• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I called Yamaha

mtotguy

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Rush 800, 2014 Viper RTX, 1983 Excel 3
A week ago I had a particularly bad episode of the hot no-start phenomenon. I was in the U.P. It was -15°. We stopped to change a belt on my wife's Nytro and afterward the Viper wouldn't start. This has happened a lot on my sled but this time it REALLY didn't want to start. I was running the battery dead. We finally took the side covers off and fanned air under the hood and threw snow on the engine. After 15 minutes of standing around wondering which lucky guy was going to tow me 25 miles it started. I called Yamaha customer relations. (800-962-7926). I spoke to a technical representative (Bradley) who said the same thing I've been hearing all along...we're working on it. I told him that wasn't acceptable. If they couldn't fix it I wanted to be compensated. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He said "no". I asked who at Yamaha I could call to further discuss this. He said "nobody". He said they'll notify me when they come up with something. I'm really pissed off now. I'm not sure where I'm going next but I'm really pissed off at being treated like crap!

I think posting here is a good start. I would also follow up by writing a letter to Yamaha as well.

I have asked my dealer several times about a fix, tells me nothing yet.If I have to go another season of this, no more Yamaha for me.

I have also had the same experience. Sled has been at the dealer for 4 weeks now for the exhaust issue that most are having around 1900-2100 miles. Yamaha customer service pretty has told me to get fu*$#@!! I am a very upset customer at this point.

Did you try going through your dealer? That would be the first place to go. They should have a local field /service rep that can help you more than the guy at customer service. It also begins to create a paper trail of warranty concerns. Calling customer service and asking a guy who has absolutely no control in anything will not get you anywhere.

I work in a dealership environment and handled right they can be your best advocate. You should always give your dealer the first chance!

jp111 said:
Did you try going through your dealer? That would be the first place to go. They should have a local field /service rep that can help you more than the guy at customer service. It also begins to create a paper trail of warranty concerns. Calling customer service and asking a guy who has absolutely no control in anything will not get you anywhere.

I work in a dealership environment and handled right they can be your best advocate. You should always give your dealer the first chance!

Agreed, a field rep can have the power to have them take a muffler off a new one is what I have been told. Been decades since I worked at a dealership though anybody know for sure?

Nice answer from Yamaha (Bradley) #$%&*
There is so much going around with this Viper now that Yamaha never will have a chance to fix for the next 2015 models.
I havent reading anywhere what they are going to do with all the problems with this Viper.??

mtotguy said:
A week ago I had a particularly bad episode of the hot no-start phenomenon. I was in the U.P. It was -15°. We stopped to change a belt on my wife's Nytro and afterward the Viper wouldn't start. This has happened a lot on my sled but this time it REALLY didn't want to start. I was running the battery dead. We finally took the side covers off and fanned air under the hood and threw snow on the engine. After 15 minutes of standing around wondering which lucky guy was going to tow me 25 miles it started. I called Yamaha customer relations. (800-962-7926). I spoke to a technical representative (Bradley) who said the same thing I've been hearing all along...we're working on it. I told him that wasn't acceptable. If they couldn't fix it I wanted to be compensated. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He said "no". I asked who at Yamaha I could call to further discuss this. He said "nobody". He said they'll notify me when they come up with something. I'm really pissed off now. I'm not sure where I'm going next but I'm really pissed off at being treated like crap!

how can they say they have no fix for the hot no start problem when they say they have a fix for it on the 15's??

How could "Bradley" have compensated you? If he had a fix I don't think he would be holding out on you. I understand your upset but calling this poor sap who is told to put the fires out has no clue how he can help without a fix. Dealers have way more pull then a consumer IMHO.

wileya said:
how can they say they have no fix for the hot no start problem when they say they have a fix for it on the 15's??

If they have not announced a fix yet, it's no surprise that they aren't talking about it publicly. It's has already been said that 2015 have new mapping. I'm sure a bulletin or something will come out and in typical Cat fashion, I wouldn't expect to see it before this summer or fall. Likely to see more than one update announced at the same time.

Arctic Cat has a fix for it, but it has to be EPA tested and certified...that takes time. With the season drawing to a close why not test it and get it right this time. Changing the mapping can be tricky. Sad that the Yamaha Motor company is so uninvolved with their "own" snowmobile that they can't even take the responsibility to get their own engine to run right.

Heck, with so many serious problems they don't know where to start! Should start with a all new chassis all made by Yamaha!

They really don't give a crap anymore...they proved that by building sleds without working hand warmers for eight years!

Back