• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane tune?

I think FLEECER set up his Daltons with 72 grams & it revs to 9100 on 270 tune.
Like Dan said, that puts the 240 around 8800ish

Hey Josh,

I have Hurricane 225, 240 and 270 SM tune bundle In mine. Hurricane recommenced 78 grams in the clutch weights(Hurricane sent STM weights..not Dalton). I ran it for 425 miles back in December, and it was Certainly much more powerful than stock set up. But it was knocking on the 270 tune if I held it wide open for more than a few seconds, and it would also knock sometimes even in the 240 tune(and this was with super in it) And it would only spin 8400 rpms on the 270 tune...way too low.

So I went home and ordered a set of Dalton QAY 70 weights. We loaded them to 73.1 grams(almost 5 grams less then where it was to start), and put in some Lucas 3x Octane Boost, and tightened up my track, and its a complete Animal now!!! Night and day difference now, from where I started out at 78 grams, and having the R’s too low.

Zero knock lites with the Lucas octane boost, 270 spins at 8900-8950-although saw 9000 just last week on my last trip, and 240 is at 8650-8750 or so, and even the 225 tune is awesome.

None of my tunes feel poochy or logie at all(might be the octane boost ??), and I clutched it for the 270 tune. I run the 240 most of the time..but when I want absolute blistering power on the rail beds or just feel like it, I push the button for the 270 tune...and it’s blast off time. Makes my two buddies Apex and Doo 850 seem like toys when it’s on the 270 tune. Even the 240 tune is ferocious and has the juice to leave them behind at will. I ride in northern Maine..which is like the Quebec highways..so I wasn’t looking for corner to corner set up. But like I said...with my current set up, this thing rockets out of the hole. If I’m not pointed exactly straight, I have to let off to steer it cuz the skis are off the ground if I punch it too much out of the hole. It’s studded up quite a bit, so it hooks up well.

I have an 18 RTX 129...with 180 1450 Woodys Megabytes singles-inside and outside/4 per row...hooks up great. Gotta run the track nice and tight or she’ll ratchet.

Hope this helps you in setting yours up Josh.

Fleecer on here helped me out a lot...he really knows his stuff. He’s from caribou..and I do my riding up there in his area..so he knew what I was looking for as far as set up. Great guy.

Oh and...I do have a Turbosmart BO Valve in mine, and a 3 bar map sensor as well. I do think these are necessities if your going 240 horse and up. Stock BO Valve is junk period, so at least get rid of that.

Last edited:
I also just recently had the SM Hurricane bundle installed by Knappattack who is a vendor and has lots of seat time with tuned Winders.

I have the QAY-70's loaded right now with the 1" slug. They weigh in around 74.4 grams. This is with the Dalton blue primary spring, the Blk/Org secondary on a stock helix at 6-2 twist. My plan was to run it mostly on the 240 for the trails. What I am seeing (and a surprise to Knapp) is 8800 at the 225, 9-9100 at the 240 and 9200 plus on the 270 tune. Mike thought my R's were a bit high being he set another customers up with same and it was spot on 87-8800 with this weight on the 240 setting. My only thought is mine has over 5000 miles on it so maybe they break in with more miles like the old Apex. All I know is the little bit I had to test it before Mother Nature called the end to winter, this thing really rips!

I too have the 3 bar map sensor and the Turbosmart BOV.

I have a 137 StxDX with a 1.6" lug Cobra but no studs. Good enough for the trails for me.

Last edited:
You cannot just expect the sled to be setup right automatically. I spent several days setting up my clutches after I flashed her. I tested several different RPMs for MY STYLE RIDING. I ended up a fair but different then most told me to be at.
Thanks Dan very good information but 1 issue is hurricane says I shouldn't go over 8800 rpm
When you run a jukebox setup of more then one MAP, you need to make some decisions. First being which map do you expect to run mostly. I run my 270 map 99% of the time, so I set things up for that primarily.

I found that for instant snap, corner to corner(which it seems like you are looking for) the best setup is revving the 270 map higher then most will tell you. This allows the 240 map to be still quite useful.

So you need to go out, put in some good fuel so you do not get any knock lite within 1000ft at least. Need a road or lake preferably with space. I'll assume you dont have data logging, so you need to watch the tach running WOT and see where she is revving on top. Lighten up your weights, to make sled rev 9 to 9100 on 270 map. This should have the 240 map revving around 8600-8700 on top then. This will make the 270 map a complete animal corner to corner with snap that will hit hard. If you rev the 270 map at 8800 only, the 240 map becomes pointless to use, and at 8800 the 270 map will not have the corner to corner snap down at very bottom.

If you still dont have snap...then it may be you need a CAI. And if still you feel its not there, then you may need a performance muffler and corresponding tunes.

Dan

Great info here guys....

I think most of us out trail riding have found the same thing, rev the 270 a tad higher makes the Jukebox work well overall....

I know I absolutely love how I got my sled setup, and have not touched my weights for near two seasons now. Just love it.

It does sound like the SM tunes can be just as snappy as the Perf Muffler tunes which is good to know for the future. If and when I go to a newer sled, I may consider the stock muffler tunes saving the muffler mod cost. I was abit concerned the snap would not be there with SM tune VS Perf Muffler tune. I know when I added my CAI it became snappier, and was not sure if a SM tune would do same with CAI since SM wont breath out as fast, so breathing in any quicker might not happen.

The Hurricane 270r tunes be it SM or PM, sure are a blast. Nothing as fun as this sled in my history, not even close. These things are rockets and the giggle factor is off the charts!

Hey Josh,

I have Hurricane 225, 240 and 270 SM tune bundle In mine. Hurricane recommenced 78 grams in the clutch weights(Hurricane sent STM weights..not Dalton). I ran it for 425 miles back in December, and it was Certainly much more powerful than stock set up. But it was knocking on the 270 tune if I held it wide open for more than a few seconds, and it would also knock sometimes even in the 240 tune(and this was with super in it) And it would only spin 8400 rpms on the 270 tune...way too low.

So I went home and ordered a set of Dalton QAY 70 weights. We loaded them to 73.1 grams(almost 5 grams less then where it was to start), and put in some Lucas 3x Octane Boost, and tightened up my track, and its a complete Animal now!!! Night and day difference now, from where I started out at 78 grams, and having the R’s too low.

Zero knock lites with the Lucas octane boost, 270 spins at 8900-8950-although saw 9000 just last week on my last trip, and 240 is at 8650-8750 or so, and even the 225 tune is awesome.

None of my tunes feel poochy or logie at all(might be the octane boost ??), and I clutched it for the 270 tune. I run the 240 most of the time..but when I want absolute blistering power on the rail beds or just feel like it, I push the button for the 270 tune...and it’s blast off time. Makes my two buddies Apex and Doo 850 seem like toys when it’s on the 270 tune. Even the 240 tune is ferocious and has the juice to leave them behind at will. I ride in northern Maine..which is like the Quebec highways..so I wasn’t looking for corner to corner set up. But like I said...with my current set up, this thing rockets out of the hole. If I’m not pointed exactly straight, I have to let off to steer it cuz the skis are off the ground if I punch it too much out of the hole. It’s studded up quite a bit, so it hooks up well.

I have an 18 RTX 129...with 180 1450 Woodys Megabytes singles-inside and outside/4 per row...hooks up great. Gotta run the track nice and tight or she’ll ratchet.

Hope this helps you in setting yours up Josh.

Fleecer on here helped me out a lot...he really knows his stuff. He’s from caribou..and I do my riding up there in his area..so he knew what I was looking for as far as set up. Great guy.

Oh and...I do have a Turbosmart BO Valve in mine, and a 3 bar map sensor as well. I do think these are necessities if your going 240 horse and up. Stock BO Valve is junk period, so at least get rid of that.
Dumb ? But as u said it knocks does that mean it falls on its face or is there a light that comes on ? This is all new to me

Dumb ? But as u said it knocks does that mean it falls on its face or is there a light that comes on ? This is all new to me

Oh no...it doesn't fall on it's face at all. There is a light(oil light/temp light)that comes on the cluster and it flashes a few times. The computer will automatically take away power(so you won't have all the power there) to protect the motor..but it doesn't fall flat. Just back out of it at that point if that happens as others have said.

Last edited:
Something that could help those without data logging - if you push and hold down the upper left button on your cluster, it displays highest RPM since last reset. Reset happens each time the sled is shut off. So, if you make a pass, before shutting it off, you can read what highest RPM was.

Great info here guys....

I think most of us out trail riding have found the same thing, rev the 270 a tad higher makes the Jukebox work well overall....

I know I absolutely love how I got my sled setup, and have not touched my weights for near two seasons now. Just love it.

It does sound like the SM tunes can be just as snappy as the Perf Muffler tunes which is good to know for the future. If and when I go to a newer sled, I may consider the stock muffler tunes saving the muffler mod cost. I was abit concerned the snap would not be there with SM tune VS Perf Muffler tune. I know when I added my CAI it became snappier, and was not sure if a SM tune would do same with CAI since SM wont breath out as fast, so breathing in any quicker might not happen.

The Hurricane 270r tunes be it SM or PM, sure are a blast. Nothing as fun as this sled in my history, not even close. These things are rockets and the giggle factor is off the charts!

Dan, you must not have tried your 290 tune...now the new 300 tune. You know the feeling you had going from the 240 to the 270? That's what you get when you go from the 270 to the 290. I ran it all season and it didn't hurt belt life or fuel economy all year.

Antilag for most trail sleds is a waste. Without proper studs and suspension set up it ends up being a great snow cone maker.

Back