• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I will install and try the MOTEC plug in ecu remplacement

Ok, finally got everything for the MoTeC installed and setup on my Apex, and finally got enough snow to actually have a chance to drive it. I took pic’s along the way as I did the build, but not sure yet if I should start a new thread as a garage or add on to this thread?
Now for my feedback… The very first thing that stands out is the throttle response from idle (even being a decompressed rear-mount…) is on par with the stocker, unlike how it ever was with the piggy back controller.
I absolutely love the ability to tune the timing and fuel everywhere, and being able to really get the AFR dialed in all the way from cold-start up to full operating temp. Have to be careful, though, because one fat finger and you could do some damage for sure…
I have been using the dual map setup as a way to compare changes I’ve made to maps and settings, etc, by the ability to go out and run the original cal first and then immediately do a back-to-back run with the modified cal by the flip of a switch. It’s been instant feedback if the change made was an improvement or not in the same immediate conditions.
The internal data logging has been priceless, especially during the initial startup and running. The capability of this ECU is overwhelming.
I have a riding trip planned to the Adirondacks in a few weeks so I’ll get to pack some miles on it, put it thru some real world trail paces.

It doesn't come with an autotune with the standard package. The true closed loop feature is an additional option I don't have yet.
What it does come with standard is what MoTeC refers to as "Lambda was" that is a feature if you have an 02 sensor plugged into it (or input your AFR signal like I did with my AEM 31-4100 signal wire) so you can go out and data log a run, come back and download the run, look up what the AFR's were at given throttle position & RPM's etc, manually enter each value in this field and the engine manager software compares the value you entered (what the real AFR "was") to a table of desired Lambda (AFR) that is populated by the tuner, and then automatically makes the changes the old fuel table value at each specific point accordingly so that the next time you run it produces the desired AFR there. DONE!
So it's semi-auto, per say...

However, the initial calibration is pretty darn good and I have only had to play with the setting at the idle RPM to dial it in for my turbo setup and engine. Honestly it's been closer with less fiddling initially then my piggyback was, surprisingly... The tech support has been awesome, too, and it's so easy to send a data logged file or cal via email.
I have not had to change any points yet above the idle in either the fuel or timing tables. The AFR's have been good everywhere else up to 100% throttle at 14 lbs boost so that is a tribute to how much time has been invested in the base calibration for that Apex package. I don't feel I'll need that closed loop.
The next thing I'll be tinkering with is probably the boost control and traction control features that can be taylored using RPM, throttle position, sled speedo reading, GPS input, timers, whatever you want to do. Really cool for a tinkerer like me... Especially since I'm not going to be spending time getting the engine running right, I can play with other things.

It was basically a plug and play, in comes with a harness that plugs into the stock harness connectors for the stock ECU. Pretty simple and straight forward.
The hardest part of the install was having to mount the stock Air Temp sensor in the intercooler airbox because the MoTeC has a fuel and ignition comp for air temp. Actually wasn't that hard, just drilled a hole for the sensor to stick in and another threaded hole to bolt it down so the o-ring would seal. I have a pic of that if someone wants to see that.
Forgot to mention, the ECU also controls the grip and thumb heaters and they work like they should now. The fuel gauge works, the low fuel light works, the over temp light works.
The ECU is configured to communicate all the correct signals to the dash that it needs. Also means you can compensate the speedo readout to accomodate different diameter drivers or the lug size of the track, etc so you can get a real MPH or KPH.
As well, I stumbled across that I can control when the radiator fan comes on. I can make it a temp based setpoint to come on and the temp to then turn off, or even make it speed based (come on when moving slow, or stopped) or a combo of both by building a simple table to reference. It does do variable voltage by % too but I didn't want to try that since the fan is powered by a relay and not direct I think.
The anti-lag stutter / 2-step works and is fully tunable. I'll have to get some vid footage of my Apex spitting flames out the dual outlet muffler building 7 lbs boost. LOL!
That is just the beginning. Can you tell I'm stoked? bring on the CATs! :die

mbarryracing said:
It was basically a plug and play, in comes with a harness that plugs into the stock harness connectors for the stock ECU. Pretty simple and straight forward.
The hardest part of the install was having to mount the stock Air Temp sensor in the intercooler airbox because the MoTeC has a fuel and ignition comp for air temp. Actually wasn't that hard, just drilled a hole for the sensor to stick in and another threaded hole to bolt it down so the o-ring would seal. I have a pic of that if someone wants to see that.
Forgot to mention, the ECU also controls the grip and thumb heaters and they work like they should now. The fuel gauge works, the low fuel light works, the over temp light works.
The ECU is configured to communicate all the correct signals to the dash that it needs. Also means you can compensate the speedo readout to accomodate different diameter drivers or the lug size of the track, etc so you can get a real MPH or KPH.
As well, I stumbled across that I can control when the radiator fan comes on. I can make it a temp based setpoint to come on and the temp to then turn off, or even make it speed based (come on when moving slow, or stopped) or a combo of both by building a simple table to reference. It does do variable voltage by % too but I didn't want to try that since the fan is powered by a relay and not direct I think.
The anti-lag stutter / 2-step works and is fully tunable. I'll have to get some vid footage of my Apex spitting flames out the dual outlet muffler building 7 lbs boost. LOL!

Will this system work on the newer 2011-2012 sleds as the ecu controls the power steering and ex-up valve?

stone88 said:
mbarryracing said:

Will this system work on the newer 2011-2012 sleds as the ecu controls the power steering and ex-up valve?

No, not at this time. The plan is to update the current M400 kit during spring & summer 2012 to include MY2011 & MY2012 models and fully support the newer IAC, knock sensor, power steering and Exup systems.

mbarryracing said:

Good to see you're having fun Mauri!

I'll get your head spinning here: start to imagine what ignition compensations you can build with RPM rate of change (ROC) at different load points..... then hold on to the bars on acceleration.... ;-) Trick we used on the MoTeC turbo Doo that recently won the 2012 edition of the Quebec X drag.

Back