• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Important to check.... (Possible fire!!!!)

**sj**

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
I saw a post on FB and originally thought it was a joke.... But after talking to Bluebyyou2000 it is real.... Not too many... But still important to check the oil return line bolt was loose... Sprayed oil and caught on fire....I checked mine and it was not loose but wasn't tight either...

Attachments

• 20180113_120654-600x800.jpg
    20180113_120654-600x800.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 507

Wow! Steve, do you have to remove the exhaust to get to it? I can’t picture where it is in relation to everything else

So do you mean this connection at turbo? Circled in red.

Dan
View attachment 136127
The one at the cylinder head. Im on a plane right now Dan, take a pic of it from a little further back when you find it. Looking like the muffler needs to be off (or maybe just heat shield) to get to it.

Wow! Steve, do you have to remove the exhaust to get to it? I can’t picture where it is in relation to everything else
No .mine have yellow marks on them ,so mine were checked .12mm

The one at the cylinder head. Im on a plane right now Dan, take a pic of it from a little further back when you find it. Looking like the muffler needs to be off (or maybe just heat shield) to get to it.
Why would any of those items need to come off?

I assumed it was loose at the turbo where I circled if is causing fire hazard? Ill check mine over and take pics of that line from end to end.

Does not surprise me, as nothing I have touched is tight. My chaincase tensioner lock nute was only finger tight, and my chaincase torx screws had barely any torque on them at all, surprised it was not leaking...must be a pretty good gasket for it not to leak with barely more then finger tight. Same with all my clamps.

Need to go over EVERY connection on these sleds.

Dan

Saw a burnt Sidewinder last year in dealers yard. Knew the guy who owned the sled but did not speak with him. I heard from a buddy that an oil spray from engine was the culprit.

Getting back from a ride Tuesday and it went a little later then usual because of Both, late start and my sled not starting.

On return to the truck, the nice trail allowed for some turn on’s just before arriving back at the truck.

Got to the parking lot and shut it off and waited a minute for my riding buddy to pull in. When he arrived and got off his sled we started talking about the GREAT trails that we had experienced on our return loop. We turned to look at the sleds and he pointed to a red glow on the snow,from underneath my exhaust side. Started the sled up to try and cool it off but it went from 172 to 240 before I could get my helmet off. It shut off by itself and was still glowing a red shadow on the snow. I gave it 15 or 20 seconds and started right back up. Temp was at 219, took it for a short ride in the deep snow and returned to parking lot with no more red glow.

Made me wonder about 2 things, shut down procedures after running hard and How easy it would be for anything to ignite near that red hot exhaust.

Arctic cat rotary engines made by Wankel in the 70’s were known for getting belt dust and oil on the belly pan after a few years and then burning because of the placement of that red hot head pipe.

I checked mine today when I was removing my roll over valve. Mine was tight and you only need to remove your hood. It's very easy to get to and it takes a 12 mm socket.

I checked mine today when I was removing my roll over valve. Mine was tight and you only need to remove your hood. It's very easy to get to and it takes a 12 mm socket.
So Joe you are checking it where I circled it?

Always good to check all these bolts often IMO.

No not there, it's the same hose just the other end that goes into the engine. Mine was fine and I'm sure most are but it doesn't hurt to check.
Gotcha, I have several more things to do on mine so Ill go over this as well....I thought I tightened all the bolts and clamps and most were all not tight enough, but not this one. Grrr

Mine was loose at the turbo, wasn't leaking oil but not tight. If your in there, it might be a good idea to check the bolts at both ends of that hose.

Last edited:

Back