• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gonna give the XTX another go!!! What do you think?

That's about what I do. Maybe 60/40. I like getting off trail. This is the 1st Yamaha 4 stroke that I was ever comfortable doing it. I got tired of digging my Warrior out!

Anyway, if you like getting in the powder get some wider skis. You can do it pretty cheap. Otherwise the front end really likes to plow. I'm sure you can just swap carbides and cure things like darting. However, I don't think ther are going to do anything about steering effort without going with a smaller one.

Maine-Rider said:
Id say 70% trail riding 30% off trail.

Then go with the Snow trackers and the Yamaha Mountain skis. All you have to do is buy the skis (70.00 each plus the bolts and spacers) and everything from your existing skis transfers.

SledFreak said:
Maine-Rider said:
Id say 70% trail riding 30% off trail.

Then go with the Snow trackers and the Yamaha Mountain skis. All you have to do is buy the skis (70.00 each plus the bolts and spaces) and everything from your existing skis transfers.

X2 :Rockon:

Maine-Rider said:
upei93, do you really think im better off getting snow trackers instead of Slydog powder hounds? Do they really steer alot lighter then Slydogs? What kind of sled does you buddy have them on? I just want something that will steer easy and not get in/follow other tracks.

I won't tell you what to buy but I will tell you I am happy I didn't shell out $500 on a set of powder hounds (I was close)...I ended up spending $200 on Yamaha mountains and $300 on K&N's instead. My buddy has a blue XTX, maybe the colour makes a difference but I don't think so LOL.

upei93 said:
Maine-Rider said:
upei93, do you really think im better off getting snow trackers instead of Slydog powder hounds? Do they really steer alot lighter then Slydogs? What kind of sled does you buddy have them on? I just want something that will steer easy and not get in/follow other tracks.

I won't tell you what to buy but I will tell you I am happy I didn't shell out $500 on a set of powder hounds (I was close)...I ended up spending $200 on Yamaha mountains and $300 on K&N's instead. My buddy has a blue XTX, maybe the colour makes a difference but I don't think so LOL.

I have both Yammi Mt skis and Powderhounds. I think they are both excellent. Off trail they both float like crazy. I'd recommend either. But if you also trail ride, I prefer the Mt skis on the trail over Powderhounds for performance (holding the line, etc.).

But like all other Yammi skis, you need to use good carbides like snowtrackers and you need to shim the backs of the rubber stopper 3/8 or 1/4 of an inch to control darting.

Mike

Mt Viper Mike said:
upei93 said:
Maine-Rider said:

I have both Yammi Mt skis and Powderhounds. I think they are both excellent. Off trail they both float like crazy. I'd recommend either. But if you also trail ride, I prefer the Mt skis on the trail over Powderhounds for performance (holding the line, etc.).

But like all other Yammi skis, you need to use good carbides like snowtrackers and you need to shim the backs of the rubber stopper 3/8 or 1/4 of an inch to control darting.

Mike

You don't need to shim the rubbers with snowtrackers. But any other runner and you will need too shim the rubber.

SledFreak said:
Mt Viper Mike said:
upei93 said:
Maine-Rider said:

Mike

You don't need to shim the rubbers with snowtrackers. But any other runner and you will need too shim the rubber.

x2 ;)!

SledFreak said:

I ran studboy deuce bars for a season on my Nytro RTX and still run them on my Vector without shimming. The deuce bars corrected the darting on both sleds but created a slight pushing condition on my Nytro. I did try shims on my Nytro with the deuce bars and totally hated how it handled so I removed them. I now run Pilots but might be going back to the deuce bar setup if I can't get a better handle on them.

I've never been big on shimming to correct darting. lifting the front of the ski and putting all the pressure on the rear gives you less usable ski contact on the trail for handling. To me it's like trying to walk on your heals.

Back