• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

how does the viper handle?

wileya

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
15 sr viper rtx se
have heard some cat guys talking about their sleds and many of them have said that their sled seems to push pretty hard in the corners. just wondering what you guys think about your vipers when it comes to that. also wondering how big of a difference it makes from upgrading your skis.

Mine pushed until I put slim Jim's on. In loose conditions will still push some but by far the best handling sled I've ever owned.

Mine pushes a bit even with dual carbides. Worse now that they are worn down some. I think I need to crank up my front springs a bit. Tried yesterday and found the retainers so tight I could not loosen them with the supplied tools. It isn't bad tho. You can still haul the mail with this thing

Finally got to try a couple of Vipers yesterday Yamaha Canada had some demos.Being a Cat guy I was looking forward to trying the newer chassis.Tried the shorty deluxe and the 137 deluxe they both were darting so bad you could barely keep it on the trail.Checked the carbides they were the singles.Hopped on a Apex after with the dual tuner skis and I could have rode it with one hand no darting at all.Was very disappointed with the Viper.

Lots of new sleds suck with stock carbides. My 07 phazer sucked, Nytro sucked, wifes 2012 shift sucked...I didn't bother running stock carbides on the Viper and put duals on before it left the shop. It pushes a bit but I can hold it with one hand for pretty much as long as I want to. This is the first sled that allowed me to do that.

Push

My ltx pushed pretty bad at first. I was running the cat staggered dual 4" runner on the stock ski.After damaging one of the skis on a rock in the first 10 miles and after about 200 miles of under steer, did some research and ordered a set of curve skis with 6" carbide. Handling improved dramatically .... Little to no push ,very light steering effort ,sled goes where you aim it . Only problem is it darted bad on grooved trails ..... Real bad . They suggested their "leading edge"dual carbide front runner when I originally ordered my skis but I opted not to .

After installing the dual leading edge carbides (they mount in front of the existing wearbar) they have almost eliminated all darting but the great news is it handles even better . Skis feel like there glued to the ground and steering feels even lighter now ...

FYI ... I'm running the 136" with 96 pics

Its a balancing act. Conditions play a huge part. Important thing is the things you CANT change like cog and front to rear balance and hands down the Viper is a HUGE improvement over any 4st Yamaha. Not even close.

Re: Push

NOMOREBRAHPP said:
My ltx pushed pretty bad at first. I was running the cat staggered dual 4" runner on the stock ski.After damaging one of the skis on a rock in the first 10 miles and after about 200 miles of under steer, did some research and ordered a set of curve skis with 6" carbide. Handling improved dramatically .... Little to no push ,very light steering effort ,sled goes where you aim it . Only problem is it darted bad on grooved trails ..... Real bad . They suggested their "leading edge"dual carbide front runner when I originally ordered my skis but I opted not to .

After installing the dual leading edge carbides (they mount in front of the existing wearbar) they have almost eliminated all darting but the great news is it handles even better . Skis feel like there glued to the ground and steering feels even lighter now ...

FYI ... I'm running the 136" with 96 pics

mmm...my findings on the Curves were a tad different then what you found. I bought a pair of used Curves with 7.5 shapers and added the 4" LE. I put them on for one ride for about 50 miles and took them off that night to put my stock skis with 6" Double Downs (slim jims) back on. Here are my findings. The Curves on the Viper get a 10 out of 10 for eliminating any push and for steering effectiveness and accuracy. These Curves flat out work and make the sled go where you want it to go. You want to talk about a sled that rails...i'll give props to the curves as they make this sled rail. The Leading Edge eliminated any darting as well.

Here is what I didn't like and why I took them off and went back to the stockers w/ 6" double downs. The Curves increased steering effort tremendously. I found the steering effort to be very hard. There was so much bite on the front end they added occasional inside ski lift and they also made the rear end squirrely and I have 135 studs. It will be interesting to hear your feedback when after you install the LE to see maybe if the LE is what increased or caused the heavy steering effort. But-there is no way I would run these skis without the LE because I hate darting.

Back with the stockers...running the stockers with 6" double downs/slim jims steering effort is minimal (like power steering) with no darting at all. Push is minimal and whatever push you do have is manageable with some body English. My days of getting 'worn out' by a heavy/hard steering sled are over. The stockers work great with the slim jims at 70-75lbs in the front shocks.

I put 6 doolys up front 144 studs removed rear blocks and rear spring adjusting blocks and i can say this sled rides and handles better than my 2012 800 xp and my apex yes it is not as fast on top end but real trail riding i will take the viper hands down put on 150 miles with a group of xp rushs f8 cat in front all day all but the lakes but not far behind with some tuning this sled will run very close with the 8s Just like any new sled a demo ride is not long enough to to get a true fell it takes a good day or riding to get a good feel for a new ride I am giving this sled a 8 out of ten but my opinion dont mean crap DONT MATTER WHAT YOU RIDE AS LONG AS YOU RIDE

Eaiser

I installed the "dual 4" le's" and have a couple hundred miles on them .. I feel they made my steering lighter . Don't ask me how ??? They did not eliminate darting but it's 90% gone . I know what you mean about making the rear end loose ... I prefer that to push so it suits how I ride .. The sled corners so flat now I smile exiting out of every corner .. Biggest drawback IMO is $$$$$ I went with the upgraded hardware , 6" carbides ,skis,and the dual4" le's .. And the installation template .. Add shipping and there's $600 bucks.... I love how this thing handles now so it was worth it to me .

I wish I could swing curves or even try tuner skis. Yesterday going to fast and almost all hardpack trails with bite and no push I hit a small berm and it pushed unexpectedly over it and flopped on side. I hate push! The vent plug procedure saved day since sled would not stay running. Really need the rollover valve installed. Lost a qt of oil in 30 seconds with it just on right side. Ripped up sticker a bit. Sure Pilots work much better than stockers but not as well as they did on Phazer.

Best handling sled I have ever owned, and I have had all brands. After C&As no pushing or darting. Fastest on the trails than anyone went I want to... :-o

I have C&A XTX with 8 inch shaper and they did perform real good. But they increase steering effort and inside ski lift. I hate darting and inside ski life. I can handle a push but I hate inside ski lift as it slows you down. So I went back to the stockers with 6 inch duals. And I'm happy. I would like to try the tuner skis, but I don't want to wreck the skis in doing so. But no matter what I like don't matter. Everyone is different and some like certain things. It's better to test what you have and get that to your liking. Cause skis are not cheap. And after 5-600$ and you don't like them your kind of screwed. I have the C&A and tuner skis already. So no extra cost on them. Although the C&A look better. I'll stick with the stock ones for now. Until I test something else.

Ski are the main factor with the viper. I have mods, not as known as curves. But they work. It takes very little effort to turn. The suspension was simple to dial in since floats front and rear on my xtx. I do not have push unless I do it to my self with throttle transfer. I have it set to lift the skis easily. So of course I can not crack the gas in the corner.

Anyone that knows my history knows I needed to have light steering effort. I warn everyone that test drive my viper that it's very responsive and not to over steer in the corners.

I notice if I turn lightly it rails. If I crank the steering it pushes. But once I figured them out I really like them.

My 2 cents.

I installed the tuner skiis with two 6" shapers on each ski. This is the best setup for me yet.

I've tried stock skiis with snow trackers and deuce bars and it wasn't predictable in all the conditions. I find the tuners great in loose or hard packed trails with very little darting. You can drive the corners hard and know what the sled is going to do. I found the stock skiis would give a slight push then grab with the ol inside ski lift.

These skiis should come standard on the 2015's

Back