• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First ride impressions LTX LE!

it's not a motocross, not much dust going in that filter anyway...you want to prevent snow dust IE water going in though..

When you guys are racing other brands first thing you should do for power is toss that air cleaner as far as you can.
what would you put in its place,todays race was dirty as hell and even dusty as most of the fast sleds were 144-163 " long,with 2" to 3" tracks and all hauling the mail in 400 feet,track lose grass,and mu SW could not get out of its owne way,with 192 studs,but zero transfer,finally I loosened my straps all the way out,now we are talking,my blocks had been gone for 3 weeks,only thing I changed in primary was spring,left the air filter along,never thought about that having any effect,my sled rolls real free.

what would you put in its place,todays race was dirty as hell and even dusty as most of the fast sleds were 144-163 " long,with 2" to 3" tracks and all hauling the mail in 400 feet,track lose grass,and mu SW could not get out of its owne way,with 192 studs,but zero transfer,finally I loosened my straps all the way out,now we are talking,my blocks had been gone for 3 weeks,only thing I changed in primary was spring,left the air filter along,never thought about that having any effect,my sled rolls real free.
For dirt I would rig a K&N up. Be so easy to do. No Sidepanel, no cover. For snow/ice I would bypass the whole box and get air from under bars or right out the side with frog skin filter

Because I saw the difference in and out. It's free to just try and if you like it make something more permanent,check afr etc.

I've seen a similar debate for years regarding the backfire screen in 4 stroke mx bikes. Some say it robs power but many experts say it doesn't. Personally I see nothing wrong with the filter set up for the average guy. I have to believe that Yamaha thinks it is the right thing to do to put that filter there.

I've seen a similar debate for years regarding the backfire screen in 4 stroke mx bikes. Some say it robs power but many experts say it doesn't. Personally I see nothing wrong with the filter set up for the average guy. I have to believe that Yamaha thinks it is the right thing to do to put that filter there.
Yes. Just don't race someone without it!

I would run the filter. Have you ever seen what dirt does to a turbo?

I guess it was a mistake even mentioning it. Laugh at the backfire screen example above. Ever ride a WR450 with and without all the nannies? Racing isn't for everyone. Power almost always involves compromises. It's out there and you know so 100% your choice what to do.

Have any performance shops run sidewinder on dyno with/without airfilter to substantiate any advantages?

Airfilter actually blocks airflow routed thru clutchguard. Perhaps clutches may run cooler without it?

Last edited:
make me laugh the doo doesn't stand a chance!

I guess it was a mistake even mentioning it. Laugh at the backfire screen example above. Ever ride a WR450 with and without all the nannies? Racing isn't for everyone. Power almost always involves compromises. It's out there and you know so 100% your choice what to do.
WR450 nannies have nothing to do with the backfire screen. It is obviously totally up to you what you do with your sled but there are a lot of impressionable folks out there that might think they are going to get some great power gain by taking it off and finding themselves very unhappy later.

Back