• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First ride impressions LTX LE!

WR450 nannies have nothing to do with the backfire screen. It is obviously totally up to you what you do with your sled but there are a lot of impressionable folks out there that might think they are going to get some great power gain by taking it off and finding themselves very unhappy later.
No there are a lot of people who think Yamaha does everything with performance in mind and that is absolutely without a doubt wrong. Wr450 is a perfect example of that and so is the foam air filter in Sidewinder. What anyone intends to do with that knowledge is thier choice and thier risk.

He's referring to a lot of posts on dootalk. He's pretty active over there as well. He didn't post his full review here where he said it was 3+ ft of snow when he rode and neither sled would break 102 in the conditions. On the other site they keep finding videos of mach zs and other older 2 strokes beating the new thundercat and sidewinder in drags 600 ft or less. You can go read all 160 pages of it if you want. It's quite entertaining.

3 Feet of snow I guess. Its all about weight then. The 850 would get on top and be gone, the extra weight in the SW would make it snow plow.

3 Feet of snow I guess. Its all about weight then. The 850 would get on top and be gone, the extra weight in the SW would make it snow plow.

#*$&@ skis...and maybe in need of the transfer blocks out....then try again...

asto the filter...fyi snowdust aint good for the turbo...so at a minimum pre filter...

I'm on dootalk.....seems as though they have mixed feelings on the 850. Some are getting beat by the 800etec's
So imho......no fear!

They are being tweaked, so don't be surprised if you get jumped out of the hole. Going to have to reel them in. Which won't be easy in 400-600'. Might not go good for you.
But.....i didn't buy a Sidewinder to win in the short race.
Top recorded speed on the 850's is under 110mph, not broken in, don't know if that matters much.....

Joe

Last edited:
the SW needs to be setup to hook...and if you do that its a different animal...(just like my 16' zr9kt) the 850 being a new motor and clutch ...well the verdict is out..history shows brp has never made a

not to mention theres a lot of 850 owners who dont even have their machine yet...

I'm on dootalk.....seems as though they have mixed feelings on the 850. Some are getting beat by the 800etec's
So imho......no fear!

They are being tweaked, so doing be surprised if you get jumped out of the hole. Going to have to reel them in. Which won't be easy in 400-600'. Might not go good for you.
Top recorded speed on the 850's is under 110mph, not broken in, don't know if that matters much.....

Joe
I had $ down on 850 and due to $ issues I had to bail. That chassis and hopefully the engine longevity of it still really appeal to me but I am kinda addicted to HP and Winder is the real deal. Torn right now since Cat/Yamaha needs a light narrow chassis like Doo and Polaris. My hope is something like that chassis with a Crossplane 4cyl next year. Will be envious of all those on 850's and Sidewinders! For this year I settled on a used 800 RR so I am in for a different kinda fun. Airtime! But there is always next year! Working on the wife already but admit she was right in stopping me from buying new this year. Dang $. If Yamaha comes through I will not ask permission it will be done. Wish I could have them all!

The 850 is a piece of art, no doubt! I'm not sure if it's living up to expectations, like the Sidewinder.

Time will tell.
Yes for sure. I think if the motor lasts majority will be very happy. Triple digits are still reality and if it can do it in deep snow that's better than a Cat 800 which is just a hair faster than my Viper but stock. I think a Sidewinder might get me in trouble especially with the good suspension they have now. Sure would be fun on all the rivers around here though! Someday I may Turbo the Phazer and put a cat front end on it. That would be my idea of a perfect sled but will never see that from a factory!

So imho......no fear!

They are being tweaked, so don't be surprised if you get jumped out of the hole. Going to have to reel them in. Which won't be easy in 400-600'. Might not go good for you.

Joe
joe ,i/ve had 1 of mine 114 already gps with 78 miles on it .clutch parts on the shelve for when i get over 400 on it .i also now have my sw running where's bottom to top i don't think the i''ll have a problem with the 800s or 850s .1 things for sure the sw doesn't like deep ,unpacked snow .my 850 loves all conditions like a fine tunes dirt bike .

joe ,i/ve had 1 of mine 114 already gps with 78 miles on it .clutch parts on the shelve for when i get over 400 on it .i also now have my sw running where's bottom to top i don't think the i''ll have a problem with the 800s or 850s .1 things for sure the sw doesn't like deep ,unpacked snow .my 850 loves all conditions like a fine tunes dirt bike .
Very good Sir! I wouldn't want to get the winder in the deep. Lol! Just doesn't sound good.
Total respect for the 2smoke. Except running balls out.....which is why I purchased winder.
Still have a couple of them in the barn. Just in case.

I never wanted to compare both. Cause both have a very different purpose!

Thanks, ken.....you are the man!

I got my new SW LTX-LE home yesterday .
I have kept my 2015 Apex XTX , as a second sled , to decide which one I like the best .
First impressions are , even on low, the hand , thumb , and seat warmers, are too hot !!!!!

StevewithOCD , Did I use too many commas in the reply ?

Back