• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing For Tuned Sidewinder

I tried a new belt. Same vibration and speed. I wrote off the vibration to the track, but was thinking this sled is geared down somehow giving only 100 mph top end. Anybody know if that is true?
thanks
Steve

Yes, higher gear will lessen the Tq at the front drive. However, higher gear will also promote belt slippage down low if you have good traction.

The point I’m trying to make ultimately is there is more to it than the gear ratio that’s in the gearcase, front drive size along with overdrive ratio changes the speed of which snowmachine will run out at.

Overdrive percentages will change with belt width and length, along with belt center changes. For instance, 20 thou width change on and equal length belt will change OD by 2%.

There’s a lot more to it then the gear ratio in the gearbox and it’s hard to compare from machine to machine if you don’t know all the specifics.

I myself prefer to lessen the belt slippage down low being a drag racer and like them geared down as I add traction. I spend very little time up at 120-130 mile an hour so gearing up is not at all important to me. For some of the crazy Canucks up north who spend a lot of time living life on piston alley above hundred to 120, then they should by all means gear up.

Stock sidewinders will run 125 miles an hour. Tuned one will obviously get there much quicker. Want to run 130? Just put 22 tooth in it. Want to go faster than that? Then you’ll either need bigger front drives or more gear, but you will sacrifice acceleration.
Ok do what about adding weight to your clutch instead of a tooth on the sprocket what will it do??

Yes, higher gear will lessen the Tq at the front drive. However, higher gear will also promote belt slippage down low if you have good traction.

The point I’m trying to make ultimately is there is more to it than the gear ratio that’s in the gearcase, front drive size along with overdrive ratio changes the speed of which snowmachine will run out at.

Overdrive percentages will change with belt width and length, along with belt center changes. For instance, 20 thou width change on and equal length belt will change OD by 2%.

There’s a lot more to it then the gear ratio in the gearbox and it’s hard to compare from machine to machine if you don’t know all the specifics.

I myself prefer to lessen the belt slippage down low being a drag racer and like them geared down as I add traction. I spend very little time up at 120-130 mile an hour so gearing up is not at all important to me. For some of the crazy Canucks up north who spend a lot of time living life on piston alley above hundred to 120, then they should by all means gear up.

Stock sidewinders will run 125 miles an hour. Tuned one will obviously get there much quicker. Want to run 130? Just put 22 tooth in it. Want to go faster than that? Then you’ll either need bigger front drives or more gear, but you will sacrifice acceleration.
So just your opinion I have 270 tune if I change to 22 tooth top gear I'm assuming it will hurt my bottom end and mid range? Not really any benefits?

I'd doubt you'll notice the difference. How much do you weigh ?

Back