• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help Overheat issues!!

yamaha06

VIP Member
Hey guys I'm on day one of my trip and am having major overheat issues with my sled. I had it go into limp mode 3 times, there was no way to get off the trail into fresh snow to cool it down so I just shut it off. The trails have a lot of snow they have set up a bit, the sled seems to be throwing a lot of snow but it will run hot. The temp outside is -8 degrees, when I get into fresh snow it drops to 77 degrees, otherwise it runs from 77 up to 92. Don't get why it's doing this now, all the other times in these conditions I never had any issues. The skidoos i am running with are having no overheat issues even seen a Polaris with a 2" paddle track and he's not having any issues. Kind of worried for the upcoming days as outside temps will be warmer.

I've ran very low snow condiotions and not had any overheat issues while driving. So you defiantly got something going on
Check a couple things

1. Is there a tun of ice between the track and the cooler in the front. I've seen sleds ice up bad enough to block the snow from hitting the cooler.
2. Antifreeze level? Maybe try idling it for a while with the cap off the tank ( it's probably not airlocked though)
3. When it's running make sure the cooler gets warm , basically make sure the water is flowing and you don't have a pump issue.

Is ice forming on the coolers? If so try some type of spray like they put on shovels. If no ice run scratchers.

The only time I got really hot was very low snow conditions and riding too slow just made things worse. Imho.

92c=197F that is getting up there but really not hot enough to hurt anything. They must be cautious on the Limp mode. Would tend to think nothing is wrong other than the conditions. Probably wouldn't hurt to put your springs in 1 position if not already to get flap closer to snow to hold some in there. Are you leading? Also helps to follow someone since they loosen up snow a bit.

92c=197F that is getting up there but really not hot enough to hurt anything. They must be cautious on the Limp mode. Would tend to think nothing is wrong other than the conditions. Probably wouldn't hurt to put your springs in 1 position if not already to get flap closer to snow to hold some in there. Are you leading? Also helps to follow someone since they loosen up snow a bit.

It would go into limp mode at 98 degrees. When it's at 92 I would really have to hammer on it and spin around corners in order to get temp to drop down into the 80's. I am leading, might have to switch it up tomorrow. I do notice a lot of snow getting thrown around, maybe the snow flap is to high off the ground.

I've ran very low snow condiotions and not had any overheat issues while driving. So you defiantly got something going on
Check a couple things

1. Is there a tun of ice between the track and the cooler in the front. I've seen sleds ice up bad enough to block the snow from hitting the cooler.
2. Antifreeze level? Maybe try idling it for a while with the cap off the tank ( it's probably not airlocked though)
3. When it's running make sure the cooler gets warm , basically make sure the water is flowing and you don't have a pump issue.

Ya ran warmer temps and pretty low snow trails, never had issues like this, sled has 1100km on it now I figured air would of worked its way out of the system. The coolant tank has coolant in it. When I turn the sled off when it's limp mode about 5 minutes after sitting there it does a lot of gurgling. The heat exchanger at the back is also very hot, can't even keep my hand on it for very long. Will head out to make sure I don't have any ice build up in the front. The back has no build up around it.

It's the front that gives you issue sometimes. The gurgel is normal when it's hot. It's the design of this new engine
Do you have anything done to your snow flap?

Let me know what you find.

It's the front that gives you issue sometimes. The gurgel is normal when it's hot. It's the design of this new engine
Do you have anything done to your snow flap?

Let me know what you find.

Checked out the front heat exchanger and it's clear, no ice build up. Snow flap is all stock, I do have a 1.6" ice cobra track on, it throws a lot of chucks, see a lot of snow and chunks shooting out the back when im riding, but when im on the sled the snow flap is off the ground a bit. Torsion springs are set on medium. If the track is to tight could this have any affect on anything? If I get into loose snow the temp does drop to 77 degrees pretty fast.

It's defiantly a lack of snow on your cooler causing this. I really can't see track tension having anything to do with it.
Sounds like you need scratchers.
Your going to have to watch it tomorrow and keep kissing the side of the trail.
Are you getting the normal ice down the inside of the tunnel ?

It's defiantly a lack of snow on your cooler causing this. I really can't see track tension having anything to do with it.
Sounds like you need scratchers.
Your going to have to watch it tomorrow and keep kissing the side of the trail.
Are you getting the normal ice down the inside of the tunnel ?

Ya I'm just shocked the skidoos are running fine and I'm having all kinds of issues. It's usually the skidoo over heating. Do you think it's doing damage to the engine going into limp mode like that when it gets hot? There is some ice on the inside sides of the tunnel but not very much.

C

Coolant is at the cold line in reservoir when engine is cold. Unless there is an air lock?

So I just had something similar happen, wasn't as bad but it did over heat a couple time, than I was WOT on the lake and poof a big puff of steam came up through the hood. It was antifreeze. I had the main line blow off, hose clamp wasn't tight from the factory. Luckily my friend had antifreeze and I had a leatherman to re-tighten hose clamp. My overflow still showed full, however once the sled cooled down I took off the side panels and hood and loosened the main rad cap and all the antifreze in the reservoir disappeared into the system.

After reading the service manual I followed their directions and ran the engine for 4-5 minutes to get it hot, than shut it down for a few minutes and open the main cap. The air would gurgle out than I would top up the rad to the top and repeat the steps until no air would gurgle out and the level didn't drop. Than I filled back up the reservoir to the cold level. After a good hour ride I checked it all again just to be sure.

You may possibly have an airlock or lost some fluid although I think you would have smelled or noticed a leak. But don't be fooled by the amount in the reservoir. You need to remove all panels and open the main rad cap and see if its full. Good Luck

So I just had something similar happen, wasn't as bad but it did over heat a couple time, than I was WOT on the lake and poof a big puff of steam came up through the hood. It was antifreeze. I had the main line blow off, hose clamp wasn't tight from the factory. Luckily my friend had antifreeze and I had a leatherman to re-tighten hose clamp. My overflow still showed full, however once the sled cooled down I took off the side panels and hood and loosened the main rad cap and all the antifreze in the reservoir disappeared into the system.

After reading the service manual I followed their directions and ran the engine for 4-5 minutes to get it hot, than shut it down for a few minutes and open the main cap. The air would gurgle out than I would top up the rad to the top and repeat the steps until no air would gurgle out and the level didn't drop. Than I filled back up the reservoir to the cold level. After a good hour ride I checked it all again just to be sure.

You may possibly have an airlock or lost some fluid although I think you would have smelled or noticed a leak. But don't be fooled by the amount in the reservoir. You need to remove all panels and open the main rad cap and see if its full. Good Luck

I will pull my rad cap off tomorrow and check, I know I checked all the clamps before I come up to make sure they were tight. Does it to any harm to the engine when you run it into limp mode for over heating? It sucks, takes all the fun out of the trip to when you spend the whole time looking at that heat gauge.

Back