• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Float plate vs. skid plate

froines

I have been looking at both the OFT skid plate and the Skinz float plate. I am leaning toward the float plate. Anyone used both, or have a preference? Thanks.[/i]

Roest is the only way to go. All other plastic type plates don't hold up to the freeze thaw cycles and will get pushed right off your sled. I tried everything to stop it but gave up and got the full aluminum one from Roest. Still have icing issue but the skid plate holds up.

My aftermarket Yamaha one is now an ordament on the shop wall and I kick myself for wasting money on the pos.

Ps the factory original got lost one day while out riding and I couldn't figure out why my belt kept slipping. Pretty scary when you relise illy #*$&@ it's completely gone and my oil
Filter and pan where just waiting to get tagged

kilometers said:
All other plastic type plates don't hold up to the freeze thaw cycles and will get pushed right off your sled.
I have the aftermarket yamaha plate (non float style) and it has help up great. Offers a lot of protection and does just fine. Not sure if they even sell them anymore...

Wider may be better, untill it freezes up and is touching the ground or broke off... Plus if you were to weigh the ice/snow built up, your looking at 25+lbs!

Get the Roest plate! You will not be disappointed.

tapex_07 said:
Wider may be better, untill it freezes up and is touching the ground or broke off... Plus if you were to weigh the ice/snow built up, your looking at 25+lbs! .
I recently am switching from the aftermarket yamaha skid plate to a skins float plate. I am hoping that the float plate will keep the snow from packing in the a-arms and making it difficult to steer, and save some weight as well.

ruffryder said:
tapex_07 said:
Wider may be better, untill it freezes up and is touching the ground or broke off... Plus if you were to weigh the ice/snow built up, your looking at 25+lbs! .
I recently am switching from the aftermarket yamaha skid plate to a skins float plate. I am hoping that the float plate will keep the snow from packing in the a-arms and making it difficult to steer, and save some weight as well.

Big mistake. It does exactly the opposite on all counts.

Roest said:
Big mistake. It does exactly the opposite on all counts.
We shall see. I got some other mods to the front nose / skid plate that I am hoping will alleviate the situation.

All I know is that a stock type skid plate is unacceptable for me. I have had to stop and kick the snow out countless times so that I can actually turn..

Roest Plate its TOUGH!!!!

Had plastic float and they are right builds really bad with ice, switched to Roest and no problems and is bullet proof!!!

A rock I hit coming down after a climb, hidden just under the snow.

IMAG0333-1.jpg

Back