• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Head Venting: PCV or no PCV valve?

Jack_Shaft

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
I am about to install an ECP kit onto my 03 c/w evac kit.

I run in very cold temps (i.e. -30C) on a rtegular basis in Jan/Feb and I am very weary of freeze-up problems and blowing the cam plugs out of the head when I'm really out there and away from civilization.

To ensure that this potential buildup of pressure can be relieved, I am planning to vent the head through the little filler cap on the PTO side of the engine. Is a one-way valve (i.e. PCV) necessary here? I am afraid that could freeze in the cold temps as well... so could I just drill out the fill plug, install a barb, length of hose & air filter on the end without the PCV valve?

Just curious as to why the use of the PCV valve would be necessary here.

-JS

I guess the more direct question would be:

Will I be negatively affected by not running the PCV valve? What is the significance of having a one-way valve in the head vent?

-JS

Thanks for the response Freddie.

What about this part of the question:

"What is the significance of having a one-way valve in the head vent?"

Jack_Shaft said:
Thanks for the response Freddie.

What about this part of the question:

"What is the significance of having a one-way valve in the head vent?"

It will prevent a build up of pressure inside your engine. The first thing that will happen is the rubber cam end plugs that are part of the valve cover gasket will blow out and make a god awful oily mess of your engine compartment.

Freddie

Yep, got that part, my question was more what the difference was between running with a head vent + PCV vs just a head vent without a PCV.

hey Jack-Shaft,
happy new year! here is my set up, i vented the head just in case. there is a inline pcv valve on top of the factory fill plug you can't see it because the rubber hose slipped over both ends all the way. hope this helps.
rfc
skip

Attachments

• snow ready.JPG
    snow ready.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 158
  • valve cover vent pcv valve.JPG
    valve cover vent pcv valve.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 190
Jack_Shaft said:
Yep, got that part, my question was more what the difference was between running with a head vent + PCV vs just a head vent without a PCV.

Personally, I think running a PCV valve to vent the head is a waste of time, but it will not hurt anything. Running the PCV valve with the crankcase vent will provide an automatically draining system for the condensation that build up though.

Freddie

Love your avatar/bike gsxr-rider137! Very nice! Picture clearly taken at Lebanon Valley Dragway. What is done to the engine? If you prefer to e-mail directly, please do so. On behalf of one of my customers, we set and then reset our own record at Maxton on a turbo charged GSXR1000 that makes MASSIVE power on my Dynojet! The first time last summer, he went 208.6 MPH and then we tuned it up for more boost and better handling and he also changed it over to the 2005 style bodywork and then went 218.9 MPH.

Freddie

i work part time for Lew at Lew's Cycle in Manchester Ct. he has a Land & Sea dyno with all the trimming. Lew builds the baddest engines around. the bike has a small stroker kit with a dry shot set-up i hope to use more next year. turbos (in my opinion) are a waste of time and huge money pit . most turbo bikes can't use the power they make, unless your into top-end high mile an hour fun. the bike is driven daily (with or without my girlfriend on the back) and pulls like a f-16 off a carrier. his personal gsxr1000 motor, which he sold mid way thru the season..goes 8.60's...on motor. but i don't plan on getting that extreme. i want to drive it and race it whenever i want. 8.90's is good enough for me on motor, with the dry shot in place for that special occasion. bike is just under 60" with bolt on extensions and a shinko tire. i hope to have all the plastic on it this year to make it look a little cleaner. glad you liked the pic

gsxr-rider137 said:
i work part time for Lew at Lew's Cycle in Manchester Ct. he has a Land & Sea dyno with all the trimming. Lew builds the baddest engines around. the bike has a small stroker kit with a dry shot set-up i hope to use more next year. turbos (in my opinion) are a waste of time and huge money pit . most turbo bikes can't use the power they make, unless your into top-end high mile an hour fun. the bike is driven daily (with or without my girlfriend on the back) and pulls like a f-16 off a carrier. his personal gsxr1000 motor, which he sold mid way thru the season..goes 8.60's...on motor. but i don't plan on getting that extreme. i want to drive it and race it whenever i want. 8.90's is good enough for me on motor, with the dry shot in place for that special occasion. bike is just under 60" with bolt on extensions and a shinko tire. i hope to have all the plastic on it this year to make it look a little cleaner. glad you liked the pic

Funny, I have never heard of Lew's Cycle. Perhaps if I see him in person I will remember him. I am trying to finish my new Pro Street Hayabusa. So far it is coming along very nicely. Instead of the turbo route I am going with a 1507cc engine and a ton of nitrous. I agree about the turbo bikes not using the power they are capable of making. I would be willing to bet I will make the same HP per pound of bike and rider as the turbo Hayabusa's are making. We successfully completed our first CNC ported cylinder head for my Hayabusa on one of our 5 Axis Bostomatic CNC vertical millers. I am expecting to make around 250 HP prior to nitrous. I probed one of my hand ported heads and turned that into a program. The hand ported cylinder head is the most powerful hand ported head I have ever dynoed on a customers 1397cc Hayabusa as well as another shop in Connecticut.

The avatar of your bike sure looks a lot longer than 60 inches! Real nice though!

Freddie

Lew is low key..doesn't advertise at all..but build a lot of motors over the winter..lot of mini sprint cars motors as well as ones for drag bikes. Zeke, Shane murphy and bullet bobs crew all know him. he sold his gsxr1000 and bought shawn fuller's 99 gold busa at the end of the season. he is going the same route....big motor.

my bike has bolt one exotic cycle extensions. i have been told it looks longer than that by many..and i bet 4-5 times bob and his boys have measured it to make sure it is what is said it was. thinking about making a longer one for this year, just to make it a little easier to launch and go faster. bike went 1:48-1.49 60ft times, and i am by no means a pro rider, just out to have fun and go fast.

Funny, I have never heard of Lew's Cycle. Perhaps if I see him in person I will remember him. I am trying to finish my new Pro Street Hayabusa. So far it is coming along very nicely. Instead of the turbo route I am going with a 1507cc engine and a ton of nitrous. I agree about the turbo bikes not using the power they are capable of making. I would be willing to bet I will make the same HP per pound of bike and rider as the turbo Hayabusa's are making. We successfully completed our first CNC ported cylinder head for my Hayabusa on one of our 5 Axis Bostomatic CNC vertical millers. I am expecting to make around 250 HP prior to nitrous. I probed one of my hand ported heads and turned that into a program. The hand ported cylinder head is the most powerful hand ported head I have ever dynoed on a customers 1397cc Hayabusa as well as another shop in Connecticut.

The avatar of your bike sure looks a lot longer than 60 inches! Real nice though!

Freddie

I am doing some real kick-#*$&@ extensions for the GSXR's, Hayabusa's and pretty much all sportbikes that are truly adjustable. I also build lot of chromoly arms with features like air tanks for the air shifter, battery boxes, pivoting and non-pivoting as well. E-mail me at KliesECP@sbcglobal.net if you want me to e-mail some pics to you. Be sure to put something in the subject line that we prevent me from deleting as it will probably go into my "bulk" mailbox. Either that or if you are ever in the area feel free to stop in and I will show you what we are doing.

Once again, real nice bike!

Freddie Klies
www.easterncycleperf.com

Back