• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Storm 150 season review

I'm thinking you could run 1.86 triggers with this track down the middle and be ok as long as you keep a tight track. Thoughts? Basically the same as running 1.575's with the ripsaw 2 1.25. I don't think 1.63's would be long enough.
run them on the outside too or your not going to be able to turn under power

I'm installing the Ice Attack.

I replaced my stock track with an Ice Attack XT after just a couple of rides when my sled was new.
Had to do something safety wise, stock track without studs was very dangerous, and with all of the past problems that I have had with my past sleds losing studs and taking out coolers, snow flaps etc, I decided to give it a try, plus 2 riding buddies had them on their Apexes for years without any problems.
Very happy with the performance this track offers on all snow conditions, really comes out of the hole nice with minimal spin. It will outrun the Ice Cobra badly. Ice Cobra just spins out of the hole and robs a lot of speed on top end. Would not have guessed that with the Ice Cobras soft rubber compound, but believe me that is what you will find.
I’m sure offtrail would be a different story, but I am a trail racer/rider.
But any of these 1 ply prestudded tracks will loose lugs, they are not Winder proof. I lost quite a few last year on 1 day, trying for some top end speed on an iced over lake. It had rained and got warm for a week causing the lake’s snow to mostly melt, leaving some old sled impressions in the Ice, so that the ice had just a bit of a ripple to it in spots.
Way too much spinning at WOT caused some lugs to tear off because of track spin. I knew it was spinning a bit but, once the GPS came out I found that I was loosing 10 mph compared to speedo. My usual on snow diff is 3-4.

But I have to say, I have put 3000 miles on this track since, and have lost just a few more.
Undecided about what track for next season whereas this one really performs well on all except for glare ice, with it’s 256 studs. Contemplating 1” track with studs for another 3-5 mph, or Am I happy with the 126 speedo that I get now on ideal snow conditions ? No damage at all to coolers, snow flaps, etc... Really flip flopping for sure. Do not want to lose any speed, and that is for sure.

run them on the outside too or your not going to be able to turn under power

You post about this a lot, personally for me and how my sled is setup I put 3 studs per bar, 2 in thr middle and 1 on thr outside alternating each side (Woody's Quiet Pad track template) gives me 135 studs on my 129. I get way too much push in the corners, if I keep this track I will be removing the outside studs. Unless you're talking big sweeping corners anything tight you can't take at speed anyways and outside studs will not make it turn better.

You post about this a lot, personally for me and how my sled is setup I put 3 studs per bar, 2 in thr middle and 1 on thr outside alternating each side (Woody's Quiet Pad track template) gives me 135 studs on my 129. I get way too much push in the corners, if I keep this track I will be removing the outside studs. Unless you're talking big sweeping corners anything tight you can't take at speed anyways and outside studs will not make it turn better.
Maybe all you guys are just cruisers or bird watchers,think of it like this when you turn a tight corner with the power on with only center studs the tracks pulling you straight ahead with 1 per row on the outside and your skis turned the ouside of the track is searching for traction pulling you into the corner if you run hard to the corner and let off then turn then nail it again you wont need them on the outside and i'll be waiting for you 5 miles ahead

They need around 250 studs to make them work right ,how many does the ice storm come with?

I am not with my sled right now to count. Don't think it's anywhere near 250 as it's just the Middle 1.5" Lugs that have the studs and not the outer 1.25" lugs.

Maybe all you guys are just cruisers or bird watchers,think of it like this when you turn a tight corner with the power on with only center studs the tracks pulling you straight ahead with 1 per row on the outside and your skis turned the ouside of the track is searching for traction pulling you into the corner if you run hard to the corner and let off then turn then nail it again you wont need them on the outside and i'll be waiting for you 5 miles ahead

OK shooter, easy with the comments. Maybe I ride my sled different but when I go as fast as possible towards the corner, I sure as heck am letting off and braking to make the corner or else I'm in the trees then I'm on the throttle again.

I am not with my sled right now to count. Don't think it's anywhere near 250 as it's just the Middle 1.5" Lugs that have the studs and not the outer 1.25" lugs.
That track doesnt compare to the storm 150 i'll take a pic and post

Attachments

• ST-20R-P__48097.1535130412.1280.1280.jpg
    ST-20R-P__48097.1535130412.1280.1280.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 155
I believe the sled is faster or quicker now that you’re actually hooking up and not spinning constantly and I haven’t seen any loss of top end over the 1 1/4 ripsaw 2

Are you talking long pulls on RR beds or shorter 1/4 to 1/2 mile pulls in groomed trails/ fields.

Tell you why I ask?

My buddy has a RTX-LE, new to him this year, it came with an Ice Cobra 1.62. He put same tune in his as mine (Max Spool 16 / 3 bar and BOV).except he kept sm,and my LTX-LE has the smm and the 1.22 Ice Attak XT.

His top end loss was about 4-5 mph compared to 1.25 ish track.
He shaved it down to 7/8” (Just under the pre inserted studs)and added 96 studs. He gained 8-10 mph over that 1.62 on snow not ice! He now sees some really good top end numbers!!!

That Storm is a very special track if that 1.5” does not slow it down on top end! Wow. What do you figure, lug design difference?

OK shooter, easy with the comments. Maybe I ride my sled different but when I go as fast as possible towards the corner, I sure as heck am letting off and braking to make the corner or else I'm in the trees then I'm on the throttle again.
Theres your problem we throttle around the corner no brake the brakes only for emergencies

I didn't get to ride at all this year. Put about 2 miles on my storm 150 around the house. Probably snowchecking a XTX LE and putting my LTX on the ice so I'll be pulling out the Storm. Will probably have a good deal on it come fall if anybody is looking for a 137 storm with a couple miles on it.
let me know for sure.

Back