• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I want a tunnel dump exhaust!

RedPhazer

Expert
Hey Guys,

I searched both the Phazer and Phazer Mountain areas, but couldn't find any good/relevant info. I really would love to put a tunnel dump on my Phazer so I can have some storage on the back of the tunnel. Has anyone successfully built this type of exhaust? I was looking at using a Super Trapp with the turndown like the Hauck system but aimed down through a hole in the tunnel. I have a complete spare stock Phazer exhaust to use as a donor and some $$$ if anyone can help with the mock up? I am am in NE Wisconsin if anyone can help! I am NOT looking for an under tunnel exhaust! I wish one of the aftermarket exhaust companies made what I was looking for!

Thanks,
--Tom

You are looking at a tremendous ice buildup situation. I can guarantee you that the heat from a tunnel exiting exhaust will completely encase the tip after it has been shut down for a period of time. Not to mention the amount of ice buildup within the tunnel itself as you are operating the machine. A more sensible approach is a 90 degree turnout with a heat shield.

yea i kinda agree but it would still be something fun to try. have the block off plate and just cut a hole in it big enough for the pipe to go through

I can GUARANTEE that you would get tons of ice buildup with that kind of setup. This is an ongoing problem with the Venture Lite/MP and people are trying just about everything to eliminate it, including extending the exhaust pipe out the back (minimal/no success), wrapping everything in header wrap (works but the wrap disintegrates) and enclosing the muffler. Trust me, you don't want to go there. Just search for Venture and icing and you'll see why.

idk i think it would be different the ventures have the entire muffler under the tunnel i think he just wants to turn it down and just have the tip coming out. yea theres gonna be more ice build up than stock but i dont think it would be that bad

Correct, I was thinking if I could find a short silencer and move it forward a bit and then have a turn down to exit into a hole in the tunnel.

it will ice up bad like these guys are saying, thats the reason we block the tunnel holes off. We want to separate the exhaust heat from the snow flying off the track, so what your idea would result in is tons of icing from the melting and freezing snow dust on the whole heat effected area.

I found this article on why Yamaha uses a rear exhaust:
http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2006/01 ... t-exhaust/

Why do Yamaha 4-stroke sleds route their exhaust out the back? There are several benefits; the rear-exit exhaust is straight for maximum power. Handling is enhanced as the engine design is tipped back to centralize the mass, and the rear muffler location reduces front-end weight. Durability is also improved, as the rear-exit exhaust greatly reduces underhood temperatures.

Wouldnt the exhaust be cool if they could make the actual runningboards into mufflers!Sounds crazy but think about it.Lowest possible C.G. and would take care of iceing issues also.Could point the ends down into the snow for noise reduction.If a good well designed extrusion might add strength.Would look cool too.

I don't think you would have any iceing issues. I have few friends with RX1 and they run the tunnel dump exhaust and have no problems with iceing. I will be going to a tunnel dump next year. The problem with a phazer is you have to fabricate a solid mounting system since your paraleling the tunnel and not the seat frame. Without a proper mounting system the axhaust will rattle apart. I do think the farther back you can dump it through the tunnel the better.

Ruckus said:
What about burned boots issues, lol?

I dont know if a 4ft long dual mufflers would get that hot.Probably would though.Good point.Sure would be nice to get the exhaust outlet pointed at the snow like 2st's.Would easily be able to run a more open exhaust since the snow muffles sound big time.

Tayz588 said:
it will ice up bad like these guys are saying, thats the reason we block the tunnel holes off. We want to separate the exhaust heat from the snow flying off the track, so what your idea would result in is tons of icing from the melting and freezing snow dust on the whole heat effected area.

its not gonna ice as bad as stock and stock was manageable. the block off plate is still gonna be there keeping all snow from getting to the muffler which was causing the ice build up with just the tip exposed i dont think it would be that bad

Back