• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

High speed Ratcheting

tonykof

Expert
I have the stock suspension w/anti-ratchets, limiters pulled way up & the transfer rods set so there is less than 1/4" gap. (Oh yeah, I'm running a 136 x .75 track w/275 chisels) If I run my track fiddle string tight I can get it to take off w/out ratcheting but it starts to ratchet at 100 mph. It's frustraiting the heck out of me! I think it's time for the Stock suspension to go.. Some of you guys run the Expert-X in your sled & it seems to work. I do a lot of messing around drag racing on hardpack & on the lake & a few radar runs etc.. I've read up on the Expert-X some & the word is that it will fix the ratchet problems & not hurt top speed.. Could I get your take on this? I just hate running my track this tight & I'm afraid ratcheting at high speeds is going to leave me with a real mess one day...
Thanks
Tony

Is the Expert-X for me? I know I can get a Polaris or Arctic for much less money.. But if the Expert is the way to go so be it..

X-pert will rob some top end - not as bad as the M-10 or Monoshock - but it will. The Cat or Poo skid will be faster - just won't handle the bumps as well.

I ran the x-pert on my 04 Warrior,no boost ,stock drivers,had Boondocker nitrous on it. Could not get it to ratchet, as the suspension compress's the track get's tighter and tranfers like crazy. Can not speak for top end loss as I was only worried about getting there fast. ;)!

Oh yeah ,just ordered one for my attak (stock one has to go)

Thats the first time I've heard the Xpert looses top speed, If so, this is not good... How does it do in the snow? When i hit a couple inches of snow with the Proaction you can feel it slow..

I love my Expert and I'll take a 2-3 mph hit - I run a Turbo now anyways so I am still faster than most out there. If your looking to do mostly speed runs - your not gonna want a skid that sits you as high as the Xpert - always a tradeoff.

As for slowing when hitting more snow - I would think that would be normal of any skid. I don't do a lot of deep snow riding - but know for a 121 with a 1 1/4 track - it does as well if not better than most short trackers. I can't remember ever getting stuck in something that another 121 made it through.

77srxdude said:
The Cat or Poo skid will be faster - just won't handle the bumps as well.

What the catand poo skids will eat the proactions in the bumps.Not shure where you came up with this.Alot of guys are replacing there no actions with poo and cat skids.

Pro - I should have been more specific - that was in relation to runnin an Expert or M-10.

Cat, Poo, Proaction equal more speed

M-10 and Xpert - better bump handlin.

77srxdude said:
I love my Expert and I'll take a 2-3 mph hit - I run a Turbo now anyways so I am still faster than most out there. If your looking to do mostly speed runs - your not gonna want a skid that sits you as high as the Xpert - always a tradeoff.

As for slowing when hitting more snow - I would think that would be normal of any skid. I don't do a lot of deep snow riding - but know for a 121 with a 1 1/4 track - it does as well if not better than most short trackers. I can't remember ever getting stuck in something that another 121 made it through.

Sorry, poor wording on my part.. What I ment was like if you were to compare an M-10 to a Polaris edge suspension the edge would walk away...

Maybe I'm too picky but I would have to think back 10+ years when I rode a sled with a suspension as bad as the proaction.. I guess I do have to consider the fact that 10 years ago I never had 250hp either...
Thanks for the opinion guys, anyone else?
EZride?
Holtz?
Fabcraft?
I'm not totally against going to a 144..

BTW, I had an ohlin shocked M-10 in an 03 RX1 turbo short track. Rode nice, no transfer & sucked the life out of the top speed...

Yes I understand what you are saying now - I ran an M-10 on my 02XC8 and a buddy had the same sled with the Edge. The edge has a better attack angle( less) at the front compared to the M-10. the ExpertX is more than the Edges and less than the M-10.

Basically it won't be as good as the Edge, but should be beter than the M-10 as far as getting into more snow.

tony my preference is the xpert i run apex turbos with 136 they are incredible wicked weight transfer and adjustability is great. i didnt lose any mph but if it is happening i would recomend replacing rear idlers to 8inch they come with small wheels. also there was a article in the suspension section on ty thats where i masde my decision from. one tip if you purchase put the mounting plates inside the tunnel cleaner look. we doubled the plates end to end ran them up into the bulkhead after welding them together riveted to bulkhead it stiffened the chassis alot with over 300hps no more flexing and more top end. hope this helps you wont be disapointed with this product and they are on sale now direct from boivon.

tonykof said:
I have the stock suspension w/anti-ratchets, limiters pulled way up & the transfer rods set so there is less than 1/4" gap. (Oh yeah, I'm running a 136 x .75 track w/275 chisels) If I run my track fiddle string tight I can get it to take off w/out ratcheting but it starts to ratchet at 100 mph. I think it's time for the Stock suspension to go.. just hate running my track this tight & I'm afraid ratcheting at high speeds is going to leave me with a real mess one day...
Thanks
Tony

I had the same problem, that is why I switched to the expert skid. I tryed a Cat skid in it and it worked well to. I don't think you will have problems with a Cat, Poo or Expert skid. ;)! And better be careful with the ratcheting over 100 mph. I eventually snapped my drive shaft cause of the stress on the metal from ratcheting at that speed. It can do alot of damage. :o|

The Xpert has adjustability of the shock angle that allows you to change ride height. You'll want to check with Boivin for the exact amount it can be lowered.

Need for speed - you just described every skid made :)

The Xpert sits higher than any stock Poo or Cat skid - as does the M-10. You can't gain more travel without raising the tunnel height.

You can alleviate that to a degree by lessening the shock angle and setting the springs on the softest settings - but obviously you ride quality is going to diminish.

Back