• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Flash Update Coming Fall-2016

i have a late 16.5 ltx le and mine has kicked back once and has a poor surging idle, so i dont know if the problem is fully fixed yet

i have a late 16.5 ltx le and mine has kicked back once and has a poor surging idle, so i dont know if the problem is fully fixed yet
It was just a rumor that 16's got better flash. If there is one out there that has the rough idle and kick back then its just been proven false.

My idle jumps from say 1500-1550. Not sure if that's considered a surge or not.

What are you guys seeing on your gauges?

More sound. Not steady idle. Was something most 14 owners noticed right away when we got the 15flash.

My idle jumps from say 1500-1550. Not sure if that's considered a surge or not.

What are you guys seeing on your gauges?
I have an early 14 RTX SE. Bought it late October of 15. Only able to put 2k miles or so on the sled this year, crappy riding conditions. The sled is new, never started until I bought it from dealer. During break-in I did notice a slightly inconsistent idle and a hot start now and then. Coming off an Apex I was not expecting the idle to hunt the way my Viper was. I thought maybe I had gotten some bad fuel or maybe she needed to be "broken-in".
At 400 miles I brought my sled to Rogers Sport Shop in Fort Kent Maine and had them perform a transformation. Danny and the whole crew at Rogers are exactly what my RTX SE needed.
After listening to what was happening and hearing what I wanted out of the sled, Danny (lead mechanic) and Robby (owners son) laid out a plan to elevate the performance and handling. The approach taken by the Sport Shop was spot-on, API turbo, gears, custom clutching, gauges, carbides, and some other minor tweaks. When I saw the release of the Sidewinder I was not surprised, basically Rogers and other shops across the country have been building Sidewinders for the past 2 1/2 years.
I see 1450/rpms on my gauge and if it hunts up 50/rpms or so if its cold or rock solid as the day goes on its not a big deal. Any more than 50 and I might call the dealer.

I hope this is a recall. So it covers all vipers from 14-17 cuz I don't want to have to pay to have my ecu flashed. I have a 14 and ZERO issues, but I had the ecu flashed as soon as the first flash was available for hard starts and hot stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamaha service rep told me it is for all the sleds, including my 2014.

I'm sure the update will be of no charge.

They're replacing starters that are out of warranty, so I'm sure they would rather flash the sled then fix the starter.

Yamaha told me they would handle it as a goodwill fix to owners.

For me sitting on the fence for sometime before pulling the trigger on a new leftover 2014 LTX SE this is some good news. Just bought it this past Labor Day. Haven't had any experience yet with no miles. If indeed they have a fix I'll be very happy as this has been stuck in the back of my mind.

How is it Mitsubishi electronic's when the ecu still says Arctic cat/ Continental even on the 16 and 17's

It's not. Just Sidewinder got the Mitsubishi ecu. Who said it was?

I think the confusion is someone above mentioned Yamaha worked "with" Mitsubishi to develop the new flash.

So it it a recall I don't understand the goodwill part? I haven't had any problems with mine

If the new flash doesn't include a explanation from Yamaha covering why one sled worked great previous flash and others ran terrible after flash I will have to pass on the flash. Don't trust them right now.

"Don't trust them right now." That my friend is the long and short of it. All you have in this world is your reputation when it comes to a business like Yamaha's. I don't know about the rest of you, but I bought a Viper almost exclusively based on Yamaha's reputation for building a quality product. I have owned their boats, outboards, snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc. My high opinion of them came to me from experience, it can leave me the same way. We may go on owner forums for the other manufacturers and find far more severe and frequent complaints, I don't know. Please tell me they changed the rods because they expected better quality and performance, and not because some bean counter wanted to save some yen. Good reputations are very difficult to create, and bad ones blow with the wind. They need to jump on this aggressively. Their top selling sled is not even made by them. Keep this up and sleds will be a part of their past, which for all I know is part of their business plan. My ten cents.

Back