• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gaylord MI, **updated 1-30-2010**

poleclimber said:
i don't think we have to worry about grooming anymore. We lost a lot of snow...im just getting back from work at 11pm and its 38 degrees. Supposed to get a little snow tonight but i think its too late now...we need a lot of snow!!!

Wrrrrroooowwwwrrrrr!!! :o| :o| :o|

We were supposed to ride there the next 5 days... :whine:

i cant really speak for gaylord but just west of gaylord in the elmira area was terrible last night. We rode about 90 miles from east jordan to elmira down to alba and back up to ellsworth. It's rideable but by no means is it good. Weather man is talking about the possibility of a few feet of snow in spots friday and saturday though.

The are ok but the the trials are rough due to lack of snow or les that blows off or the groomer pushes off. Seens lots of groomers ~ just need some wet snow.

Lol, yeah getting some stuff done on the Rage.
New Cam Chain tensioner & track.
Not too bad after 12,000 miles.

We did get alot of riding in over the week. ;)!
After a few broken parts... lol
Icy base but not all bad!

See what I mean about the trail from Elmira?
Has been that way most of the time over the last 3 years.
Need to do this to the groomer for that area. >>> :o| :o| :o| lol

Rockmeister said:
Lol, yeah getting some stuff done on the Rage.
New Cam Chain tensioner & track.
Not too bad after 12,000 miles.

We did get alot of riding in over the week. ;)!
After a few broken parts... lol
Icy base but not all bad!

See what I mean about the trail from Elmira?
Has been that way most of the time over the last 3 years.
Need to do this to the groomer for that area. >>> :o| :o| :o| lol
well we've gotten some more snow so maybe that'll help things out. You back down state now?

Hasn't really been a snow problem, is mainly a grooming problem.
(Although snow with a higher moisture content would certainly help hold it together!)

Yeah, back home now. : (
Will pick up the Rage Thursday a.m. from T&R.
Then off to Muni for the TY ride. ;)!

Did a write-up on the recent trip to Gaylord here:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=81967

Bah..

Never rode in Gaylord without returning back to friends cabin feeling beat to hell. An all day ride with stock SRX in Gaylord/Grayling area is not something Id recommend to anyone over 45. The grade is ALWAYS whooped out, unless your right behind the groomer. Maybe if they smoothed the trails in summer then grooming would last longer. The best time to ride that area is Friday night, which is about the only time they groom, trying to get ready for the weekend. That area needs grooming ALL DAY long. The amount of sleds running is crazy and the cash flow is not something they can replace. Make the drive to UP, they'll have those groomers running 24/7 after a month of that!!!
They make us pay 10.00 more this year for trail permits then provide excuses and poor grooming, wow. Keep going north, Munising, Christmas, you guys know what I mean. Ive even went across the bridge unloaded and rode. I saw the groomer twice before I could even get on the trails, omg they were sooo smooth.
I wouldnt even ride that area but somehow I get talked into it every year.

Permit

What I meant by across the bridge was that in Ignace they groom pretty heavy.
Ive always wanted to do the Canada ride though, but everyone I know owning sleds are cheaper than I am. Those permits aren't cheap.

Re: Bah..

downlow said:
Never rode in Gaylord without returning back to friends cabin feeling beat to hell. An all day ride with stock SRX in Gaylord/Grayling area is not something Id recommend to anyone over 45. The grade is ALWAYS whooped out, unless your right behind the groomer. Maybe if they smoothed the trails in summer then grooming would last longer. The best time to ride that area is Friday night, which is about the only time they groom, trying to get ready for the weekend. That area needs grooming ALL DAY long. The amount of sleds running is crazy and the cash flow is not something they can replace. Make the drive to UP, they'll have those groomers running 24/7 after a month of that!!!
They make us pay 10.00 more this year for trail permits then provide excuses and poor grooming, wow. Keep going north, Munising, Christmas, you guys know what I mean. Ive even went across the bridge unloaded and rode. I saw the groomer twice before I could even get on the trails, omg they were sooo smooth.
I wouldnt even ride that area but somehow I get talked into it every year.

Contemplated for awhile whether or not to respond to this particular post, well, couldn't help it.....

Not sure where to start...Friday is not the best day to ride in Gaylord, weekday riding is, particularly Tuesday (feel like I'm letting the cat out of the bag). More importantly you can ride here comfortably any day of the week (when we have adequate snow) if you know when and where to ride at what times. Agreed...trail 7 is usually in bad shape by the middle of the day anyday because of traffic, especially weekends, so stay off it, plan your trips accordingly by not having to travel on it too far at the end of the day. Yes there were grooming issues early this year but the trails have been in pretty decent shape for the amount of snow we have had since then. They are toast as of today, but guess what, the woods still have plenty of snow. To each his own, and if you must drive by and head to the UP (we do to for new scenery) just wave, I'll be on trail 7 in the mornings (but now until we get more snow now, down to dirt today).

Heyya Scott!

Am in Gaylord now!
Give me a call, may have to drag ya out.

7 isn't that bad, there are a few bare spots, but most of it has snow yet.

sweet, will call in a few minutes. how long ya here? can ride tues, wed, thurs mornings, gotta be home by noon each day when Noah gets home from preschool. am off this weekend too, finally!!

Back