

--Buster696--

No, that is what I like about this system and why I went with it. It's a bolt on with no adjustments being made to any of the electronic components/ecu. PC5 adds fuel for safety by adding throughout the fuel curve when the Excell exhaust is added keeping the A/F below 12.0.

--Buster696--
Does it not leave a boost footprint ? I read on the first page the boost can be adjusted from 9-13 psi, I'm not sure what stock highest boost is but I'm assuming it's lower than that. Mainly I'm concerned about some kind of footprint left on the ecu ? And if guages can be installed or even needed to monitor boost and Afr's ?

--Buster696--

What is your basis for saying this won't void warranty?

no timing adjustment...pc5 is basically an electronic jet system...the dial boost is a manual boost controller where different size when dialing of the device (orifice) creates a different signal than stock (more or less) to control boost..so it can go the other way and turn boost down to 9 psi or up to 13 psi?

Just to add to SJ's comment here: I build high performance race cars for a living. So I have some insight here I can share. By no means do I intend to bash this product, there are always different ways/ strategies to do the same job for an intended result. Some ways are better than others, cost is something that drives the end results. I feel it's important for people to understand something like this pros/cons before they make a purchase.

In my industry, this is what is jokingly known as Dial-a-bomb. The reason it is referred to this way is because you are dialing up the boost manually without the ECU controlling it. The factory boost solenoid must be bypassed for this setup to control boost. In doing so you have eliminated safety controls of the ECU, since it can no longer control wastegate duty cycle.

Factory mapping strategy can account for things like overboosting on a colder day by changing wastegate duty to keep the boost at target. Bad gas at the pumps is another, the ECU will sense knock, retard timing, and pull wastegate duty to save itself or simply switch to a high detination map... That runs less timing, dumps more fuel, and runs LESS boost.

However in this case it will not be able to reduce the duty cycle for the turbo since the control to the ECU has been removed. Thus the term Dial-a-bomb.

On the plus side you have ease of use, and on the fly adjustability which we all love. Simply turn the knob to limit the orifice size leading to the turbo actuator to increase your boost. Cost is reduced because typically you would upgrade the boost solenoid to one that is faster acting to provide better response. In addition an ECU reflash is nessisary to map the boost solenoid, fueling, timing etc.

I hope this helps anyone trying to put things in perspective. One thing I will say is that I would run a boost gauge, AFR gauge, and Fuel pressure gauge at a minimum with any upgrades running higher boost and additional fueling.

Earlier today I was out at Excell giving input about the clutching setup I was running and got a new set of weights for my sidewinder when this was posted and wanted to clear up a few items with some comments and clarification(s). This is what makes this site great is that we can share our experiences and within the industry of performance motorsports and snowmobiling. My hope that as a customer of this setup it can clear up a few things about this performance kit for this sled.

This kit is regulated by the stock ECU settings from the factory. Yamaha did an excellent job keeping this sled from over boosting and even made a video about it. Tom from TY posted about the 9 sensors and ‘brains of the operation’. This kit does not bypass or modify the stock ECU curve at all so all off the safety features it provides are still there. There is mention of duty cycle and how the system needs some help to regulate this. Again, I’ll point to Yamaha and there conservative approach with this motor, turbo and boost/over-boosting safety features for the sidewinder owner who wants to add performance up to 250hp for the trail/lake.

As we all know the Sidewinder is limited out of the box at 13lbs of boost before it reacts from what I’ve seen, provides a code, etc. The issue is simply to additional fuel with a custom fuel map while understanding manifold pressure when adding boost. An aftermarket exhaust like the ones that are provided in this setup and this is where the PC5 comes in. Fuel is added with the increase and decreases with manifold pressure with the correct PC5 custom mapping. This dial system allow you to go from 9lbs up to 13lbs and if we remember 10lbs +/- is where stock is.

The PC5 with provided fuel map is a plug-in or sits on top of or scalable solution (depending on what term you like to use) to the exiting fuel curve with no need to adjust the ECU because Yamaha has taken this out of the equation for us. My feeling is that when the PC5 is readily available, most if not all of the performance companies will offer this solution with the kits with and without a re-flashed ECU, great product.

I really appreciate the ‘option’ of being able to run 9, 10 or up to 13lbs of boost on the fly per the condition and also the fuel situation that someone may run into. Got a good look at the A/F and Boost Gauge mount while at Excell as we discussed this and a lot more in the shop today. Now, back to getting some miles on this sled ;)

Last edited:
Earlier today I was out at Excell giving input about the clutching setup I was running and got a new set of weights for my sidewinder when this was posted and wanted to clear up a few items with some comments and clarification(s). This is what makes this site great is that we can share our experiences and within the industry of performance motorsports and snowmobiling. My hope that as a customer of this setup it can clear up a few things about this performance kit for this sled.

This kit is regulated by the stock ECU settings from the factory. Yamaha did an excellent job keeping this sled from over boosting and even made a video about it. Tom from TY posted about the 9 sensors and ‘brains of the operation’. This kit does not bypass or modify the stock ECU curve at all so all off the safety features it provides are still there. There is mention of duty cycle and how the system needs some help to regulate this. Again, I’ll point to Yamaha and there conservative approach with this motor, turbo and boost/over-boosting safety features for the sidewinder owner who wants to add performance up to 250hp for the trail/lake.

As we all know the Sidewinder is limited out of the box at 13lbs of boost before it reacts from what I’ve seen, provides a code, etc. The issue is simply to additional fuel with a custom fuel map while understanding manifold pressure when adding boost. An aftermarket exhaust like the ones that are provided in this setup and this is where the PC5 comes in. Fuel is added with the increase and decreases with manifold pressure with the correct PC5 custom mapping. This dial system allow you to go from 9lbs up to 13lbs and if we remember 10lbs +/- is where stock is.

The PC5 with provided fuel map is a plug-in or sits on top of or scalable solution (depending on what term you like to use) to the exiting fuel curve with no need to adjust the ECU because Yamaha has taken this out of the equation for us. My feeling is that when the PC5 is readily available, most if not all of the performance companies will offer this solution with the kits with and without a re-flashed ECU, great product.

I really appreciate the ‘option’ of being able to run 9, 10 or up to 13lbs of boost on the fly per the condition and also the fuel situation that someone may run into. Got a good look at the A/F and Boost Gauge mount while at Excell as we discussed this and a lot more in the shop today. Now, back to getting some miles on this sled ;)

well said...the factory ecu maintains control of max boost...if an attempt to bosst over that is made...the ecu will apply its failsafes...

also...you do not have to add the boost adder...you can just run the pc5 and the exhaust at be at 225 h.p. !

Got out again last night with the wife for a quick ride and I can’t tell you how much I’m liking this kit. Trails were good at first, but then got choppy and then the lake effect was kicking in with just a few hundred feet of visibility. So I turned the sled back to low boost at 225~230hp as we got from stop to stop with the lake effect machine doing it’s thing. Just an awesome thing to watch the snow come down that hard on Tug Hill.

Just before we got to the trailer I found good spot, turned it up to 250+hp, and gave her a rip just to remind me I could… :) :) :) Fun night and going out again tomorrow.

--Buster696--

will be out running the full setup tomorrow..curious...Im sure you have her clutched for the full hilt..whats it feel like when you turn it down and what rpms roughly? still fun? gas mileage? thanks!

Back