• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I Need Your Opinion

sxmatt

Pro
I have had both the front and rear arms on the rear skid of my 06 Attak replaced because the holes in the arms for the shock mounting bolts have become ovalized.

To prevent this from happening again I was thinking of having the shock mounting holes on the arms enlarged and have a thrust washer made to fit into the new hole. The thrust washer would have the same internal diameter as the origional holes in the arms so I could use the stock mounting bolt. The outer diameter would be made to match the newly enlarged mounting holes. The thrust washer would then be welded to the arm.

My thinking with this is that the surface area between the thrust washer and the new enlarged hole in the arm has a much greater contact surface area than that of the standard hole and the mounting bolt. This will distribute the force over a greater surface area thus reducing the chance of ovalizing the openning.

What do you guys think. My sled will be out of warranty so I would need to purchase new arms as an out of pocket expense rather than being covered under warranty.

Thanks
Matt
;)!

I'm supprised to see that you have had such a problem with this. At any rate I would agree with your plan. Just make sure that any additional stickout from the mounting area does not interfere with the track or any other part of the susp. When I added my home made anti shock rub deal I had to work within the center lugs on the inside of the track. However since that was possible I would have to believe that a broader eyelet shouldn't be an issue.

If I understand what you are planing, opening the holes and installing larger bushings, or thrust washers as you called them, and reuse the stock bolts. This will only work if you weld the new bushings to the arm.

Mongo

That is what I was planning to do. I think I did mention it my origional post.

LB and Doc. Bolts were never out or nuts loosened. Service manager says it happens more than one would think. Maybe people should check theirs.

Matt
;)!

Back