• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heated Gloves for riding in extreme cold?

I agree completely with snowaddict. Gauntlets very good in keeping hands toasty in cold temps. I have tried battery operated gloves and they just don’t have lasting charge for all day riding.

Here’s what I’ve found to work the best for me in temps down in the -30*c.
These cat hand warmers get hot unlike the Japan Yamaha sleds, I found to use a thinner glove keeps your hands warmer than a thick glove as the heat from the bars go through the thinner glove better. I use fxr transfer gloves which are very thin compared to normal snowmobile gloves and as soon as I start riding I feel the heat, actually have to turn them down as they start burning..

Now when the temp drops to the extreme I have a pair of motorcycle 12 volt heated glove liners like the link karl posted also with the controller on his link mounted to the handle bar riser, I have a y harness that goes to each liner in your jacket sleeve and out from the waist just like I have my heated goggle wire and never gets in the way, I tried batteries but I find this way better for me as it runs off the sled battery and the controller is right there for adjustments, and let me tell you when hooked up to the sled battery you need the controller as they get hot fast.
Only difference to Karl link is mine are 12v not 7.4, I’ll try and find the link to where I got mine.
Only down side to this is you might have to go up in size on your gloves to make room for the liners.
I don’t use hand guards or the gauntlets and never had cold hands or fingers even in the most northern parts of our trails system.

I second the FXR Recon's. Bought a pair last year. They are really good performing gloves on their own. 90% of the time I don't even turn them on. If I need I run them for a bit until warm again then either off or on low. I got a slightly larger set of bats this year off Amazon (4200mah) and I can get a full day on those no problem.

What gauntlets you recommend for your handlebars ?

X3 on the FXR Recon as the gloves themselves are much warmer than the Klims I also wear. Not sure of model but they're the Klims that are two gloves in one; slide hand in one pocket for grip and the other for warmth. I find the low setting to be plenty warm but will admit when its cold out, the battery life can be affected. When I bought mine two years ago at the Novi Show, I got a free spare set of batteries. The good news for us electric glove owners is that Rockmiester is working on an adapter kit to use power from heated shield port where the adapter will also recharge the battery.

FXR_Recon.JPG

i got the kimpex 370291 gauntlet with window.fits my 07 rs nytro good.they even go over the factory handguards.

I’ll back the gauntlet guys. Got frostbite in three fingers on left hand 5 years ago. Thought I was going to lose 2. Fingers still ache when it’s 40. gauntlets are the real deal. I have the same kimpex model as above on the Sidewinder and Apex

Gotta go with the gauntlets and light gloves when below zero. I like the ski-doo ones with the clear tops. They are very easy to get your hands in and out of. I took rocker Dan’s advice, a little acetone with some elbow grease and the Ski-doo logo on the front is gone!

X3 on the FXR Recon as the gloves themselves are much warmer than the Klims I also wear. Not sure of model but they're the Klims that are two gloves in one; slide hand in one pocket for grip and the other for warmth. I find the low setting to be plenty warm but will admit when its cold out, the battery life can be affected. When I bought mine two years ago at the Novi Show, I got a free spare set of batteries. The good news for us electric glove owners is that Rockmiester is working on an adapter kit to use power from heated shield port where the adapter will also recharge the battery.

View attachment 160128
I also have a pair of fxr transfer heated gloves that I got for Christmas, basically the same as the recon but a bit less insulation. I haven’t used them yet snowmobiling but I have used them ice fishing and they are warm.
I’m not a fan of batteries especially in extreme cold weather so what I’m thinking of doing is buy a 7.4 volt controller like Karl posted earlier and hook up to the sled battery and be done.

Jon, I know this isn't what you asked for, but I'm now using Klim gauntlets and I will never look back. Only glove I wear now is a liner type. In the sub zero temperatures a couple of weeks ago, there were times I still had to shut my handwarmers off. Believe me, I've tried a ton of different types and brands of gloves (and wasted a lot of $) because of cold hand issues. Don't know why I didn't listen to people years ago. Might not look as cool as regular handguards, but I'd rather be comfortable than cool. The Klim ones aren't bad looking either. Will end up costing you less than an expensive pair of gloves as well.
This was my exact experience. I have a mountain of gloves. Used the Klim gauntlets on my first big Canada trip and haven't looked back. I use only the thinnest of gloves with the low cut gauntlets and cylce the warmers on and off. I cant even use my brake lever heater with them on.

I’ll chime in support of gauntlets and thin gloves.....GET GAUNTLETS that STAY OPEN. The ones that close are a hassle and I understand why people ‘HATE’ them as you cant get back at the throttle or brake instantly, but the good ones - stiff and open are wonderful because your warm, can feel the controls and sled better and no issues getting to switches as well as throttle and brake.

Never tried heated gloves so they may be grate as well.

Does anyone use gauntlets that can go over the hand guards? I run the skins and do not want to remove them for gauntlets.. That's why Im going heated gloves unless gauntlets can go over these.
480_SPG_Trail_Handguards_-2012_Version.jpg

Another vote for gauntlets. I picked up 2 sets of Klim brand for the TY Giveaway ride a few years ago when temps were predicted to be sub zero. It was a trip saver for both my wife and I. I used them again a few weeks ago during the cold snap. It's wonderful wearing light gloves (think mechanic gloves) and the warmers on low when it's sub zero.

Good to hear that the FXR Recon gloves work, I was thinking of getting a pair next winter. I did use the Arctic Cat gauntlets on my last trip due to the extreme cold and as others mentioned they do work just difficult getting at the controls

Back