• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heated Carbs.

I ran the shut off valve on the line between the head and the carb rack. On my first ride with the valve shut, the sled started to run like crap after only a mile (temps were -15C or 5F) less than a mile later it stopped. What a f.... ??? It had never done that before....OK opened the valve fully and cranked it, by feathering the throttle I was able to keep it alive long enough for the icy carbs to tow, I took off and after a minute sled ran great again. I tried to keep the valve parly shut but it iced up again, took a little longer before carbs froze over again. Back home I removed the shut off valve, no problems ever since.

I know many others have had success with installing the valve. On my sled it did not work at all. I don't mind holding the throttle open a little when cranking over the engine :)

I would recommend a valve in stead of a bypass, with the valve you can always open up the coolant to the carbs if they freeze over.

Shut Off Valve

I put in a basic shut off valve, with a mesh hood, some days when it's really deep or -30 below, I will crack the valve open about 1/4 and run it that way. 90% of the time, it's fully off and have had no issues.

I have to keep the carb heater off 100% on my Viper or it will not start after you've been riding.

No problems in the summer, carbs should not freeze up unless you are running at below 40F or +5C.

I have mine bypassed year round & have never had any problem in the winter.. The turbo seems to keep everything plenty warm under the hood...

Back