• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Full Season Review of Camso Storm 150 Track on SideWinder's

I just took off my Ice Storm at 6,000 miles having run the TD SM Tunes. Track looked great with zero missing lugs. I bought a new Storm 150 2-ply and put iGrips in the new one. I'll be running the TD Performance Tunes this year. Hope the track holds up as I really like the traction of this track.

I just took off my Ice Storm at 6,000 miles having run the TD SM Tunes. Track looked great with zero missing lugs. I bought a new Storm 150 2-ply and put iGrips in the new one. I'll be running the TD Performance Tunes this year. Hope the track holds up as I really like the traction of this track.
Don't run this track mine is ready to blow off with only 3000 miles on it , approx. 30 lugs ripped off seems like the igrips are too much for it peeling lugs right to the fiberglass core

Don't run this track mine is ready to blow off with only 3000 miles on it , approx. 30 lugs ripped off seems like the igrips are too much for it peeling lugs right to the fiberglass core

Thanks for your letting me know your results with this track and setup for iGrips. I already have the track on and will be going on my first ride this weekend. Hopeful it will make it through this winter to evaluate. I’ll make sure I keep a close eye on the track after every ride. Hoping yours was just a fluke.

I concur with everything the original poster said and tested as i have done almost the exact same tracks. DONT EVEN question using the 2 ply Storm... it works great, the only way that you will rip a lug off this track is if you were to constantly run high speed on bare ice.... as you will with any lugged track over 1.25", yes you will scrubb 5mph on top end off.... but the fun is getting their alot quicker. mine is stage 6 and run mostly upper Quebec and northern ontario wher we cruise at 85mph and this track actually got better fuel economy as it wasnt gripping and not spinning most of the time.

Kinger....on my '17 SW I had a 1.5" lug Ripsaw 2 installed last year right from the get go and only managed to put on about 200 miles last season with that track. I had the track swapped out on my wife's '18 SW this year right from the get go with a Storm 150.

I've previously run a Camso 1.5" lug Crossover track on my old 144" Apex and a 1.3" lug Camso Cobra track on another 136" Apex that my wife drove so I've had years of experience riding in the same area with different tracks.

We've run our SideWinder's in the same areas of the UP that we covered over the years with our Apex's. I feel without a doubt that the Storm 150 performs better in every single condition that we ride in than either of our previous tracks on our former sleds.

Everyone is different regarding the conditions that they typically ride in and what is going to best suit their needs. That's why I clearly stated in my review the conditions that we ride in.

Both of our sleds are running the stock tunes. That's all we need to keep us happy. I've tweaked the clutching to better get the power down to the snow over the stock clutching and that makes a big difference in how the sleds perform in the conditions we ride in.
What did you do to your Clutching

What did you do to your Clutching
Thunder Products Clutching. Touch base with Tim or Terry to get an awesome set up for your sled. V-room-V-room!

How much did it cost?
Sorry, but I don't recall. Just give them a call. They're straight shooters and will get you set up perfectly with a clutch set up.

I concur with everything the original poster said and tested as i have done almost the exact same tracks. DONT EVEN question using the 2 ply Storm... it works great, the only way that you will rip a lug off this track is if you were to constantly run high speed on bare ice.... as you will with any lugged track over 1.25", yes you will scrubb 5mph on top end off.... but the fun is getting their alot quicker. mine is stage 6 and run mostly upper Quebec and northern ontario wher we cruise at 85mph and this track actually got better fuel economy as it wasnt gripping and not spinning most of the time.
Don't get me wrong, i love the traction of the 2 ply storm it pulls hard on the trails can still corner under throttle, i never ran bare ice once or bare road only trail riding and its toast less than 3000 miles

I did just under 400 miles on my new Storm 1.5. Absolutely loved it!!! Much better hook up than the rip saw II and clearly better in any loose snow conditions. GREAT track. Acceleration was better from a dead stop on a lake too. (Packed snow.) ....Much less track spin. Very happy camper so far. Will test it more in a few weeks. My buddy's Po 850 with exhaust and clutching would always take me from a dead stop or slow roll and now i take off and walk away.

Sorry, but I don't recall. Just give them a call. They're straight shooters and will get you set up perfectly with a clutch set up.
Yea there prices are way too high for me,why spend $280 on clutch weights if I can use the stock ones..just seems like a money pit to go all in aftermarket!!! I don't need self gratification thru branding..its hard to get a straight answer on here without people pushing aftermarket brands saying it only works with there product.. so can someone tell me what i can use that's stock(yamaha) with stock muffler max spool 16? Can I use stock helix,springs etc..

Here's how I would rate the performance of the tracks that I've run so far on our SideWinder's and former Apex's riding in the same trails and snow conditions that we ride in:

Durability:
1. Storm 150
2. Crossover 1.5"
3. Ripsaw 2 1.5"
4. Cobra 1.35"

Cornering performance (flat cornering and pushing):
1. Storm 150
2. Ripsaw 2 1.5"
3. Cobra 1.35"
4. Crossover 1.5"

Straight line performance in hard pack:
1. Storm 150
2. Ripsaw 2 1.5"
3. Cobra 1.35"
4. Crossover 1.5"

Straight line performance in powder/loose snow:
1. Storm 150
2. Cobra 1.35"
3. Crossover 1.5"
4. Ripsaw 2 1.5"

Deep snow performance:
1. Storm 150
2. Cobra 1.35"
3. Crossover 1.5"
4. Ripsaw 2 1.5"

Most versatile:
1. Storm 150
2. Ripsaw 2 1.5"
3. Crossover 1.5"
4. Cobra 1.35"
So after 5 years since this post, how do you rate this track now?
How many miles?
Hyfax wear?
I have 4k miles on the oem ripsaw II 1.25" and it hasn't any torn lugs, but it is looking well used. I'm thinking after next season I might be replacing it.
Thanks for the report(s).

6K on track and tore a lug. Ride in very good conditions northern Maine and Quebec on a N.A. SR-Viper. I seen in the row my lug tore, the top belt is almost showing. And showing cords on the inside of the track. Just seems poor quality to me, but could be wrong. Going to put E6000 in the torn area and hope it’s good for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_9906.jpeg
    IMG_9906.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9905.jpeg
    IMG_9905.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9904.jpeg
    IMG_9904.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 45
6K on track and tore a lug. Ride in very good conditions northern Maine and Quebec on a N.A. SR-Viper. I seen in the row my lug tore, the top belt is almost showing. And showing cords on the inside of the track. Just seems poor quality to me, but could be wrong. Going to put E6000 in the torn area and hope it’s good for a while.

Did you put screw in studs in that track or is it a ice series track? Thats the drawback to these longer lugged tracks with the studs in the tips of the lugs, it makes life harder on the lugs and rips them off eventually.

I'd say that track is done. Its going to continue throwing lugs. Better hope it doesn't take the whole thing out or a section of it or you'll be putting in a new tunnel and maybe exchangers if it ballons or tears it up under there. I'd be changing that track out rather quickly if it were mine.

It’s the Ice Storm 150. Groomed trail riding.
Cleaned with Mass Air Flow cleaner, treated the edges with Loctite 404 and two coats of E6000. Not sure if I’ll get to put miles on it to see what happens. Season might be over with this weather.

Attachments

• IMG_9909.jpeg
    IMG_9909.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 25

Back