• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox QS3-R

well i dont know a ton about shocks but i have 4500 miles on my qs3-r and they seem to be working like new..do i get them rebuilt just because someone told me too?
Yes! Fronts and center especially. I have no doubt oil is very dirty and Nitrogen low by now. If you send them to me can send you pics of the old oil.

IMO, I think you're getting close to mileage/time when they should be serviced. Like you, I had about same mileage and thought they were still like new. After servicing, which was primarily flushing and replacing the oil (also changed the charge caps to Schrader type), I was surprised at difference. I guess even decent shocks pick up moisture in oil. As long as you have the time since it's summer, may as well get them done.

I'm in the same boat. 13000 kms on my QS3s. Rides like it did when new. I'm wondering the same.

I just had my QS3-R's refreshed by cannondale for the 3rd time on my 2018 winder with 7500 miles. You can tell the difference in the ride immediately. AS the oil breaks down from moisture it fades forcing the spring to do more work. This past season on our last last ride of the year I knew I had something going on as my sled became harder to steer. What I found this spring was a rock had been tumbling around inside the suspension and hit the center shock rezzi can pretty hard and put a hole in it allowing the oil to seep out. Sent all 4 out to Steve for a refresh and a new rezzi can and all is good again. It doesn't cost much for a refresh....new oil and nitrogen. Its cheap insurance.

Back on my Apex I had the monoshock lost all nytrogen during a long trip due to lack of maintenance on my part. Not fun when moguls came around. My rear heat exchanger had the scars to prove it.

I would say that the first rebuild is the most important. That's when you can flush out all the debris from the manufacturing process. You wouldn't believe how nasty the oil is in those shocks. The oil seems to be cleaner during subsequent rebuilds.
I have also seen shocks that don't have a full nitrogen charge from the word go.

Next ?.do I need to pull the skid?are the fronts easy?

The fronts are easy. You don't need to pull the skid. Remove 2 idler wheels in front and remove the bar that holds the straps and the front shock comes right out.

Back