• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HELP ~ 2007 Apex SE Boondocker Turbo

SideMountAK

Extreme
Short story is I had a valve cover gasket go bad on me after 400 boosted miles (under 14 psi). I replaced it with no problems and when I fired it up it still wouldnt idle. Pulled the manual out and went into the codes, fired all injectors, but noticed that the throttle position sensor was about 21 numbers low. I ordered a new one (on back order :o| ) BUT the question is 1) when these go out does it adversly affect the idle (like wont idle) 2) Is it a total miracle that when my valve cover gasket failed that the TPS went at the same time.
Thanks for any and all help.
:Rockon:

Do a compression check. The valve cover gaskets generally fail because of elevated crankcase pressure.

TPS does play in the idle

The TPS settings have a huge effect on the idle. It will run very rich if it is set to high when the throttle is closed. Did you move it on the throttle bodies when you pulled the sled apart to fix the gasket? If the range is ok, you may still have an ok tps. Safety torx (sp?) to adjust the tps. Method is in the shop manual. Let me know if you need it.

Wes

Attachments

• IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 63
It was running that bad when I shut it down. I assumed that the fuel controler was bad (pure logic) so I ordered another one and it ran just as bad. Looked alittle deeper and found the valve cover gasket was toast, replaced it (with new) and still runs just as bad. Went into the computer (it never ever did throw a code) and found that the TPS was reading -21 numbers off on WOT. So if I would have adjusted it then I would be +21 numbers high on closed throttle....
My last ride I came off the mountain using massive fuel (thinking it was the controler) and I guess the gasket was just a bonus headache :-o

SideMountAK said:
It was running that bad when I shut it down. I assumed that the fuel controler was bad (pure logic) so I ordered another one and it ran just as bad. Looked alittle deeper and found the valve cover gasket was toast, replaced it (with new) and still runs just as bad. Went into the computer (it never ever did throw a code) and found that the TPS was reading -21 numbers off on WOT. So if I would have adjusted it then I would be +21 numbers high on closed throttle....
My last ride I came off the mountain using massive fuel (thinking it was the controler) and I guess the gasket was just a bonus headache :-o

At this point you have to do a compression and leak down test to rule out an engine problem.

2 fuel boxes can't do the same thing unless there is something wrong in the sled.

Boondocker set-ups tend to have engine failure in part because of the log style manifold they use. Heat backs up terribly and then well we all know what happens

pull the plug off the tps, is any of the terminals corroded? Have you greased that before? We had a apex with a mcx kit that had a tps go out last spring and it idled rich and spit and spuddered. I have a brand new on in the box if want it. I stocked up this fall. If you want it shoot me a pm and I will get your address and get it up to ya. You should do a voltage check before you go any further though.

Jim

SideMountAK said:
Short story is I had a valve cover gasket go bad on me after 400 boosted miles (under 14 psi). I replaced it with no problems and when I fired it up it still wouldnt idle. Pulled the manual out and went into the codes, fired all injectors, but noticed that the throttle position sensor was about 21 numbers low. I ordered a new one (on back order :o| ) BUT the question is 1) when these go out does it adversly affect the idle (like wont idle) 2) Is it a total miracle that when my valve cover gasket failed that the TPS went at the same time.Thanks for any and all help.
:Rockon:

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Both 1 & 2 are still my main questions though.

Answers and an off topic note.

1. Yes if the values(voltages) are out at an idle it will screw the idle right up. Try it with a new tps and you will see the change it makes. TOO high of numbers and it will flood right out!

2. Seperate random events. Tps is very common to go with corrosion. Use di-electric on the tps. Valve cover needs to be peened in the half moons and loctite(can't remember the product #) or yamabond'd to seal it down. It must be completely cleaned of old oil or it will never ever seal.... Like when you're out in the snow its a PITA. Also make sure your crankcase vent does not freeze off or get plugged.

Off Topic Note-
SOME of the bd header issues can be helped with a 3" side exit pipe. This gets a sh!t load of heat out of that header over the standard 1 1/2" tunnel dump. I used to melt brakes and boil the brake fluid often before I changed this. It's kinda loud and will plug if you fall over on that side, but performance is not hindered turning/sidehilling in that direction. Also I had to add clutch weight to bring rpms back down :Rockon:

Back