• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing For Tuned Sidewinder

yamaha06

VIP Member
You guys that are running the high HP flashes 265+ what are you running for gearing? Seen some people are running 22 upper and others running 24 upper and 41 lower. On my sled I have a 1.6" ice cobra track which hurt top speed, so I wasn't even close to maxing out stock gearing. But with the high hp flashes I am sure I will and need to change the gearing. Sled is an LTX LE (9 tooth drives, 2.86 pitch)

We all run 22 top....fits with stock chain too.

Cat part number is: 1702-395

Dan

Clipboard01.jpg

u can also run a 1.71 ratio with 24 top 41 bottom with a 88 link custom made chain - scott tayler will hook u up, or u can remove a link from a 90 or 92 - this is a great choice for xtx guys,, the 8 tooth driver makes it the lowest geared of the trail bunch.

Does a good running stock winder necessitate a 22t top gear? Or only when the sled is amped up?

u can also run a 1.71 ratio with 24 top 41 bottom with a 88 link custom made chain - scott tayler will hook u up, or u can remove a link from a 90 or 92 - this is a great choice for xtx guys,, the 8 tooth driver makes it the lowest geared of the trail bunch.

Ya 24 might be to tall for me, mines an ltx 2.86 pitch 9 tooth drivers, and I have the 1.6" track. Kind of thinking maybe going with the 22 top and a 33/35 dalton helix, could be an awesome trail set up, don't want to run out of gear either though, will be running the 270 or 280 race tune from hurricane.

I'm thinking the stock 21 on a stock 137 would be best right Dan? Did Tom run out of gear with his stock 137 before he had it tuned?
These new clutches have a ton more OD in them then any previous YAM primary....more then what the calculator shows for sure.

I think highest I heard last season was 126.5 mph on GPS....that is alot of OD out of stock 21/41.

So, will you need more then that? Only you can answer that...lol Not many times you will have those perfect conditions, however if you have a tune, and are wick'd up around 270-280hp, and hit glare ice on radar days....you will get to the end of your gears rather fast.

For the 13 bucks, I grabbed the 22 tooth cat gear and will toss it in on my first chaincase oil change since I will be in there.

Scott taylor is a superior gear with the oil holes, for much more coin.....and I guess only way to get it is to call him. I may grab a good one in a season or two.

Dan

Ok for coil bind, so will his clutch still be ok with the new springs?
Yeah spring pocket.

Sure, it should be fine.

I was never a big believer in the pocket depth being wrong, as Dale spec'd everything up and Yams spring and pockets were all typical. But some felt it did help with coil bind. Im not certain.

We will be doing alot of testing this winter, and will see how Toms 17 will react side by side with 18s. We need to get Dales new sec spring too, so we can test it side by side to the TP.

Damn this season is gonna be a blast....so much stuff to test!

Back