• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing For Tuned Sidewinder

I doubt the .86od achievable whit stock clutches..
I am using this calculator to:)

Last edited:

9100 with 12% OD gets you there too. No big deal.

9400 with 12% gets you to 139.7

9100 with 12% OD gets you there too. No big deal.

9400 with 12% gets you to 139.7
Was thinking same, if a guy runs his clutching setup for an avg 15psi map, then a higher boost map when applied will rev above that. Revving into the 9k++ region does allow for more top speed if the power and conditions are there.

While the calculator is nice for sitting here behind the keyboard, I really appreciate hearing/seeing real world numbers on GPS/Radar and what gears got them there. If 22 got a guy 135gps that is a good benchmark to know. Not that its needed for 99% of riding. But nice to know for radar days.

Yamaha say .93 od. The best i have seen is .91! (STOCK clutch)
Maybe you know a secret to make STOCK clutches travel more :dunno:

Yamaha say .93 od. The best i have seen is .91! (STOCK clutch)
Maybe you know a secret to make STOCK clutches travel more :dunno:

Power that's the secret. With extra hp you can go deeper in overdrive as long as Belt doesn't slip

I’ve ran 128 gps with 21/41 gearing running it to 9250 rpm. I’ve also ran 136 mph with 21/37 @ 9000 rpm. Both with stock 1.25” track. I’ve also ran 133 mph in 1320’ but that was with 1” track. And I’ve fully bottomed out my secondary and have the marks on the tower to show :( not sure how maybe had a short belt? But regardless it was Fully shifted in secondary at least
5DC0CAF5-18C4-40D6-BDE0-602CEDA1A49C.jpeg

I’ve ran 128 gps with 21/41 gearing running it to 9250 rpm. I’ve also ran 136 mph with 21/37 @ 9000 rpm. Both with stock 1.25” track. I’ve also ran 133 mph in 1320’ but that was with 1” track. And I’ve fully bottomed out my secondary and have the marks on the tower to show :( not sure how maybe had a short belt? But regardless it was Fully shifted in secondary at leastView attachment 133590
That is rolling brother! 128gps with stock track and gears, nice! How much boost for that run?

It comes up at .90 OD for that.

Image-1.jpg

That is rolling brother! 128gps with stock track and gears, nice! How much boost for that run?

It comes up at .90 OD for that.

View attachment 133625
14.8 PSI that day. That was on hero snow..but not plowed ice. I’d guess about 2000’ run. I was just out testing on the lake at my place

14.8 PSI that day. That was on hero snow..but not plowed ice. I’d guess about 2000’ run. I was just out testing on the lake at my place
Wow that is awesome for that boost range. Is that PT?

I think yours always was a strong one though! haha

Im used to running 1" tracks for my big speed sleds so this is first time for me running stocker...hope she is not a slug on gps, would be very happy to see 128. I still think I will put the 22 gear in mine, but will want to get some tight trail time on stock gears for a good comparo. Really want the snap above all for our trails.

Dan

Any updates after some real world testing on this stuff? 22 gear was very popular. I wonder how that has been working out? Curious on results with 21/38 gearing.

Maybe this has been discussed in another thread?

I am new to Yamaha, and I just bought a 2017 Sidewinder XTX LE 137. The sled has a 1.75 inch deep lug track on it. I was wondering two things.
Is it geared down lower than the other sidewinders since I could only see a top speed of 100 mph?
I looked on the parts list, but it looks like all of them come with 21/41.
Also, I get a tone of vibration with this track. Is that normal for this sled?
Any help is appreciated.

Wrong track Need smaller lugs, the vibration is probably the lug height, works like a fan.

Back