• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox Megafloat rear shock upgrade?

NY AttakGT

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Any idea if Yamaha is offering the Fox Megafloat rear shock (like in the '11 Apex SE) as an upgrade? If so, got a part#?

And will it fit an '07 Mono suspension or just the Mono II?

--Steve (O.C.)

I would caution that there may be some "hype" developing around this shock already. Remember that adjusting the original shock preload is possible as well. Yes, this one's easier to adjust, but that's only going to help the guy that needs to do that frequently. Once set for your weight/tastes, you won't likely be messing with it again. You'll know when it set to xx psi, it works best.

It's still the valve stack inside the shock that's going to tell the real story regarding how well this shock works - and that's NOT easily adjustable. Guys with the Floats on the RTX sleds can tell you that adjusting the air pressure was one thing, but that didn't fix the messed up valve stack calibration (way harsh in the stutters?) on the earlier ones?

Point is, the jury's still out here, and will be untill a few of them get some miles on them ridden under varying conditions. At that point we'll know if these will need to be revalved to work right as well - and can add the price of doing that to the purchase price to judge value more accurately?

sx7001 said:
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/accessories_apparel.php?section=aa&model=3466&apparel=1941&accessory=4967&

As sx7001 pointed out, its right in the Yammi parts catalog. It'd be cool for someone to try this out on prior year's Apex's to see how they like it. I bet installation would be easy.....

Also as we see, there is a crowd out there hostile to Floats for some reason and don't have an open mind that these may actually be really, really nice.........

Mike

The Fox Megafloat shock will be offered in the US for $799.95 retail. The part number for it will be SMA-MEGAF-FS-00 and will include the shock and the air pump. It will fit all sleds originally equipped with Mono-Shock style suspensions (05-up Mono I or Mono II). I am possibly looking at putting together some sort of special on them if there is enough interest.

Mt Viper Mike said:
Also as we see, there is a crowd out there hostile to Floats for some reason and don't have an open mind that these may actually be really, really nice.........

Mike

I think recently that crowd has been ahicks and myself. I wouldn't say either of us are hostile about the floats. I am actually searching for some FII's to try myself but I am skeptical just from my past experience with them. To think they haven't improved is not realistic so I keep a open mind on everything but if someone is comparing purchasing a set of these over spring shocks I think its fair to give a little assemement of each from our experiences and let them make the decision.

Being pro-float like you are is no different then being anti-float. I think they are really great shocks for the right application, if I find some float II's and they work better on the trail I will let people know my experience, if they are worse like the first gen floats were I will still let people know.

Its not about hositility but finding the best product for our individual riding styles.

:Rockon:

<<<Also as we see, there is a crowd out there hostile to Floats for some reason and don't have an open mind that these may actually be really, really nice......... >>>

Mike, if that comment is directed at me, you've badly judged the intent of my comments with absolutely nothing to back you up.

I'm not saying the Float design is bad and I'm hardly hostile to this idea, I'm a fan of them as well. I said earlier someplace else if I had a mono I'd be game to try one (I can change that calibration easily). What I'm suggesting is Yammi's track record regarding suspension calibration leaves a little to be desired? Or is that a hostile comment as well?

If you'd like to bet the price of one of these that's changed, that's great! Let us know how it works?

snowtech just reviewed this shock on page 40 of the newest mag..
quote from article
we would highly suggest this upgrade if you would like more suspension capability in rougher conditions than you have right now.
they claim the difference is nothing short of stunning.
I dont believe everything i read but i do take it into consideration and weigh it against other info.
I like what i hear about this shock so far.
I also believe that if this new air shock does not bottom as easily as my orininal kyb shock I will end up with suspension rails and linkage lasting a lot longer
I love, love, love the mono suspension BUT i waste far too much time under my sled fixing broken the suspension parts.
This is looking like a possible answer to me i just hate the price

RTX said:
quote from article
we would highly suggest this upgrade if you would like more suspension capability in rougher conditions than you have right now.
I dont believe everything i read but i do take it into consideration and weigh it against other info.
I also believe that if this new air shock does not bottom as easily as my orininal kyb shock I will end up with suspension rails and linkage lasting a lot longer
I love, love, love the mono suspension BUT i waste far too much time under my sled fixing broken the suspension parts.

I rode all the 2011 apex models last season on two ocations. They all handled the same. The one with the best ride was the xtx which has a ck skid.
I do definitely see this fox shock as a sick upgrade for the older mono, but i dont think you can get any less time from fixing broken skid parts just because of this shock though.
For the price, i'd personally buy a different skid and swap it in, but i believe the fox float will give you much better ride also.

I'd certainly consider this shock for my Mono, because I think it'd be nice. I (obviously) am prefering Floats over coil overs.

However, I'm thinking a stretch job with Timbersled treatment by scmurs at OFT would be more fun..........

Port-Parts said:
The Fox Megafloat shock will be offered in the US for $799.95 retail. The part number for it will be SMA-MEGAF-FS-00 and will include the shock and the air pump. It will fit all sleds originally equipped with Mono-Shock style suspensions (05-up Mono I or Mono II). I am possibly looking at putting together some sort of special on them if there is enough interest.

Kevin you have my intrest. I am thinking this would be nice in the Attak.

Heck, a Mega Float would match my front shocks.......

5576f327.jpg

:Rockon:

Mike

Maxout01 said:
RTX said:
quote from article

I rode all the 2011 apex models last season on two ocations. They all handled the same. The one with the best ride was the xtx which has a ck skid.
I do definitely see this fox shock as a sick upgrade for the older mono, but i dont think you can get any less time from fixing broken skid parts just because of this shock though.
For the price, i'd personally buy a different skid and swap it in, but i believe the fox float will give you much better ride also.

I disagree with you on the repair statement.
I have had my shock rebuilt and revavled 2 times.
The first time i had it rebuilt, during disassembly to take out the shock i found a broken front w arm assembly which i replaced with a new w arm assy. Pioneer rebuilt my shock with a heavier spring and valving for a 240 lb agressive trail rider. (I weigh 220) the shock bottomed often and eventually the seals blew out toward the end of the season. I limped it along 3 more weekends till the season ended knowing i was beating my suspension up but wanting to keep the season alive as long as possible. When i removed the shock i found that i had once again broken my new w arm and cracked a rail. I replaced the rail & sent the w arm out for beefing up and powder coating. I had hygear revalve the shock for a 260 lb very agressive trail rider . hygear did a great job and the shock works great and bottoms less but it still bottoms out more than i would like it to. I firmly believe the impact load that the w arm takes every time the suspension bottoms is what causes the w arm to break. Take a look at pictures posted on TY for yourself. They all crack and break right around the shock mounting tabs. I know from my experiences that the fox floats when set up properly take a lot to botton and even when they do it is not a harsh bottoming like this kyb shock does.
I have no intention of replacing a skid i am in love with for something else.
If i can stop the bottoming with the replacement of a shock i am sure i will resolve my only issue with this suspension.

RTX - man god love ya for being that loyal to that CK suspension, if you were closer I would let you hop on my ZX2, it never bottoms, and makes the sled feel 100lbs lighter no joke.

To me you proved that the suspension is not properly designed when your shock valveing for 40lbs more then you actually weigh.

A real suspension transfers, doesn't force ratcheting, as soft initial stroke manners for the trail chatter and big bump no bottoming resistance. It seems with the CK you get to pick 1 to fix and live with the other 2.

Back