• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heated Gloves for riding in extreme cold?

Well as luck would have it as soon as I recommend a set of gloves I have a problem with them. Lol. I have the FXR Recon's. I bought them last season. All was good until this weekend. Went on the longest, coldest run of the season and my left hand keep getting cold. Figured out at the end of the trip that the left glove stopped working. Power and heating level lights were fine, just no heat.

I'll be returning them to Royal Distributing and I guess I'll find out what the 3 year "progressive" warranty is about and I'll report back.

I had the 3 fingered gloves and they are warm, I just prefer the feel and dexterity of the thin mechanics like gloves inside gauntlets that I can get easily in and out of.

I was convinced I would never use gauntlets because of prior bad experiences with the cheap/ floppy gauntlets and trying to find the opening to get my hands back to the bars/controls while riding.

Then on a cold UP riding week I was with a group all using gauntlets and thin gloves, they were much warmer and I noticed the stiff opening type gauntlet. Tried and I was sold. Rarely use the 3 fingered gloves.

I ride with gauntlets nearly all the time, I would recommend using a ride light so you don't always have to be taking your hands out of the gauntlet to signal oncoming riders the number in your group behind you. Something nice about not having to take my hand out of the gauntlet and trying to get it back in and knowing I have alerted on coming riders. Joe

Well as luck would have it as soon as I recommend a set of gloves I have a problem with them. Lol. I have the FXR Recon's. I bought them last season. All was good until this weekend. Went on the longest, coldest run of the season and my left hand keep getting cold. Figured out at the end of the trip that the left glove stopped working. Power and heating level lights were fine, just no heat.

I'll be returning them to Royal Distributing and I guess I'll find out what the 3 year "progressive" warranty is about and I'll report back.

Well just as an FYI to potential buyers - FXR came through very well. They made arrangements with Royal to provide me a full refund for the Recon's. The gloves failure is likely a one off but I don't think I'm going to buy them again. I think I'm going to buy the Klim Fusions non-heated because they aren't as bulky and have the ability to reduce the pading on the palm side of the hand for better grip. I'm also going to add the Klim Gauntlets for the relatively cold days. Never had gauntlets but it seems they are the ultimate answer to cold hands.

Well just as an FYI to potential buyers - FXR came through very well. They made arrangements with Royal to provide me a full refund for the Recon's. The gloves failure is likely a one off but I don't think I'm going to buy them again. I think I'm going to buy the Klim Fusions non-heated because they aren't as bulky and have the ability to reduce the pading on the palm side of the hand for better grip. I'm also going to add the Klim Gauntlets for the relatively cold days. Never had gauntlets but it seems they are the ultimate answer to cold hands.
gauntlets are great for holding in heat and keeping wind out...just consider getting a ride light so you dont have to take your hands out of the gauntlet everytime a group of sleds pass by, trying to warn oncoming riders and going in and out of gauntlets is a pain...show the green or orange light, stay warm and warn other riders. Ride lights are inexpensive...BOP and others have them. Joe

I have the Klim Fusion. Worst glove I have ever tried. Basically would freeze my finger tips when using the "warm" or thinner palm side of the glove. The design would cut the blood flow in my finger tips.

I have the Klim Fusion. Worst glove I have ever tried. Basically would freeze my finger tips when using the "warm" or thinner palm side of the glove. The design would cut the blood flow in my finger tips.
Well that's why I love this forum - first hand reviews/experience. I'll cross those off the list and reformulate my plan. Cheers.

Look north ... buy fur. Proper sized fur mitts are roomy. Trappers and dog mushers are always taking them on and off with ease. Usually worn with a thin liner glove. Currently the Yukon is paying the freight on local products shipped Outside as part of their Covid economic relief. Consider the ethics of a huge multi national selling over priced stuff that doesn't work or last versus trappers and artisans carrying traditional practices being carried out in accordance with modern humane guidelines. A pair will last a lifetime.

I know, sounds like a rant but four pages to figure out warm hands is unnecessary. I can hear the cries now .... Help .. HELP ... I'm stuck on an ESCALATOR! What I'm saying is that we're getting stupid, this problem was solved a long time ago ... a long time ago.

Last edited:
X3 on the FXR Recon as the gloves themselves are much warmer than the Klims I also wear. Not sure of model but they're the Klims that are two gloves in one; slide hand in one pocket for grip and the other for warmth.

I just checked the model of Klim gloves I have and they were in fact the Fusion. Prior to purchasing the FXR Recon, they were the gloves I wore and did not experience the issue steiner had with blood flow getting cut off. I actually thought the 'warmth' pocket provided adequate protection and only used the 'grip' pocket (i.e thinner palm side of the glove where the added material for the warmth pocket is on top of the hand) for warm days. This was until I started using the Recon and that is where I found they felt warmer even without the heat turned on. Of course, that was most likely due to more added material being used in the Recon which could very well lead to the bulkiness that ateick is eluding to. Now, I just use the Fusions for warmer days where the additional heat of the Recon gloves is not needed or is really warm out where the grip pocket of the Fusion gloves will suffice.

Four pages for warm hands may sound extreme for some but when you have a medical condition like past frost bite or in my case, being put on blood thinners, sometimes what used to work doesn't work any longer so its nice to be able to read what others have done in similar situations. ;)!

I know, sounds like a rant but four pages to figure out warm hands is unnecessary.
Actually I would wade through 100 pages if it meant that I could keep my hands dry warm and comfortable. The three areas that will take all the fun out of the sport the fastest if they can't keep up with the climate you're riding in is head, hands and feet. I've solved the head and the feet now I just have to solve the hands. I can appreciate the idea of buying Canadian to support our economy but that solution just doesn't work for me. Sounds like you're happy with yours.

been using 3 fingered mitts by outlast and fxr lately.

just about ready both sets are all leather. i have a set of klim gloves witch i hate as my hands are always cold in them unless using gauntlets. the gloves/mitts that i loved from mountain equipment co op where for snow shoeing/skiing. used them all until they fell apart. they do not carry them any longer, so i have a drawer full of gloves/mitts that i have tried and do not like. hard to get them with thick insulation on the back and thinner on the fingers and palms.

just about ready to get a set of locally made mitts like my brother did that he loves. his are cayote fur on the outside almost all the way to his elbows with leather palms and fleece liners. every one he pass comments as it looks like he has sasquatch paws.

Honestly if you are looking for something to wear in the morning while it's cold I would recommend the gloves in the picture. I bought these for my wife and she loved them full time. For someone who rides more aggressive I would only recommend them once in a while. The price is good too if you want to see how heated gloves work for you in general!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210318-220422_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210318-220422_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 124

Back