• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hard Start

Team Apex

Just bought a 2007 Phazer for my son and it seems to take alot of cranking before it starts when cold. Once its been warmed up it starts fine. It starts every time in the garage but this hard start worries me when its going to be -20 outside. I just don't think the battery will handle it. Is this common with the Phazer or something I should be looking at?

They seem to whirl over for a bit before catching, mine does the same.

Have you charged/tested the battery? The only time mine is hard to start is the first start of the year after it was fogged and sat all summer. It took 3 atttempts to get it going this year. I changed the plugs last week and it starts easy now.

Are you saying right now/first start of the year or during the season when its cold?

Just first of the season. Even at -30 C after 1.5 hrs trailering I never had problems starting it. I'm on the original battery with 4,300 kms. I do have the cold start update on the sled.

Cubby said:
Just first of the season. Even at -30 C after 1.5 hrs trailering I never had problems starting it. I'm on the original battery with 4,300 kms.

I was asking the OP when is he/she experiencing starting problems. But my phazer is the same no matter how cold it turns over great and fired right up. That is if the relays are not frozen.

I seem to remember the 07's needing a cold start update. Bring your VIN to the dealer and see if they update was done/avalible.

If it is a new problem after storage I would test the battery under load.

If it check out, new gas/plugs.

After that you should be good to go unless there is a different problem.

For the first start of the year I usually turn the key on and off 3 or 4 times, without cranking it, getting a bit more fuel in the system. I think with mine the fuel either evaporates from sitting or bleeds back into the tank. Priming the pump in this way a few times helps for me.

Rick

Attachments

• DSC00862.JPG
    DSC00862.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00865.JPG
    DSC00865.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 139
my 07 fx was the same way....took about 10-15 seconds of cranking before it would start. Just installed the ecu from the cold start update kit...turns over 4 or 5 times and fires up right away (when cold).

cold start update kit
p/n 90891-50146-00

is anyone getting these update for free? or has that ship sailed?

i just picked up a 07 with 1078miles on it and it takes a long time for it to start firing.

and its not even cold yet, so im wondering how it will be when its frozen out there...

According to service bulletin S2007-11 the free offer expired Dec 31, 2009. But you may still be able to purchase the update.

Its too big to attach but if you PM me your email address I can send it to you.

Cubby said:
According to service bulletin S2007-11 the free offer expired Dec 31, 2009. But you may still be able to purchase the update.

Its too big to attach but if you PM me your email address I can send it to you.

For $250 for the cold start thing it would be worth it just to let it crank for a while.

My 07 started like crap when I got it. after spark plugs and a Napa Glass matt battery she starts much better, stronger crank and less cranking time. Run premium gas if you can.

Back