• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hey Sidewinder guys have you seen this? GAP cold air intake ram air for factory airbox !!

I would have thought that a 3d printer would be used for rapid prototype development and then other means for production. I think I've read that ram air can be beneficial at speeds above 150 mph? In my experience ram air offers little to no benefit especially on a turbo application. Just get the air from a cool location and let the turbo handle the rest.

They are also claiming that it increases boost. I fail to understand how an intake can increase the boost pressure. Seems like that would require holding the wastegate closed longer... which this piece is obviously not going to do.

Has anyone one tried this GAP intake yet ?

I would have thought that a 3d printer would be used for rapid prototype development and then other means for production. I think I've read that ram air can be beneficial at speeds above 150 mph? In my experience ram air offers little to no benefit especially on a turbo application. Just get the air from a cool location and let the turbo handle the rest.
I don't want to get off track but, in a few decades of comparing motorcycles with and w/o factory ram-air, I can say without hesitation that it starts working at about 60 mph, and increases from there. At speed, it will make a noticeable difference.

Has anyone tried this GAP intake yet ?

I really, really, wanted to pull the trigger on this. Im a sucker for more boost and the mention of 2 extra pounds of boost really had me nibbling on the hook.

Heres why I didnt bite;
1. The ram air chute plugs the whole hole and blocks off ALL air to the clutches. Using an Ultimax belt will cure all belt issues, but you still gotta let some air in there to cool things off. Having no air come into the clutch compartment is asking for trouble.
2. Air will take the path of least resistance. The top of the airbox is still open, hence air coming in will bounce off the filter, exit the top hole, follow the ducting in the cab, and exit the console in your lap......resulting in cold testicles.

I hate cold testicles more than I love boost!! Just my opinion.....

I really, really, wanted to pull the trigger on this. Im a sucker for more boost and the mention of 2 extra pounds of boost really had me nibbling on the hook.

Heres why I didnt bite;
1. The ram air chute plugs the whole hole and blocks off ALL air to the clutches. Using an Ultimax belt will cure all belt issues, but you still gotta let some air in there to cool things off. Having no air come into the clutch compartment is asking for trouble.
2. Air will take the path of least resistance. The top of the airbox is still open, hence air coming in will bounce off the filter, exit the top hole, follow the ducting in the cab, and exit the console in your lap......resulting in cold testicles.

Oh man fleecer,i have to agree with the cold balls,i do have a nice seat heater,but it has never roasted my balls,now has butt,thats another story....lol.

Heres why I didnt bite;

You can alway add moflow vents for clutches
20200326_223629.jpg
20200326_223646.jpg

You can alway add moflow vents for clutches View attachment 154422 View attachment 154423

I was thinking about the same thing yamamarc. Anybody running these moflow vents have input on whether snow dust gets in? Last thing I want would be moisture on the belt, but if the moflow vents prevent that, this might be a great solution to getting airflow in on the clutches.

Frogzskin has all kinds of sizes and shapes. A number of companies sell panel vents like Moflow, etc. The ones I have in the front of both of my side panels I got at SpeedWerx. I also have a number of Frogzskin ones.

Attachments

• panel vent exhaust side.1.jpg
    panel vent exhaust side.1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 148
  • panel vent clutch side.1.jpg
    panel vent clutch side.1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 142
I was thinking about the same thing yamamarc. Anybody running these moflow vents have input on whether snow dust gets in? Last thing I want would be moisture on the belt, but if the moflow vents prevent that, this might be a great solution to getting airflow in on the clutches.
0 issues over 3000km on them

Back