• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heat Exchangers Can you weld?

bluecanuck

Extreme
So here I go and put an m10 in as per the instructions I found at this link:

http://www.totallyamaha.com/ExpertX_M10 ... ll%20R.htm

I did not like how the rear bracket put the two shaft bolts against the heat exchangers but it looks just like the picture. I had a couple of rides on it with no problems but this weekend I noticed both are leaking and the bolts have pushed into the inside edge of each exchanger. I am thinking standing through the bumps stressed the sides enough to do the deed.

So my question is can I get them welded as they are only hairline cracks at this point? Anyone ever taken them off it looks like a pop rivet nightmare and tips or tricks are welcome? After that I will need to come up with a better way to do the bracket.

I know there is at least one other member out there looking to do this mod soon so please learn from my issue and not make the same mistake.

The heat exchangers are easily removed by drilling out or grinding the heads of the rivets. Yes, there are a lot of rivets but they drill out fast. definitely have the cracks welded, welding the heat exchangers is easy for a good welder who is experienced with welding aluminum. Welding is the only reliable way to fix them.

That looks cool but I am having a hard time finding these in Canada. I took it apart tonight and each is a hair line crack in between the cooling fins from the bending in and out from the bolt pressing agianst it. I am considering grinding it flat simular to the material that was removed for the original bolts and then using a J.B. weld cold weld epoxy. Anyone ever used this stuff? If it is as strong as they claim it would be much easier than removing the exchangers and risk burning holes in the side with a tig welder.

I have used JB weld for many repairs. It really is good stuff. As long as you can get the cracked area clean and dry it will hold up. Roughen the surface up with scotcbrite or sandpaper so the JB weld material can get a mechanical lock on the aluminum. I have some 6" x 6" smooth shiny stainless steel shettmetal plates that I mix the JB weld material on. It is amazing how hard it is to remove the cured material from the very smooth stainless steel. JB weld will work, i would weld the cracks if it were me but the JB weld will work.

Back