• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Donuts

On my Attak the donuts have lasted about 4000+ miles.
They have been changed twice in about 8500 miles.

Might try the copper donuts from WWW.SLEDTOYZ.COM
They look to be the way to go!
Believe they will seriously last.
Even if they only last twice as long, that is a big plus!

Ian is also an advertiser on TY.
Great guy to work with!

Rock :-o

Thanks Rockmeister, I have 4,000 miles on my Apex. My pipes don't rattle or seem loose not sure how to tell if the dounuts are gone.

polcat said:
Thanks Rockmeister, I have 4,000 miles on my Apex. My pipes don't rattle or seem loose not sure how to tell if the dounuts are gone.

One way to tell is when the sled is idling and warmed up good, by getting a pair of leather gloves on and holding your hands over the rear exhaust pipes to seal off the exhaust, and the sled should stall or almost stall out if the donuts are still doing their job. If you hear an exhaust leak under the tunnel, or the sled idle speed doesn't seem to be significantly affected by the blocked exhaust, they are probably shot or close to it.
Your gas mileage could also start to suffer, that is another sign.

FWIW, I wouldn't take a chance on them with that kind of mileage, it seems that mileage is typical of when they start to degenerate.

mine on the rtx are gone... when its cold it has a "exhaust sputter" cumming form under sled... when warm it goes away.. they are shot..

I have a few sets sitting in the parts bin for this... about 2 hrs it takes me now to change out... even with a few wobbly pops. usually get 3-4g miles.... 10600 on sled... second set shot.

I have 5200 miles on mine now, and they look like new, I took my sled apart today to change them for piece of mind, and i could easily put on a couple more thousand . But since i had it apart i changed them.

I just checked mine this week. (had a feeling they were bad). The two left ones were completely gone and the right ones were worn bad. Also had a crack around the y-pipe flange on the far left. had to change the Y-pipes. Went to stainless. 7500 miles on an 05 rx-1

When they get really bad, often the sled won't idle right either (too slow).

With my RTX I've got close to 9000 miles on it (haven't ridden it in 3 years though) and I've gone through 3 sets of donuts. One at around 4000, next around 7000, and the current set at close to 9000. My pipes are now totally shot too and Yamaha is installing new (stainless) pipes and a new donut design that is supposed to last much longer.

FYI, if you search the old posts you see my old 05 RX-1 also had issues with these exhaust donuts, but they used to last much longer with the SS pipes on it compared to the titanium pipes on the Apex.

Bought my sled just before last riding season. Wasn't given any service history so I bought all the usual suspects for a preseaon once over. Before I broke it down I tried the covering exhaust trick and my sled died immediately. I had all the parts including OFT oilite steering bushings so I took it apart anyway. Donuts looked new but clutch side Y pipe was cracked. Someone apparently changed donuts prior and left cracked pipe in place. My sled was idling slow before. I'll put the copper ones in 2 seasons assuming no issues develop with those. Job was a helluva a pain but will be WAY easier the 2nd time.

My 2007 Apex GT donuts were first replaced under warranty at 3000 miles in February 2009.

The donuts were replaced under warranty again at 6000 miles in April of 2011. The Y pipes also were replaced during this second warranty repair.

The warranty receipt shows the Y pipes as being p/n 8FR-14610-00-00 & 8FR-146120-00-00. Can anyone tell me which version of pipes the dealer installed (Titanium or Stainless Steel) and if I now have the preferred material of construction??

Not to be that Guy. But does anyone have more then 3k miles on a set of copper donuts?? I understand that the copper donuts arent supposed to break down. But honestly I would rather the donuts break down and replace them then have to replace a set of header.

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade here, but why do we buy Yamaha snowmobiles? Engine life, quality engineering and all around durability to name a few. I’ve read all the postings about copper exhaust donuts like the rest of us, and I was ready to pull the trigger on a set for my Apex, then reality hit me. Yamaha engineers do not cut corners! They also don’t follow trends.

If Yamaha engineers believed that copper exhaust donuts were a better option, they would have come stock on our sleds. Think about it.

Back