• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting Worried-Please Help! Motor Will Not Start *Solved*

Glock30 said:
OK, I detached the clear vent hose from the frame, shot air in the hose with a computer cleaner air can and jammed my thumb over the open end. Cranked the machine for over a min. on and off....no go.
Am I doing this procedure correctly?

You may just want to blow in that tube with your mouth - it takes a good three or four puffs (without losing what you blew in each time) and good seal with end of your thumb when done. I'm not sure if those cans of compressed air would have enough uumph to do the job. Plus while blowing with your mouth it's easy to tell when you're getting enough pressure in the tank.

I usually keep my mouth on the tube while cranking it over and blow as much pressure as possible. Afterwards my sled needs a cigarette.

Just start your sled once a month and run it for 15 minutes and you will never have a problem starting and never have to clean the carbs. Have done this on every sled I have owned since my 1969 Ski-Doo Elan.

starting fluid is sketchy stuff, you have to be really carfeull with it. this year one of our 2008's would not start, so i blew in the vent line and still nothing, so i took a spray bottle from some sort of glass cleaner, rinsed it out with gas and then sqirted a bit of gas into each carb, started on second crank. used to do the same thing with our 2 strokes instead of pulling plugs to put fuel into the jugs.

I once watched my 1984 Renault Alliance fire-up and almost burn to the ground trying to start it with starting fluid. A huge fireball cooked everything under the hood along with the hood. I did manage to salvage my Camels lying on the roof.

I too use starting fluid every year with no problems! These motors are pretty tough and I've never seen anywhere where someone has blown a motor on a Yamaha 4 stroke using starting fluid! A few quick burst up the throats and she fires right up! I've seen alot of of older junk have problems with it but no so much sleds more so old car and truck motors!

Put your hand over the Carb intakes as you crank it over it will pull the fuel to the motor, switch from one to the next and it will fire

Put your hand over the Carb intakes as you crank it over it will pull the fuel to the motor, switch from one to the next and it will fire

Used the mouth trick on the tube and it started in about 15 secs.
Thanks all for your help, it is now a very Merry Christmas

Ran it for a while and runs perfectly!

Sled needs a cigarette as I nearly blew the gas cap off!

yamaha1973 said:
Starting fluid = diesel ONLY to potent for small engines use gas or carb cleaner

dude its fine for small engines if your smart about it. Dont dump half can in there or something.

Your brought up diesels, when I was in the army we used cover the exhaust with our hands and it would help them start. Might work on smaller motors.

Back