• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many of the original 03 RX-1M guys are still out there?

my trx

174 mcx

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 458
  • PIC_0111.JPG
    PIC_0111.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 136
  • PIC_0114.JPG
    PIC_0114.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 137
I love this thread!!

Great thread Frosty! I don't mean to rain on the parade but why did you switch to Cat and what have you noticed that you now can do or not do with the cat? Does it feel noticeably lighter, ride lighter....are you as tired at the end of the day.....can it climb better or worse....come on man give the details! We all love our Yamaha's but by April I'm really ready for a lighter machine! Cat would be my choice especially with the new M8....gotta love the idea of riding a machine that's 150 lbs lighter then my lightened Apex Mnt.....share the low down and dirty with us all! :Rockon:

Frostbite said:
Oh oh Dooman. You didn't eat the cookies did you? :-o

Next thing you know there will be a 2010 M8 in your shop. Be careful the dark side can be very seductive.

Frosty, I commited to Team Blue......ordered my MCX 180 kit for my Nytro last week..... (no Cat in my garage, other then the Mudpros).....hoepfully they show up soon!!!

Doo_mann is back on BOOST - AWSOME!!!!!!

I saw on SW that you order the Fox float conversion for the skid - please post some pics when you have it installed

well mine is an 04, but im the original owner. was going to sell it and get an apex. No buyers, so i put a 162 under it and it has been great

Attachments

• IMG_1830_1.JPG
    IMG_1830_1.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1833_1.JPG
    IMG_1833_1.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 145
  • February 09 047.jpg
    February 09 047.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 139
Got Juice, my answer would probably be best put in a PM so I don't irritate anyone yet, I will share some details.

First - I in no way wanted to buy a Cat last spring. I wanted a much lighter Yamaha and frankly after riding my sled for 7 seasons and hoping for a true mountain sled from yamaha, I was tired of waiting. I rode a Nytro and it just wasn't what I was looking for so I decided to look outside the Yamaha fold.

First I focused on the Summit XP since I grew up riding Skidoos. Then I went on Dootalk and read their mail and ran away screaming like a girl from all the horrible engine and clutch related issues they were having.

Next I read the Polaris forums and the 09 800 engines just weren't staying together either. Every other post was from some guy who wasn't riding because he was waiting for parts. Yikes!

The only thing left was Cat. I hate cats! I have bad mouthed them since I was a little kid in Northern Minnesota. We rode Skidoos and the Neighbors rode Cats. I still remember the decal we had on the hood of our sled with a yellow eagle with a Cat in its talons. I also am not a fan at all of Arctic cat green. The only way I would ride a Cat was if it was white.

Yet, their engines (the 800 more so than the 1000) were the only two strokes that seemed to be staying together. I found a dealer that offered to take me on a demo ride with a M8 Sno Pro 153" and a M1000 Sno Pro 162". They both had the full SLP pipe setups. I rode both back to back and the M8 was 30 lbs lighter and it felt 100 lbs lighter. The M8 snapped the skis in the air when the throttle was pinned and the M1000 accelerated like a diesel. I was shocked, especially since I had my heart set on a M1000. We then drag raced them and the M8 killed the M1000 off the line. I heard the M1000 was catching up but, I was on the M8 so I never saw that part.

The dealer offered me a killer price of less than $8,000 with a two year warranty, a full SLP pipe setup, a Boss seat, a 42/36 Black Diamond helix ,etc. delivered to my shop by a Cat mechanic to answer all my questions (I had a lot).

The sled is like riding a Phazer (the old light ones). It's now below 430 lbs. I sent the head and cylinders off to SLP this summer as part of their performance edition package. Now the sled is just over 170 hp.

What can I do that I couldn't do on my RX-1?

Don't get me wrong, I love my RX-1 too but...........

I can turn around while going down a mountain and shoot right back up. I no longer need to go to the bottom of the hill to turn around.

I came to the top of a climb and kept the sled in a wheelie and spun it around in a 360 in that wheelie and then finished the climb. I had no idea I knew how to do that.

The lines I now take climbing mountains are FAR more technical that I could take on my RX-1. That's because I can control the sled so much more easily it allows me to be able to challenge myself more while climbing through tight trees.

You're right, I don't feel as tired as I once did after riding either . I'm now herding much less weight (over 100 lbs).

All in all, I like both sleds but, I plan to ride the new one more.

Frosty

TT said:
Doo_mann is back on BOOST - AWSOME!!!!!!

I saw on SW that you order the Fox float conversion for the skid - please post some pics when you have it installed

Install is pretty straight forward, I really like the feel so far. Not happy with the "sag" but I think it will make up for it in ride quality. I need to get a Float reservoir apparently this helps with the sag.....can't wait to hit the snow next week!

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 147
I still got my 03 1ton. Held on it too long for it to be worth anything. Missed the apex boat, to me there the samething but different plastic & FI. They sure start alot better, but not really a fan of the fuel systems with boost. As for the nytro not sure about the looks. Havent rode one enough to say whether its for me or not.

Well boys I just joined your league - Picked up an 03 rx mountain with Bender Stage 1 Turbo last night. I know I have heard all of the jokes like rx-1 ton & ugly betty at a fashion shoot.

I have 3 rx shortys now and just finished my latest 05 project and love them much better than the Apex platform

I am really not looking for this thing to go to Yellowstone and go verticle, rather I wanted a toy to take up north MN to play on logging roads and the playpens of the UP.

It has a boss seat, the steering post has been moved forward with 8" riser & the guages relocated. The tunnel and track are like new, the sled has 1500 miles on it and the turbo about 400. I have Simmons skis and several sets of Ohlin front shocks for it.

I want to pull the body work and paint it and remove the dash, windshield and install a set of those mini headlights so if I do lay it over I don't have to pick up all of the parts.

I figure if I don't like it I can pull the turbo and put it in my 05 rx and sell the mountain normally aspirated for about what I paid for it.

Heres a pic of the latest project you can click on it to enlarge it

Attachments

• compress front.jpg
    compress front.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 167
Yamadog said:
Well boys I just joined your league - Picked up an 03 rx mountain with Bender Stage 1 Turbo last night. I know I have heard all of the jokes like rx-1 ton & ugly betty at a fashion shoot.

I have 3 rx shortys now and just finished my latest 05 project and love them much better than the Apex platform

I am really not looking for this thing to go to Yellowstone and go verticle, rather I wanted a toy to take up north MN to play on logging roads and the playpens of the UP.

It has a boss seat, the steering post has been moved forward with 8" riser & the guages relocated. The tunnel and track are like new, the sled has 1500 miles on it and the turbo about 400. I have Simmons skis and several sets of Ohlin front shocks for it.

I want to pull the body work and paint it and remove the dash, windshield and install a set of those mini headlights so if I do lay it over I don't have to pick up all of the parts.

I figure if I don't like it I can pull the turbo and put it in my 05 rx and sell the mountain normally aspirated for about what I paid for it.

Heres a pic of the latest project you can click on it to enlarge it

Is that the wife's sled behind it? Looks similar to my wife's sled.

Jim

Attachments

• Valentines_Day.jpg
    Valentines_Day.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 137
Well its going to be hers maybe - if she is really nice to me #$%&* Actually I bought that 2 months ago and did a crap load of work to it and then realized it is a stoudt 900 and I cannot start it without throwing my back out. So I am not sure I want to ride a sled that I have to ask my buddies to start for me :o|

Back