• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I notice quite a few bends in yamaha's tunnel's

THE-TRUTH

Another thing i notice is the tunnel's being bent is they are all mono shock skids.The problem is the mono shock is useless for anyone over 200 pounds.And by adding a stiffer spring to it,you stress the parts which leads to part failure.Yamaha has to add tunnel reinforcements at the factory.They might as well for 15,000 cdn dollars.

You have pic's, and what part of the tunnel, I'm 215 unsuited and I've got little over 9.000kms and no problems so far, I've herd of some GT's buckling the rear part but has been addressed with 4 reinforcement plates which I've also added to my '05 for extra insurance...

they bend when flaps get caught in studs when reversing....hence the new flaps for 07.

the GTs for 07 have the brackets in them....not sure why ONLY the GTS get brackets and no other mono.

mine has been fine....but if you feel you might have issues,you can add the brackets from 07 gt.

dan

THE-TRUTH said:
Another thing i notice is the tunnel's being bent is they are all mono shock skids.The problem is the mono shock is useless for anyone over 200 pounds.And by adding a stiffer spring to it,you stress the parts which leads to part failure.Yamaha has to add tunnel reinforcements at the factory.They might as well for 15,000 cdn dollars.

I put 19,600 km on my 05 RX-1 and the tunnel is still mirror flat where some of the GT's have buckled. I ride my sleds fairly hard too and many of those miles were with loaded saddle bags and a trunk bag.

My 05 didn't have any of the extra tunnel reinforcements. The 06 Apex had a pair of reinforcements added and the 07 GT has a total of 4 reinforcement plates added. On my new 07 RTX I did add the extra pair of GT reinforcements but I really don't think I needed to (just extra insurance). To add them to the 07 RTX you have to trim them down by quite a bit (for anyone thinking about adding a pair to their 07 RTX). Trying to suggest that Yamaha reinforcing their tunnels is a bad thing makes no sense. Why is it bad that they're making stronger, more durable sleds that can handle more aggressive riding than their previous sleds could?

As far as the monoshocks being useless for anyone over 200 lbs the serious problems/fatigue failures only occured for the first year of production (2005). For 2006, Yamaha redesigned and reinforced them considerably and the monoshock skid is now very good. If your over 200 lbs and are a very aggressive rider or put on lots of miles, the front pivot arm and slide rails will eventually suffer from fatigue cracks - but I definitely wouldn't call them useless. If your a more typical rider the 06/07 monoshock skids hold up and ride very well once you get the right ride height/right spring for your weight installed. For more aggressive, high mileage riders Yamaha now has the much more durable ProActive CK skid available in the 2007 RTX. Again I only see this as a positive move for Yamaha. They recognised the weaknesses and are now producing more durable, stronger suspensions and now have an extra durable, heavy duty complete package available in the 07 RTX. How is this bad?

If you want something real to complain about with Yamaha's current line up, complain about the idler wheels. Its hard to comprehend that for 3 years of production, Yamaha still is using idler wheels that regularly fall apart. I just picked up my machined suspension components last night so I could install durable 2004 RX-1 idler wheels (you don't really have to machine anything if you install the reasonably durable accessory spoked wheels - I just wanted the absolute maximum in durability and the wider 04 wheels are that).

One other thing Yamaha needs to do is ship the sleds from the factory with much more high speed compression damping in their rear shocks. The other manufacturers have figured out how to provide a soft compliant ride for smaller hits (low speed damping) while providing excellent bottoming out control (high speed compression damping). Why not pay Bruce at Pioneer to consult for them and come up some factory shock tuning that works well out of the box for the average 180-210 lb rider? If Yamaha did this combined with all of their durability and performance improvements, these sleds would truely be top notch.

So do i have this right??

The 05 RX-1's or vector's had no braces. Then when the 06 Apex's came out they got 2 braces, as well as the 06 vectors and rages.

But there still must have been some 2006 apex tunnel problem's so for 2007 the apex GT has an additional 2 braces for a total of 4 for the apex's GT? But why dosen't the 07 ER get the additional braces, and the 07 RTX, especially it being the rough trail sled?

Why did only the 2007 Apex Gt get the second tunnel brackets for 2007 while the RTX and ER just have the same tunnel brackets from 2006??? IF this is ture then if the 2006 RTX an ER's were having trouble then the 2007's will too??

Obviously must have something to do with the EC Ohlins shock and spring set up that is only in the GT.

No problems here but for twenty bucks I put the 07 reinforcement plates in for insurance.

No biggie,

Mr Truth, You might want to try casting your line in another fishing hole.

:yam:

Got 2500 miles and no problems. Check with the dealer and ask about reforcement plates and they could get them but didn"t see a need none of their customers have had a problem. I just watch my flap when backing off the trailer just in case this could be causing a problem.

05 Rage 5,200 miles str8 as an arrow still wouldn't even look at any other sled..all in all the Rage is a hard cross country trail sled to beat! :ORC

Riceburner said:
Obviously must have something to do with the EC Ohlins shock and spring set up that is only in the GT.

No problems here but for twenty bucks I put the 07 reinforcement plates in for insurance.

No biggie,

Mr Truth, You might want to try casting your line in another fishing hole.

:yam:

What is the skid called in the rtx called.That skid is the remedy thats just my opinion though.Your opinions may vary especially if you are old and cant ride hard. :Rockon:

What is the skid called in the rtx called.That skid is the remedy thats just my opinion though.Your opinions may vary especially if you are old and cant ride hard. :Rockon:[/
If you had said that in the first place, ie [ RTX skid apppears to be much better for hard riding ditchbangers than the Mono ] you would have had no comments or arguement from me.

However when some one comes on as a newbie and comments that the mono skid is"useless" for those over 200 lbs when they don't even own a Yamaha, it sounds like trash talk to me and raises my hackles a bit.

Nice clean shot on the age thing though.

You are correct. Closing in on 60 I do not ride near as aggressive as I did for my first 40 years of riding. Age and hard riding takes it toll over the years.

Losing my main hard riding bud to the Grim Reaper 4 years ago did not help either.

Hey, the upside is I get to look around a little now.

:Rockon: yourself

Perhaps I was a little too qick to judge. Sure looked like trash talk and fishin to me the way you wrote it.

I'm not trying to talk trash there mr riceburner.I'm Going to buy a 2008 yamaha apex-rtx er pretty much the best yamaha for my needs.I'm just new to yamaha and am wondering how all the apex line up function's.And since checking out ty4stroke i know how all these sleds work and which one to get.It's like yamaha made the rtx especially for me,after i checked out the yamaha 07 dvd.I would've got the 07rtx er but my dealer has none left over.He has a attak-gt and a apex-gt left over but i want an rtx.And i will wait for the 08 rtx er and then i'll get to enjoy the benefits of owning a yamaha 4 stroke. ;)!

Back