• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I called Yamaha

I was on the trigger to buy a 2015 Viper 153",but now i will wait and see what Yamaha has to say about all these problems.
I must say i think it strange that Yamaha hasn`t said anything obout all these problems with the Viper yet?!

^ Surprises me too. I was at my dealer this weekend. No notice on the recall but went in to pick up the reverse actuator parts. He wouldn't give them to me. Said I had to bring it in.

Asked about the ecu re-flash and he didn't know anything about it. Was totally clueless to ANY of the issues other than the recall for the reverse actuator. Ill bring my sled in when the ecu re-flash comes up this summer or whenever. No sense brining it in twice.

What might be the case is that many of the viper guys fix their own stuff. I don't see a viper being an entry level sled. Most guys that buy these have been riding and wrenching nearly all their lives and would rather just do it themselves. Its how I am anyways.

Having guys on here post their ideas, opinions and how-tos has helped to make this winter the best of my life. This would not have been the case had I not done that. I used to believe we were a minority. Perhaps there are more viper owners browsing the forums than any of us realize.

My dealer told me that they should have a re flash soon , they been working on it . He also knows about the mufflers and told me that I should get it in before mine blows apart along with the reverse update , so I think most of the dealers know what's going on !

I'm kinda glad about this muffler thing , I hit a stump and smashed the outlet closed , I opened it back up but it's all f-ed up and not really round anymore!!!

Zrxpilot said:
What might be the case is that many of the viper guys fix their own stuff. I don't see a viper being an entry level sled. Most guys that buy these have been riding and wrenching nearly all their lives and would rather just do it themselves. Its how I am anyways.

Having guys on here post their ideas, opinions and how-tos has helped to make this winter the best of my life. This would not have been the case had I not done that. I used to believe we were a minority. Perhaps there are more viper owners browsing the forums than any of us realize.
X2 best winter I've ever had, and other that the hot starting issue, the best sled I've ever owned. Even with that problem I wouldn't trade this thing for any other sled on the market.

?

09nytro said:
My dealer told me that they should have a re flash soon , they been working on it . He also knows about the mufflers and told me that I should get it in before mine blows apart along with the reverse update , so I think most of the dealers know what's going on !

So are you saying your dealer is willing to replace muffler before it blows?
That would be nice if so. I would take mine in tomorrow!

I have the perfect fix for this issue by yamaha. Use the nytro ecu and Fuel injection system and ditch the ac fuel injection system. Problem solved! My nytro has ran and started like a champ for 7000+ miles now. :).

The ONLY downside is would be the loss of the tricked out gauge package.

Really with how well this engine runs in the nytro it blew my mind to hear yamaha was using an AC FI system in the Viper. This Immediately made me cautious about the viper. Really if they didn't change the clutching and kept yamaha FI system this sled would be so close to perfect as far as run quality and handling is concerned. In my opinion anyway.

I love how the viper handles but sure will be happy when issues like this are ironed out.

Thanks to anyone who is bringing these issues to yamaha's attention.

Re: ?

IH8CROWS said:
09nytro said:

So are you saying your dealer is willing to replace muffler before it blows?
That would be nice if so. I would take mine in tomorrow!

Yes they are , cheaper to do it now than when it melts everything and they have to replace more stuff !!!!

talked to my dealer they are not saying much about a reflash or the muffler update but when my gauge cluster had moisture in it he just walked over to one on the floor took its gauge said here also says if my muffler starts to go just bring it in and they will just take one off the one on the floor this service is one reason i switched from doo :sled1:

Straight_up_XTX said:
I have the perfect fix for this issue by yamaha. Use the nytro ecu and Fuel injection system and ditch the ac fuel injection system. Problem solved! My nytro has ran and started like a champ for 7000+ miles now. :).

Really with how well this engine runs in the nytro it blew my mind to hear yamaha was using an AC FI system in the Viper. This Immediately made me cautious about the viper. Really if they didn't change the clutching and kept yamaha FI system this sled would be so close to perfect as far as run quality and handling is concerned. In my opinion anyway.

I love how the viper handles but sure will be happy when issues like this are ironed out.

Just like Yamaha's race team...Yamaha ECU.
Yamaha should know! That's the exact reason the race team is doing it!

Yes full yamaha ecu, throttle buddies, throttle lever on the viper. Sounds like an awsome year 5 upgrade for the SR chassis viper! :)

The real question for me is whether the use of an AC FI system was a deal breaker for the viper to be built by AC? I mean its not like yamaha didn't already have the parts available to make the 1049 perform identically to how it does in the nytro.

Boy I wish CR could shed some light on this but I know he cant in his position.

YamahaTim said:
Straight_up_XTX said:

Just like Yamaha's race team...Yamaha ECU.
Yamaha should know! That's the exact reason the race team is doing it!

On the stock sled they run the A/C gauge and ecu. In the mod sled they run the Yamaha Stuff.

Straight_up_XTX said:

The performance issue isn't the ECU its the Yamaha clutches, a few of us have proved that. Compare a Viper clutch with an old Nytro clutch....you can see differences in the end cap just by looking at least you can on mine. I suspect the old dies wore out and also may have different vendors for clutch bushing?

Anyways properly set up Viper beats comaprable Nytro.

Sorry I should have specified. ..

Yamaha ecu and FI would solve the starting issues.

I agree performance issues are totally clutch based.
I tried shagman's xtx while on a demo ride and it was night and day better than the stock xtx demo sled was. His was setup with the nytro belt and other clutching work.

I just think this starting issue should have been a non issue since the nytro starts so well (once the fuel pump relay was updated anyway. Lol!)

Straight_up_XTX said:
Sorry I should have specified. ..

Yamaha ecu and FI would solve the starting issues.

I agree performance issues are totally clutch based.
I tried shagman's xtx while on a demo ride and it was night and day better than the stock xtx demo sled was. His was setup with the nytro belt and other clutching work.

I just think this starting issue should have been a non issue since the nytro starts so well (once the fuel pump relay was updated anyway. Lol!)

if you thought that was good its better than that now. see the post by (MY xtx setup, ride and review) by NOS-PRO it shows what we are running now. still needs a little fine tuning but it rocks. stingray719 was also a big help on this read his post (Found our missing power) for higher elevation.

Back